Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Spy Movies Round 3: THE GUNS OF NAVARONE V. THE BOURNE TRILOGY

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

Two powerful German guns control the seas past the Greek island of Navarone making the evacuation of endangered British troops on a neighboring island impossible. Air attack is useless so a team of six Allied and Greek soldiers is put ashore to meet up with partisans to try and dynamite the guns. The mission is perilous enough anyway but are the Germans on the island getting further help too?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054953/

The Jason Bourne Trilogy

The character of Bourne in the films is a very quick-thinking, linear type of person who moves quickly and brutally towards his goal. He gives the impression of someone who has been severely traumatized and who is suffering from paranoia. He is tormented by fragment memories of his past. He is highly adept at hand-to-hand combat. He also shows an immediate ability to utilize lateral thinking to solve problems. He sometimes uses improvised weapons, for example using a pen to stab an assassin in The Bourne Identity and using a book and a towel in The Bourne Ultimatum. He is shown using tactical improvisation such as using a fan, torch light and tape to fake his location (The Bourne Ultimatum) and gas, a toaster and a magazine to cause an explosion (Bourne Supremacy). He is also proficient with firearms, explosives, electronics and evasive protocols — for moving, driving, and the like.

The Bourne Identity (2002)
    The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
    The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
    The Guns of Navarone (1961)
    48.94%
    The Jason Bourne Trilogy (2002, 04, 07)
    51.06%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Torien; 24 Jan 10, 07:58.
    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

I know there is some disagreement about the actual nature of Guns of Navarone (Spy movie? War movie?) and to be honest I'll be surprised if it makes it through this round, but I believe Guns is a classic and I have to vote for it when I can.
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Ugh. What a choice: a war movie vs an action film. Where are the spies again?

Comment

gun! Guns! GUNS!
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Bourne.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Yeah, Bourne for me too. The category is 'spy flick' and the GUns of Navarone is more a behind the lines commando mission, even though it had David Niven, Gregory Peck, a great plot and even better music and thefact that I saw it at the movies as an impressionable young man...
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

As much as I liked the Bourne movies, "Navaronne" gets my vote. I know some question whether it is a "spy" movie, but I don't recall them being in British uniforms, so suspect they would have been considered spies by the Germans.
              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                As much as I liked the Bourne movies, "Navaronne" gets my vote. I know some question whether it is a "spy" movie, but I don't recall them being in British uniforms, so suspect they would have been considered spies by the Germans.
                Very much my line of thought and I love to go with your closing argument
                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Had to go for Guns on this one...
                  Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

How sad it is that you have to have 3 movies compete against one.
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Had to go with Guns.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                        How sad it is that you have to have 3 movies compete against one.
                        It is sad. I would have liked to only have one (the 1st) but this is how they were handed to me.

Bourne for me because it is closer to an actual spy film.
                        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSennef View Post
                          Very much my line of thought and I love to go with your closing argument
                          This poll I'm not with Jeroen... Bourne is my favorite
                          A ME LE GUARDIE
                          "Di noi treṃ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Originally posted by Granatiere View Post
                            This poll I'm not with Jeroen... Bourne is my favorite
                            Still nice you take my opinion into consideration
                            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I can't believe that this is tied... The holywood hash of the Bourne trilogy over Guns of Navarone?

If they'd actually tried to follow the books then maybe Bourne, but not the way then actually presented them. It's an insult to some of Ludlum's best work.
                              BoRG
                              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X