Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Blunder: Franco-Prussian vs France 1940 (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Where do you get only one blunder? It was a long series of blunders, one after the other that led to 1940.
    The Allies should'eve been in Belgium in force in October 1939...
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

1940 bigger blunder as it did not even need to happen. They could just have marched into Germany and seized the industrial base in the Ruhr while Hitler was busy in Poland ("The phony war"). That was what Hitler was afraid of, he was not the one to declare war on France.

Comment

No question at all;

the winner of this tournament will be the UNCOUNTABLE and HORRENDOUS blunders of
        FRANCE 1940
        - endangered only by the MASSIVE blunders at LECHFELD 955

Regards
        Kruska

Comment

Originally posted by Kruska View Post
          No question at all;

the winner of this tournament will be the UNCOUNTABLE and HORRENDOUS blunders of - endangered only by the MASSIVE blunders at LECHFELD 955

Regards
          Kruska
          Not hardly, Lechfeld doesn't even come close. It's a mosquito bite compared to the blunder of Karansebes
          BoRG
          "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
            Not hardly, Lechfeld doesn't even come close. It's a mosquito bite compared to the blunder of Karansebes
            I do not believe that Snoopy agrees with you - isn't that the rooftop of Augsburg's St. Ulrich church that he sits on to watch the

MASSIVE military blunders at LECHFELD 955

Regards
            Kruska
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Kruska; 19 May 10, 13:21.

Comment

I do not believe that Snoopy agrees with you - isn't that the rooftop of Augsburg's St. Ulrich church that he sits on to watch the

MASSIVE military blunders at LECHFELD 955

Regards
              Kruska
              Nope, that's his Doghouse Sopwith upon which he battles time and again the Red Baron, before returning to the Aerodrome and retiring to the local Cafe to comiserate with his fellows and discuss the Cosmic Blunder of KARANSEBES
              BoRG

Comment

Folks that still have to vote,

Believe me, this poll was a difficult choice for me also.

However, I would like you all to pull the Franco-Prussian war through it IS the most deserving of the two.

I know that 50% of the people here are WWII buffs and that therefore voting on France 1940 is very tempting - like lions in the African savannah and the dogs in the slums of Mexico-city- it is your well known territory.
                Many of you have heard of the Franco-Prussian war but it ends there…why it was fought and how, many of you don’t have a clue and don’t get me wrong: this is not wrong ! No, you can’t know everything…and also, perhaps the 19th century battles that do not directly involve the US or the UK are less interesting to you.

No problem, this is completly understandable…

Yet it IS of importance that when one votes on such an important website, with 25.000 members and with a tournament of such importance that we at least, read up a little on the candidates before we vote. I mean, any sane man does this also when we have to vote for our political party or president during the elections, or not?

Therefore the sane men and women here that are part of our highly interactive have read upon both battles, they have given both of them an equal chance…that is how I know my fellow members of ACG. They are historically very knowledgeable and they are smart and especially disciplined as to not vote on just the battle that they have “heard” the most of…

I suggest that those that have not voted yet, to give the less popular candidate an equal chance. When they read up on the Franco-Prussian war they will find that the war – WAR I said, not campaign- was a disaster from day 1 till day 42 – yes day 42- was a domino of blunders, the one after the other. Never have such incompetent commanders had control of an army as the French army during that war. The French soldiers were motivated enough and the army HAD the possibility to give the Prussians a good run for their money, but the high command and most officers were just terrible.

Never have I seen such military blunders, never have I seen such lowsy coordination, never have I seen such lifeless leaders as in that war…I can assure you, In 1940 the French army wasn’t THAT BAD !!!!

Anybody who wishes to reply to me in order to say that the French army command of 1940 was WORSE has not, in all honesty, read up on both candidates as it should.

He’s a lion in the African savannah, he’s a dog in a slum of Mexico-city…

C’mon voters, vote the Franco-Prussian War !!!!!
                Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                  Nope, that's his Doghouse Sopwith upon which he battles time and again the Red Baron, before returning to the Aerodrome and retiring to the local Cafe to comiserate with his fellows and discuss the Cosmic Blunder of KARANSEBES
                  Sorry I just found the original photos from Lechfeld 955 - please see for yourseld - it is Snoopy sitting on the church roof and he is looking

straight into the eye's of a HUN at LECHFELD 955

Regards
                  Kruska
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Kruska; 19 May 10, 13:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
                    Folks that still have to vote,

.............. Never have I seen such military blunders, never have I seen such lowsy coordination, never have I seen such lifeless leaders as in that war…I can assure you, In 1940 the French army wasn’t THAT BAD !!!!

Anybody who wishes to reply to me in order to say that the French army command of 1940 was WORSE has not, in all honesty, read up on both candidates as it should.

He’s a lion in the African savannah, he’s a dog in a slum of Mexico-city…

C’mon voters, vote the Franco-Prussian War !!!!!
                    Being a rat living in the suburbs of Shanghai - I say that besides LECHFELD 955 - nothing can beat the UNCOUNTABLE and HORRENDOUS military blunders of
                    FRANCE 1940

More then any words could ever say:

Regards
                    Kruska
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Kruska; 19 May 10, 13:43.

Comment

Sorry I just found the original photos from Lechfeld 955 - please see for yourseld - it is Snoopy sitting on the church roof and he is looking

straight into the eye's of a HUN at LECHFELD 955

Regards
                      Kruska
                      It is my belief that the picture has been doctored to favour your argument as the Huns were known to have had blue plumes on their helmets and not Red.

And Furthermore... VOTE KARANSEBES! Greatest Military Blunder in History!
                      BoRG

Comment

1870. The painting needs the Marx Brothers though.
                        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                        — Groucho Marx

Comment

Another real hard one.

Is it me but it seems that in both cases the French were trying to fight the current war with the last war's doctrine...

My vote goes to 1870.

Comment

Get your votes in now.....

Poll is set to close shortly!!!!
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

This poll is now closed.........

However the thread remains open, so please feel free to continue discussion.

ACG wishes to thank all participants. We look forward to your continuing support in Round 2.
                              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

1940 was far worse. Regardless of the many stupifying blunders of Nappy III, the fact is that the Germans could not occupy France for the indefinate future. This issue at stake in these contests is how much the blunders cost the loser or imperiled their survival. France recovered on it's own after 1870, they could not have done that in 1940 without foriegn help.
                                How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
                                275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X