Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Spy Movies Round 3: THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE vs CASABLANCA

The Manchurian Candidate

In Korea in 1952, a US Army patrol is ambushed by Communist soldiers. A year later the squad, having escaped, returns to the US, where Staff Sergeant Raymond Shaw is to receive the Medal of Honor for single-handedly saving the lives of the squad. Shaw is the son of Elanor Iselin, wife of US Senator John Yerkes Iselin, and Mrs. Iselin turns the return of Raymond into a political rally that brings out building hostility between son and mother over the ambitions of Johnny Iselin. But there is more involved, for the actions of Raymond Shaw are not what everyone believes they are, and the nightmares of a US Army officer, Bennett Marco, leads to investigation of Raymond that unlocks a stunning political conspiracy that sweeps up Johnny and Elanor Iselin, and which only Bennett Marco can possibly stop.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056218/plotsummary

Casablanca

Set in unoccupied Africa during the early days of World War II: An American expatriate meets a former lover, with unforeseen complications.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/
    The Manchurian Candidate
    55.10%
    Casablanca
    44.90%
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Not going to tempt any more wrath from Lady K - Casablanca it is
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Casablanca, far and away the better and more classic choice.
      BoRG
      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Manchurian for me. The true spy movie here. Hated to see these two matched up here. This should be the final.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Agree with Bob on this one, should have been the final. Hated to not vote for either one but in the end I favor Manuchian Candidate a bit more. If you ask on another day I might think differently, they're that close in my mind.
          Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Again, a close choice but Manchurian Candidate seems more 'spyish'..
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
              Manchurian for me. The true spy movie here. Hated to see these two matched up here. This should be the final.
              Bob, you got that right. There is no way that these two films should meet in the round of eight. These are easily the top two out of the hundred we began with. "Manchurian" certainly is more of a spy movie (as well as a mental thriller), Sinatra gives one of his finest dramatic performances, and Angela Lansberry is one of the scariest villains in film history, showing just how great an actress she is in playing a role counter to most of her "nice" roles. That being said,''Casablanca" is the greatest movie of all time and got my vote.
              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I agree with what has been said so far...this should have been the final. I was afraid of this matchup happening before this, but had to go with manchurian. I think it is safe to assume that whichever movie wins from this matchup will be the winner of the whole thing!
                Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                  Not going to tempt any more wrath from Lady K - Casablanca it is
                  Very smart, K. And a good choice. Casablanca does it for me.
                  History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                  _________
                  BoRG

Comment

15 a side - a dead heat so far!

Who will tip the balance...?
                    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                      15 a side - a dead heat so far!

Who will tip the balance...?
                      A smart guy from the snowy Italy... Viva Casablanca!!!
                      A ME LE GUARDIE
                      "Di noi treṃ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                        Agreed. Manchurian should be the ultimate victor.
                        God Save The Republic.

Comment

Von Manstein!!....oops, wrong poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                            Von Manstein!!....oops, wrong poll.

Casablance. 'Bogey reigns supreme'.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                              "... That being said,''Casablanca" is the greatest movie of all time ..."
                              You'd certainly clash with my Mother-in-law on that one. She is adamant that Gone With The Wind is the greatest movie of all time and will brook no argument. She'll claim additional support from a number of well-known polls. Having looked at one or two of those polls myself, I note that Casablanca nearly always rates in the top half dozen or so, as does The Godfather, to name two that vie with GWTW for top slot.
                              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X