This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight greatest BLUNDERS !!! Part III

Part III of the 100 most mindboggling, crazy and unbelievable military campaigns in World History !

The intent & purpose of this thread is to discuss, suggest and revise...come to general village consensus for the coming poll that will decide the 8 battles to advance to the Greatest Military Blunders Campaign.
    It is the purpose here to argue the ones which YOU feel are worthy to advance to the big smack down!

Discuss without arguing, debate without getting personal and have fun

The ACG Staff

PS: Donít forget ladies and gentlemen! You are already allowed to use your WILD CARD in the preliminaries: for more info visit http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=91795

Battle of Zenta 1697
    2.44%
    Charles XII march into Russia AND Poltava 1708-1709
    6.91%
    Battle of Culloden 1746
    4.07%
    Battle at the Monogahela 1755
    1.83%
    Battle of Rossbach 1757
    1.02%
    Battle of Ticonderoga 1758
    5.08%
    Battle of Plassey 1757
    1.83%
    Battle of Camden 1780
    0.81%
    Battle of Yorktown 1781
    7.11%
    Battle of Karansebes 1788
    3.86%
    Battle of Wabash 1791
    2.24%
    Battle of Valmy 1792
    1.83%
    Napoleonís Egyptian Campaign 1798-1801
    6.10%
    Battle of Jena 1806
    3.05%
    Napoleonís Invasion of Russia 1812
    11.99%
    US invasion of Canada 1812-1813
    8.33%
    Battle of Boyaca 1819
    1.42%
    The battle of Nsamankow 1824
    0.61%
    Siege of the Alamo 1836
    4.27%
    1st Anglo-Afghan War 1839-1842
    5.28%
    The Crimean War 1853-1856
    7.32%
    Union Campaigns 1861-1865
    3.25%
    Confederate Campaigns 1861-1865
    3.05%
    The Austro-Prussian War 1866
    5.69%
    Battle of Tuyuti 1866
    0.61%
    Last edited by Stratego; 23 Apr 10, 18:18.
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

I can tell already that this is going to be the most difficult batch of the "100 Blunders".

The votes are all different, the opinions are very broad...

I wonder which ones will go through !

Greets,
    Stratego

Oh no !!!! I just noticed
    I forgot to vote on Bolivar's Boyaca !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Stratego; 24 Apr 10, 05:06.
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

Is this another ACG Campaign or just a thread for fun?
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Amused and horrified that Karansebes isn't doing any better.

A massive Austrian Army deals an own goal to itself for 10 000 casualties against... gypsy schnapps?

Accidents may happen, but when they devolve into cavalry charges, artillery bombardment inside their own camp, an entire army coming unraveled and heads of state being unceremoniously unhorsed into a stream... what's not to love?

Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post

A massive Austrian Army deals an own goal to itself for 10 000 casualties against... gypsy schnapps?

Accidents may happen, but when they devolve into cavalry charges, artillery bombardment inside their own camp, an entire army coming unraveled and heads of state being unceremoniously unhorsed into a stream... what's not to love?

True, very true K !

It got my vote anyhow together with Wabash !

I think we'll need to do some more campaigning to get some votes in...or we'll have to play out our WILD CARDS in the preliminaries already !!!!

Greets,
          Stratego
          Last edited by Stratego; 24 Apr 10, 09:38.

BORG

Comment

If in the poll were the battle of Custoza (1866), there were no match...
            A ME LE GUARDIE
            "Di noi tremÚ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Greastest Blunders of the Napoleonic Era....

This seems a no-brainer for me, at least at the top of the list. Napoleon never should've messed with Russia; it was his undoing.

The Crimean War and the Battle of Yorktown have been given notice, and with any luck Bob or someone else will step in with some thoughts about that.

But the US Invasion of Canada scoring votes seems to be a mistake to me. I've stolen a few notes from wikipedia on the subject because it isn't one that I've studied.

I suspect the Canadian and British nationalism of a few of our members is clouding the topic, because it doesn't seem to be a Great Blunder... Am I mistaken?

Here's the notes...

Originally posted by ala Wiki
              Napoleonís Invasion of Russia 1812

The Russian victory over the French army in 1812 marked a huge blow to Napoleon's ambitions of European dominance. This war was the reason the other coalition allies triumphed once and for all over Napoleon.

