YOUR favorite blunders...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOUR favorite blunders...

So, now that the preliminaries have started and the first quarter of the votes are in (we usually get about 70), what are your favorite blunders?

Which ones do you hope will win?

Greets,
    Stratego
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Hello you - "Pilum-lover"

I am sure that you have realized about missing out on THE most EXTRAORDINARY MILITARY BLUNDER - the Battle of LECHFELD 955

Uncountable books have been written about this HIGHLIGHT in regards to Military Blunders e.g;
    http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-167978455.html

Charles R. Bowlus, The Battle of Lechfeld and its Aftermath, August 955: The End of the Age of Migrations in the Latin West (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006). xxiv + 223 pp. ISBN 0-7546-5470-2. 47.50 [pounds sterling]. The Hungarians due to their historic blunder at Lechfeld in 955, were the last of the nomadic peoples to move west, following on after the Huns and Avars, settling in about 900 in the Carpathian Basin, which approximates to modern Hungary. Their

BTW not only the PREDOMINANT BLUNDER of the Magyars (Huns) made Lechfeld famous - but it was a large production and testing site for V weapons and German Jet-fighters of WWII.

But this chapter would be another Blunder at Lechfeld and Lechauen

However TWO Blunders Second to noneat the same location - decided it already to be the winner of this contest.
    Lechfeld 955
    Regards
    Kruska
    Last edited by Kruska; 25 Apr 10, 09:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruska View Post
      Hello you - "Pilum-lover"

I am sure that you have realized about missing out on THE most EXTRAORDINARY MILITARY BLUNDER - the Battle of LECHFELD 955

Uncountable books have been written about this HIGHLIGHT in regards to Military Blunders e.g;
      http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-167978455.html

Charles R. Bowlus, The Battle of Lechfeld and its Aftermath, August 955: The End of the Age of Migrations in the Latin West (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006). xxiv + 223 pp. ISBN 0-7546-5470-2. 47.50 [pounds sterling]. The Hungarians due to their historic blunder at Lechfeld in 955, were the last of the nomadic peoples to move west, following on after the Huns and Avars, settling in about 900 in the Carpathian Basin, which approximates to modern Hungary. Their

BTW not only the PREDOMINANT BLUNDER of the Magyars (Huns) made Lechfeld famous - but it was a large production and testing site for V weapons and German Jet-fighters of WWII.

But this chapter would be another Blunder at Lechfeld and Lechauen

However TWO Blunders Second to noneat the same location - decided it already to be the winner of this contest.
      Lechfeld 955
      Regards
      Kruska
      Kruska, you are just crazy man !!!!
      This morning Lechfeld only had 9 votes, now it already has 20 and you're in the running...

AMAZING !

You're in the running to receive the medal for "toughest campaigner" IMO !

However, these are only the preliminaries, you still got a long way to go !!!!

Greets,
      Stratego
      Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
        However, these are only the preliminaries, you still got a long way to go !!!!
        Greets,
        Stratego
        WHAT?!! Preliminaries what a blunder

Why do the Utmost blunders of LECHFELD 955 and
        FRANCE 1940
        have to pass preliminaries if they undoubtetly pose the ultimate of blunders

Regards
        Kruska

Comment

Kruska, ok I have voted for LECHFELD 955. Is that better?
          In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
          - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
            Stop encouraging him!
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Tannenburg. The whole tempo of WW1 was decided there and then - and as wars go it was a pretty big one.
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                Tannenburg. The whole tempo of WW1 was decided there and then - and as wars go it was a pretty big one.
                Rojik - you are a man of acute perspicacity

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                  Has anyone seriously postulated that Samsonov's suicide after the defeat might not have been a suicide, but an assisted suicide? IIRC there was some mystery about his death.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
                    Hello Johnny_Reb,
                    Sure, muuuuuuch better - - thanks - Oh by the way - did you vote for the:

the Utmostblunders of LECHFELD 955

THE most EXTRAORDINARY MILITARY BLUNDER - the Battle of LECHFELD 955

THE most PREDOMINANT MILITARY BLUNDER - the Battle of LECHFELD 955

THE Second to none MILITARY BLUNDER - the Battle of LECHFELD 955

or the MEGA MILITARY BLUNDERS of the Battle of LECHFELD 955

Regards
                    Kruska
                    Last edited by Kruska; 29 Apr 10, 15:45.

Comment

For me it has to be 1812, for both its scope and its impact on world history.

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

just because of its complete and utter lack of decent stratergy and idiotic loss of life the somme gets my vote

Comment

Originally posted by hmsvictory View Post
                          just because of its complete and utter lack of decent stratergy and idiotic loss of life the somme gets my vote
                          The Somme is a logical choice given the catastrophic loss of life. The 1812 invasion of Russia has be the favorite of this contest. What I don't understand is the exclusion of the 1941 invasion of the Soviet Union . That resulted in the death of millions.
                          God Save The Republic.

Comment

I think that the 1812 and the 1941 invasions are on a par given the loss of life - they were each a (more or less identical) plan to beat Russia, cause massive damage to her armies, seize a swathe of territory and force them to surrender - 'or else'.

The fact that they hadn't really thought 'or else what?' was perhaps a major failing (or even a blunder!) but I'd say the real 1812 blunder was refusing to adapt from the Grande Armee feeding itself off the land when there was no feed to be had.

Oops?
                            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

I have a new blunder that did not make the list. McClellan's failure to crush Lee at Antietam and end the civil war in September 1862.

McClellen :
                              Had a vastly superior force
                              Had Lee on the wrong side of the Potomac.
                              Knew Lee's complete battle plan
                              Knew that Lee's forces were scattered and he
                              Knew the location of each Confederate Corps.

With all that He STILL only achieved a tactical draw. He failed to win the war right there and then. Talk about an OOPS !
                              God Save The Republic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X