Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Blunders: Napoleon in Russia vs Tsushima (Round 5-Final)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Blunders: Napoleon in Russia vs Tsushima (Round 5-Final)

Napoleon’s Invasion of Russia 1812

Why?

Although Napoleon had organized an enormous force, he was lured ever deeper into mother Russia, resulting in the complete annihilation of his force of 500.000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_invasion_of_Russia

Battle of Tsushima May 27-28, 1905

Why?
    Tsushima, a naval battle in the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05, was a massive, humiliating disaster for the Russians. In a very one-sided action, the Russian fleet was almost totally annihilated with minimal loss to the Japanese. Although the outcome – against a superficially strong but actually rather weakened and ineffective opponent – may have been somewhat misleading to Japan, Tsushima was nevertheless instrumental in changing the balance of power, both real and perceived, in favour of Japan and to the great detriment of Russia. Aside from the enormous and far-reaching political consequences, Russia’s naval power had declined to the status of a very minor player, while Japan was now established as the sixth strongest naval power in the World.

Japan sought to secure its sea lines of communication with the Asian mainland, to support a campaign in Manchuria. This required the neutralization of the Russian Pacific Fleet which led, between February and August 1904, to a number of engagements between the two navies and a siege of the Russian Naval base at Port Arthur. By the end of this period, the Japanese had gained the upper hand. With the situation in the Far East rapidly deteriorating, the Russians formed a second Pacific Squadron from the Baltic Fleet and sent them to the contested area. The objectives were to relieve the siege of Port Arthur, link up with remaining elements of the Russian Navy in the region and then overwhelm the Imperial Japanese Navy. This would be co-ordinated with defensive land actions, to delay the Japanese advance into Manchuria sufficiently until Russian reinforcements could arrive by the Trans-Siberian railway. The Russians sailed on 15 October under the command of Admiral Rozhestvensky.

This was a very long voyage, especially as they had been denied access to the Suez Canal and had to go around the Cape of Good Hope. By the time they had arrived in Indochina in April/May 1905, Port Arthur had already fallen so their orders were changed to proceed to Vladivostok. Rozhestvensky chose a route through the Tsushima strait, between Japan and Korea, hoping to slip through the Sea of Japan to Vladivostok without being detected. This hope was dashed by a chance encounter in the early hours of 27 May and by 1.40pm the Russians were met in the strait by the Japanese fleet under Admiral Togo. The Russians were in very poor shape for battle after the long voyage and their morale was low. Furthermore, Japanese levels of skill and training were higher and they had better range-finding equipment. Togo succeeded tactically as well, with bold maneuvering. Action continued through the night and into the next day. The Japanese completely outclassed the Russians, who lost all of their battleships and most of their cruisers and destroyers, for a Japanese loss of three torpedo boats. By the evening of 28 May it was all over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tsushima
    http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/...p/tsushima.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Japanese_War

BoRG
    Invasion of Russia 1812
    73.33%
    Battle of Tsushima 1905
    26.67%
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Vive l'Emperuer!!

Sure is rather chilly isn't it?
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

He had Europe as his vassals and he had the mightiest army of the age but Nappy's ego and unquenchable ambition cost him both. You could blow up your own fleet in the harbour just for the hell of it and it wouldn't get close to losing an army and an Empire in Russia.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

I thought I would vote 1812 but went Battle of Tsushima. At least Napoleon had a chance of winning, although events conspired against him. The whole 1904-5 naval campaign was just an unmitigated disaster on the Russians part, and could easily have been foreseen. Just plain stupid imo.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

(final)ly!

It's easy to see that Nappy's 1812 blunder is much more popular than the mere sinking of a Russian fleet. I would tend to think it more costly a blunder as well, what with the loss of an estimated half-million troops.
          So, FINALLY...the final. I predict that Napoleon's 1812 blunder will win by at least 75-85%. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Napoleon had Europe in the palm of his hand then he lost it all in a gamble with long odds

Comment

Go Nappy go!!!
              A ME LE GUARDIE
              "Di noi tremò la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

No question here......Napoleon FTW-or maybe I should say FTL!
                The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Tsushima. Nick the Noodle explained it very well. Nappy at least had a chance at winning, the Russian Baltic Fleet fighting in the Pacific??? No chance in hell. They should never have been sent. This battle and the whole Russo-Japanese War sent shockwaves throughout the world because there was a new power on the scene and it wasn't white. A wake-up call for the Europeans and the US. Things in Asia would never be the same.
                  Last edited by R. Evans; 12 Jul 10, 08:09.
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Napoleon all the way! Long live the Emperor! Long live the revolution! Vive la France!
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    — Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                      Napoleon all the way! Long live the Emperor! Long live the revolution! Vive la France!
                      Long live the Emperor's greatest defeat??
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                        Long live the Emperor's greatest defeat??
                        Of course. I'm pro-English!
                        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                        — Groucho Marx

Comment

Napoleon really screwed the pooch there....
                          "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
                          -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

Oh man! This isn't even a contest !
                            Nappy is wiping the floor with Tsushima...just as he did with the rest of Europe between 1796-1815!!!!

Greets,
                            Stratego
                            Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

How many wild cards are there?

What will tsushima do?
                              BoRG
                              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X