No announcement yet.

Greatest Spy Movies Round 2: CLEAR & PRESENT DANGER vs. THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Spy Movies Round 2: CLEAR & PRESENT DANGER vs. THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND

Clear and Present Danger

Jack Ryan is back and this time the bad guys are in his own government. When Admiral James Greer becomes sick with cancer, Ryan is appointed acting CIA Deputy Director of Intelligence. Almost before he can draw a breath in his new position, one of the president's closest friends and his family are murdered in their sleep by what appears to by drug cartels. Ryan is called in to investigate, but unknown to him the CIA has already sent a secret field operative to lead an illegal paramilitary force in Colombia against cartels. Things get even more complicated when his team is set up and he loses and agent in the field and a friend of his wife's, who was the murdered agent's secretary is murdered that same day. Ryan must then risk not only his career, but his life to expose the truth behind the mystery.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109444/

The Osterman Weekend

The film begins with CIA director Maxwell Danforth (Lancaster) watching a filmed recording of agent Laurence Fassett (Hurt) and his wife making love. When Fassett goes into the bathroom to take a shower two assassins enter the bedroom and kill his wife by holding her down and spraying poison into her nostrils. It is hinted that the woman was an innocent bystander sacrificed by Danforth as collateral damage. The agent, unaware of his employer’s involvement, goes almost insane with grief and rage and begins to hunt down the assassins, eventually uncovering a Soviet spy network known as Omega.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Osterman_Weekend_(film)
    CLEAR & PRESENT DANGER
    57.14%
    THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND
    42.86%
    Last edited by Torien; 13 Jan 10, 06:36.
    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Hrm... saw and didn't really like the first, so my vote goes for Osterman Weekend - I'll have to watch it soon
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
      Hrm... saw and didn't really like the first, so my vote goes for Osterman Weekend - I'll have to watch it soon
      I have read both books and watched both movies. Osterman is good (and strange!) but I am going to vote for Danger because it explores the intelligence world on so many levels. Military, espionage, politics, drug-wars, arms-race, romance as a weapon.

Pretty much everything plus a great special forces story. A++ for me!
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

Ostermann weekend, a gritty spy flick.
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Osterman for me. Clear and Present Danger is a cop movie!
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
            I have read both books and watched both movies. Osterman is good (and strange!) but I am going to vote for Danger because it explores the intelligence world on so many levels. Military, espionage, politics, drug-wars, arms-race, romance as a weapon.

Pretty much everything plus a great special forces story. A++ for me!
            I agree. The depth of the movie got my vote.
            Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Voted Ost but Clear is a great great film.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I have to go with Harrison Ford in Clear ans Present Danger. He and Willem DaFoe make Tom Clancy's characters come to life.
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Its funny - despite a fine job by Harrison Ford in C&PD, after Hunt for Red October, I could never really buy another Jack Ryan than Alec Baldwin. Talk about a bad career choice.

In any case, I don't think any of Clancy's movies translated that well onto the big screen. There was too much cool stuff going on in the books to put it all in. Still waiting for an attempt at Red Storm Rising

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                    Its funny - despite a fine job by Harrison Ford in C&PD, after Hunt for Red October, I could never really buy another Jack Ryan than Alec Baldwin. Talk about a bad career choice.

In any case, I don't think any of Clancy's movies translated that well onto the big screen. There was too much cool stuff going on in the books to put it all in. Still waiting for an attempt at Red Storm Rising

Very true, but Clear and Present Danger was the worst! Great book, terrible, terrible, terrible movie! I did not so much vote for Ostermann as agaianst C&PD. It truly needs a .
                    Beware the man of one book.
                    --Thomas Aquinas

http://www.clementsmb.com

Comment

I'd like to see a production of Clancy's "Without Remorse" with Willem DaFoe as Mr. Clark again.
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Less than 48 hours still to vote, comrades.
                        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

Round 2 is now closed. Nothing to see here. Move along...
                          _________
                          BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X