• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Spy Movies FINAL: The Manchurian Candidate v. The Odessa File

Our final contestants!

Brackets here:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/100spymovies.php

The Manchurian Candidate

In Korea in 1952, a US Army patrol is ambushed by Communist soldiers. A year later the squad, having escaped, returns to the US, where Staff Sergeant Raymond Shaw is to receive the Medal of Honor for single-handedly saving the lives of the squad. Shaw is the son of Elanor Iselin, wife of US Senator John Yerkes Iselin, and Mrs. Iselin turns the return of Raymond into a political rally that brings out building hostility between son and mother over the ambitions of Johnny Iselin. But there is more involved, for the actions of Raymond Shaw are not what everyone believes they are, and the nightmares of a US Army officer, Bennett Marco, leads to investigation of Raymond that unlocks a stunning political conspiracy that sweeps up Johnny and Elanor Iselin, and which only Bennett Marco can possibly stop.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056218/plotsummary

The Odessa File
    The plot begins on November 22, 1963, the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Peter Miller, a young German reporter, happens to see an ambulance on a highway. He chases the ambulance and discovers it is en route to pick up the body of an elderly Jewish Holocaust survivor who had committed suicide, leaving behind no family. The reporter obtains the diary of the man, which contains information on his life in the World War II camps, and the names of members of the SS who ran the camp. Miller is startled to read in it that an SS officer, Eduard Roschmann, had in anger fatally shot a fellow officer whose description and rare military decorations matched those of Miller's father, who was killed in the war. Now determined to hunt Roschmann down and get revenge, Miller dares to go undercover to join and infiltrate the ODESSA and find Roschmann.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071935/
    The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
    66.67%
    The Odessa File (1974)
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

This should help some:

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

The Odessa File (1974)

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

Comment

I shall stick with Odessa, still a great film.
      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

If I were to vote for Odessa against The Manchurian Candidate it would be on the strength of the book, not the film. Based purely on the films I'm going for Manchurian Candidate, which, incidentally, is my favourite of all the films that appeared in the first round.

Comment

Toughest vote of all. I went with the older one. Older is better in this case.
          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
            Toughest vote of all. I went with the older one. Older is better in this case.
            Yep, that's the way to go.
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I had to go with the original Manchurian Candidate. How could anyone turn down a film that sparked two decades of secret research by the CIA?
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Had to vote for Manchurian. Knew it would be in the final since round 1!
                Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

I'm wondering why I've always voted for the loser...
                  A ME LE GUARDIE
                  "Di noi treṃ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Originally posted by Granatiere View Post
                    I'm wondering why I've always voted for the loser...
                    You're not!
                    Right by your side and we turn the tide, comrade!
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

...the Odessa File for me as well.
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

These two are certainly deserving of being in the finals. I had to go with Manchurian Candidate but it was oh-so-close. Great campaign by the way. It was fun and served as a reminder of some great movies to find and watch again.
                        "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                        - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Watch it . Better than the final imo .
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

geeez, both great movies, but , the Manchurian candidate for me this time...

Comment

Looks like Manchurian is going to win.
                              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X