No announcement yet.

Greatest/Best Tank - Transportability & Deployment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might not be easier to transport, but if the requirements of the user are taken into account (as suggested in the OP), the T-34 becomes more of a transportation bargain perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
      It might not be easier to transport, but if the requirements of the user are taken into account (as suggested in the OP), the T-34 becomes more of a transportation bargain perhaps?
      You mean, it's of greater value when it gets to its destination? I didn't intend for requirements of the user to include that; but my wording was far from watertight and others may have done so.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

If we're talking loading onto a ship, then the M4 is probably the winner. If we're talking loading on a train, then it becomes a turkey shoot, as so many of the smaller designs were just perfect for that.

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
          If we're talking loading onto a ship, then the M4 is probably the winner. If we're talking loading on a train, then it becomes a turkey shoot, as so many of the smaller designs were just perfect for that.
          ... and that's where the needs of the user were meant to come into play, when I was working on this criterion. What means of transport and deployment did they need to use; and to what extent did the design and characteristics of the tank help to facilitate those transport needs. To put it another way, how readily 'transportable' was the tank using the range of transport means the user was likely to employ, and over the distances and variety of theatres/scenarios this needed to occur? If a tank never needed to be moved by ship, then shipping was not to be a consideration.

How good for battle the tank actually was compared to other tanks, when it got where it was going, was not meant to figure in the reckoning. At least, that was my intention but I didn't word it clearly enough.
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
            You mean, it's of greater value when it gets to its destination? I didn't intend for requirements of the user to include that; but my wording was far from watertight and others may have done so.
            Ah, I misunderstood the phrase, then. Apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
              Ah, I misunderstood the phrase, then. Apologies.
              No apology necessary, Chris. My fault entirely, for not being precise enough with my wording ...

... but then, I had to put an awful lot of words together over this whole thing, so maybe I could cut myself just a little bit of slack here.

Comment

Definitely.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X