Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Spy Movies Round 2: NORTH BY NORTHWEST vs THE BOURNE TRILOGY

North by Northwest

Middle-aged Madison Avenue advertising executive Roger O. Thornhill (Cary Grant) is mistaken for a government agent by a gang of spies. He gets involved in a series of misadventures and is pursued across the States by both the spies and the government whilst being helped by a beautiful blonde.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053125/

The Jason Bourne Trilogy

The character of Bourne in the films is a very quick-thinking, linear type of person who moves quickly and brutally towards his goal. He gives the impression of someone who has been severely traumatized and who is suffering from paranoia. He is tormented by fragment memories of his past. He is highly adept at hand-to-hand combat. He also shows an immediate ability to utilize lateral thinking to solve problems. He sometimes uses improvised weapons, for example using a pen to stab an assassin in The Bourne Identity and using a book and a towel in The Bourne Ultimatum. He is shown using tactical improvisation such as using a fan, torch light and tape to fake his location (The Bourne Ultimatum) and gas, a toaster and a magazine to cause an explosion (Bourne Supremacy). He is also proficient with firearms, explosives, electronics and evasive protocols — for moving, driving, and the like.

The Bourne Identity (2002)
    The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
    The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
    North by Northwest (1959)
    48.00%
    The Jason Bourne Trilogy (2002, 04, 07)
    52.00%
    Last edited by Torien; 13 Jan 10, 08:41. Reason: fixed link
    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

Arguably as much action movie as espionage, the Bourne Trilogy has done a lot to bring spy movies back to the modern audience - who had been getting used to seeing the slightly overdone (if fun) style of the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies.

Hence my vote there
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
      Arguably as much action movie as espionage, the Bourne Trilogy has done a lot to bring spy movies back to the modern audience - who had been getting used to seeing the slightly overdone (if fun) style of the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies.

Hence my vote there
      You make a good case.

But North by Northwest is in my top 5 of all time films.

Hitchcock, Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, and one of the suavest bad guys ever in James Mason! C'mon!
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

North By Northwest... Classic and not a holywoodised ripoff of an Awesome series ( Bourne) had they followed the books correctly it might have been a different vote.
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Matt Damon is no Cary Grant

Comment

I like Damon's trilogy...
            A ME LE GUARDIE
            "Di noi tremò la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
              Matt Damon is no Cary Grant
              Fortunately
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Bourne for me. Good story, good acting and good action. Hard to beat IMHO.
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I'm going with the Bourne Trilogy. Good plot as well as some awesome action sequences
                  The enemy knows all our secrets and we know none of his. - Grand Admiral (Grobadmiral) Karl Doenitz, Commander-in-Chief (Oberbefehlshaber der Kriegsmarine) of the German Navy (1943).

Comment

I like Bourne but North by Northwest is one of the greatest movies of all time. No comparison IMHO.
                    Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

North would win against two, but not three winners. Bourne for a Holly flick that is smart, catching and intelligent (as opposed to most Hollywood films).
                      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                        You make a good case.

But North by Northwest is in my top 5 of all time films.

Hitchcock, Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, and one of the suavest bad guys ever in James Mason! C'mon!
                        Ditto.
                        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

..another touch choice but I went with the Bourne Trilogy. The sheer abundance of ACTION!
                          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

N byNW.
                            It's an insult to believe other.

thanks.

Comment

I pass on this one

Had it been 'one on one' it might have been easier, but to say that NbNW is better than three Bourne movies
                              Besides, I believe that these Bourne movies are not just good action flicks, they are very well made, soon to be classics themselves
                              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X