Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Spy Movie Round 2: THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD vs. THE ODESSA FILE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Spy Movie Round 2: THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD vs. THE ODESSA FILE

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

When a fellow British agent is killed at Checkpoint Charlie right before his eyes, Alec Lemas, head of the Berlin station, returns to London headquarters. There his boss, Control, inquires if he is tired, burnt out, ready to come in from the cold. Control suggests that there is a vacancy, a desk job, that might interest him, but Alec declines adamantly. Thus, Control immediately mentions that he has something out of the ordinary in mind for a man called Hans-Dieter Mundt, who in 1959 posted as a member of an East German steel mission.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059749/

The Odessa File

The plot begins on November 22, 1963, the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Peter Miller, a young German reporter, happens to see an ambulance on a highway. He chases the ambulance and discovers it is en route to pick up the body of an elderly Jewish Holocaust survivor who had committed suicide, leaving behind no family. The reporter obtains the diary of the man, which contains information on his life in the World War II camps, and the names of members of the SS who ran the camp. Miller is startled to read in it that an SS officer, Eduard Roschmann, had in anger fatally shot a fellow officer whose description and rare military decorations matched those of Miller's father, who was killed in the war. Now determined to hunt Roschmann down and get revenge, Miller dares to go undercover to join and infiltrate the ODESSA and find Roschmann.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071935/
    THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD
    48.94%
    THE ODESSA FILE
    51.06%
    Last edited by Torien; 13 Jan 10, 07:29. Reason: fixed link
    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Haven't seen it, but thoroughly enjoyed the book of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.

And The Odessa File for that matter, but still voting for the first on the grounds that it's a classic.

More of a classic.

That is, a classic I like a bit more.
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Burton is enough for me. Odessa is good, but Cold is better!

BTW, fixed link in opening post.
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

In from the cold most definitly... it's a classic for sure
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

I like Odessa's rhythm...
          A ME LE GUARDIE
          "Di noi treṃ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Odessa. Tough choice.
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

This one was difficult but had to go with Cold.
              Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Well, it shouldn't be a surprise which I vote for. I've been pimping TSWCIFTC since the beginning.

To me, if you ask someone to name THE definitive spy STORY (not just movie), it would be this one. True espionage successes involve getting the other guy to look in directions you want him to. They don't involve things that attract attention such as firefights in public (a la Bourne).

How do you protect a mole? Why not send another of your agents to accuse him of being a mole? Brilliant.

Comment

Very tough choice.
                  How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

A tough choice, but Odessa.
                    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Odessa file... loved the WW2 connection...
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Less than 48 hours still to vote, comrades.
                        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

Round 2 is now closed. Nothing to see here. Move along...
                          _________
                          BoRG

Comment

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I literally have nothing to vote for in the next round. Sob.

Comment

I guess I missed Round 2 while my father was in the hospital. Darn...
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X