No announcement yet.

Greatest/Best Tank - Protection & Survivability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll go with Tiger I here for its longevity and the effectiveness of its armor throughout its service life. It was first manufactured in mid-1942, but was a fearsome sight on the battlefield right to the end of the war, when the majority of enemy tank guns would still find it troubling.

Excellent: Tiger II, KV-1, Churchill, Matilda II (very good for a short period, but solved by the long 5 cm gun), IS-2, Char B
    Good: Panther, SOMUA
    OK: M3, M4, Pz.Kpfw.III, Pz.Kpfw.IV, Cromwell, T-34, Valentine (decent armor, but some models were riveted)
    Poor: Pz.Kpfw.38(t), BT, M13/40, Type 97, Crusader

Comment

Thanks Chris, all entered.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Final Scores for 'Protection & Survivability'

Final Scores for the 'Protection & Survivability' poll:

1st - Tiger I (37.3)
        2nd - Tiger II (37.1)
        3rd - KV-1 (35.1)
        4th - Matilda II (35.8)
        5th - Churchill (35)
        6th - Char B-1 bis (31.6)
        7th - IS-2 (29.8)
        8th - Panther (28.4)
        9th - T-34 (22.7)
        10th - M4 Medium (19.7)
        11th - Valentine (19.3)
        12th - PzKpfw IV (18.3)
        13th - Somua S-35 (17.8)
        14th - Cromwell (17.7)
        15th - PzKpfw III (15.5)
        16th - M3 Medium (14.2)
        17th - PzKpfw 38(t) (11)
        18th - BT-5/7 (7.2)
        19th - Type 97 (6)
        20th - Crusader (5.8)
        21st - M13-40 (0.5)

Comments:

I find this interesting, in that members have obviously given some careful thought to the period of first-line service and not simply plumped for the thickest armour. They have also considered survivability at least to some extent; not just the primary protection afforded by armour. For the most part, I think this has shaken down fairly well but I would differ on a few of the placings. For example, the protection and survivability factors for Crusader would not, IMO, have been any lower than for PzKpfw 38(t) at the least. There are at least one or two others I might quibble about but I'll see what you guys think of these placings.
        Last edited by panther3485; 12 Aug 12, 01:55.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

i would have to say it was clearly one of the late model IS series, they were killing tiger 2's at 600 yards when a tiger had to be at 400 yards. this is mostly because the IS had a 122mm cannon but a good defense is a good offense

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieJames7 View Post
            i would have to say it was clearly one of the late model IS series, they were killing tiger 2's at 600 yards when a tiger had to be at 400 yards. this is mostly because the IS had a 122mm cannon but a good defense is a good offense
            Hi FrankieJames,

Firstly, a warm welcome to ACG.

Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately, these tank polls closed a few years ago but I can imagine that you would probably have enjoyed voting in them; had you been a member at that time.

A new set of tank polls is likely to come up in the relatively near future (that is, within the next year or so) and we are also thinking of one on warships prior to that. I don't know how far your interests go but we like to have something for everyone here.

Best regards,
            Paul

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X