His army was shattered, and morale was low, both for French troops still in Russia, fighting battles just before the campaign ended, and for the troops on other fronts.

Out of an original force of 500,000Ė600,000, only 40,000 frost-bitten and half starved survivors stumbled back into France.

The Russian campaign was the decisive turning-point of the Napoleonic Wars that ultimately led to Napoleon's defeat and exile on the island of Elba.

The campaign also had revealed that Napoleon was not invincible, putting an end to his reputation as an undefeated military genius.
              Originally posted by ala Wiki
              US invasion of Canada 1812-1813

Battles were fought on the frontier, which ran along the Great Lakes and Saint Lawrence River and separated the U.S. from Upper and Lower Canada.

During the war, the Americans and British invaded each other's territory. These invasions were unsuccessful or temporary.

At the end of the war, the British held parts of Maine and some outposts in the sparsely populated West, while the Americans held Canadian territory near Detroit.

The decisive use of naval power came on the Great Lakes and depended on a contest of building ships.

In 1813, the Americans won control of Lake Erie and cut off British and Native American forces to the west from their supplies.

Control of Lake Ontario changed hands several times, with neither side able or willing to take advantage of the temporary superiority.
              And, just as an aside, let's given mention to one of the lesser-known, but still great, blunders.

The Battle of Wabash in 1791, featuring bogus supply lines, poor quality soldiers, and inept commanders...

Anyone want to put something more substantial forward on what seems like a gimme with that one?
              Last edited by Paul Mann III; 24 Apr 10, 14:46.
              "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post

Karansebes will definitely get my vote. Any time an army attacks itself and routs itself from the field of battle before the enemy even shows up deserves to be called a blunder. If not, than no battle deserves that epithet.

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                  Karansebes will definitely get my vote. Any time an army attacks itself and routs itself from the field of battle before the enemy even shows up deserves to be called a blunder. If not, than no battle deserves that epithet.
                  It's in my TOP 10 also !!!!
                  It's an awesome blunder !

Greets,
                  Stratego

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
                    Oh no !!!! I just noticed
                    I forgot to vote on Bolivar's Boyaca !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Picked you up, my friend.
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                      Picked you up, my friend.
                      Thanks Bud, I also see that as I was snoozing, it received 5 extra votes...I bet my colleague "Bolivar fan", Bob voted on it also

Greets,
                      Stratego

BORG

Comment

Come on folks !

Vote on Karanbeses !!!!

Let's exceed ourselves, honor history and the truth...now follow me to VICTORY!!!!

Greets,
                        Stratego

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
                          True, very true K !

It got my vote anyhow together with Wabash !

I think we'll need to do some more campaigning to get some votes in...or we'll have to play out our WILD CARDS in the preliminaries already !!!!

Greets,
                          Stratego
                          Hello "Pilum-lover"

in this case I have to fully agree with you - Nothing on this section could beat Karansebes or Wabash-Brigadier Harmar,-rumored to be drunk .

I can't follow on Napoleon-Russia as being a blunder - it was sh#it cold thats all.

Karansebes must be the winner - it has a striking simmilarity to the EXTREME BLUNDERS of LECHFELD 955

defeat of Magyars (in Hungary: The Christian kingdom)
                          Indeed, their raiding forces suffered a number of severe reverses, culminating in a disastrous defeat at the hands of the German king Otto I in 955 at the Battle of Lechfeld, outside Augsburg (in present-day Germany).

It is such an Extreme BLUNDER that even PC games have been designed so as to study the impact of an horrendous Blunder.

http://aok.heavengames.com/news/Lechfeld1.jpg

Regards
                          Kruska
                          Last edited by Kruska; 25 Apr 10, 07:04.

Comment

Come on, Braddock's defeat on the Monogahela deserves more votes. The battle for Ticonderoga was a slaughter because of inept command. The same can be said for the battle on the Wabash, the worst defeat of an American army by native forces. Let's get some votes for these three!

Comment

Done and done there, Sea Dog. I put a vote in for the Seige of the
                              Alamo as well. Bowie and Travis didn't stand a chance going up against Santa Ana. Nice to see though, that Sam Houston got the best of old Santy Anno thanks in part to the 'Yellow Rose of Tejas"
                              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X