Greatest/Best Tank - The 'Edge' Factor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBark View Post
    I see the top, its the order of 3 through 9 I don't get.
    In your opinion then, John, how would you re-arrange places 3 through 9; and why in each case?
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

I'm a bit like John. Perhaps a few tweaks to the order of 2-9: Char-B ahead of Matilda as it was equally as well armoured by had a couple of better guns. I'm not sure if the Panther and Churchill should rate as well as they do - they had lousy debuts. Their performance at Kursk and Dieppe respectively hardly inspired fear.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
        In your opinion then, John, how would you re-arrange places 3 through 9; and why in each case?
        Oops...I stepped in it.

1st - Tiger I (9.9)
        Equal 2nd - Panther, Tiger II and KV-1 (8.5)
        3rd - IS-2
        4th - Churchill
        5th - T-34
        6th - M4
        7th - PzIV
        8th - Matilda
        9th - Char B

I don't have a reason for each selection, let me just say it is more of a gut feeling (probably how a fair amount of our voting was done) than something more concrete. I definitely see the IS-2 up there and as I read more about the Churchill I have to suspect it chilled the Axis and gave a boost to its own boys. I bumped the M4 up even though it gets so much bad press here and with Belton Cooper I can't help but think back to the introduction of Armored Thunderbolt where Zaloga recounted the the M4 was thought of as having won the war in the late 1940's. I think our boys were glad when our armor showed up and I think the Germans must have though there was a line of M4's coming out of Detroit that would never end. I bumped Matilda down because my reading showed it's time in the limelight as wasn't enough to warrant that spot. Char B pretty much defaulted to #9.
        John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

fair enough
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

This is a very tricky topic, specially for us less than right up with it, very cunning

Tiger 1 is the winner of course, from it's introduction right through to the end of the war it was the tank to beat. The rest? Matilda had it's day in the sun despite it's ineffectrive HE, a battle winner when it counted.

Sherman? Not a fan but in NA it was a step forward compared with what had been previously available. In the Pacific, what else could there could compete, a winner there for sure.

Mark IV? Underated I think, given that it was there for the entire war, with a gun that got the job done most times. What other tank can claim that?

Still trying to work all this out, yeh, over think sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by richard g View Post

Mark IV? Underated I think, given that it was there for the entire war, with a gun that got the job done most times. What other tank can claim that?
              How many others were in substantial first-line service as gun tanks for the entire war? Kinda narrows down the field, I think.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X