Greatest/Best Tank - Protection & Survivability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
    Only the ones fighting in East Asia/the Pacific.
    I must admit to knowing next to nothing about tank actions in Burma. As for Shermans when assaulting the Pacific islands, I got the impression that losses were very high, not due to enemy tanks, but due to mines, at guns etc. Pleased to be educated here. Anyone recommend a book on M4's in the PTO?
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Yeide's The Infantry's Armor and Gilbert's Marine Tank Battles in the Pacific would be good places to start. There's also Salecker's Rolling Thunder against the Rising Sun; that one's on my shelf but it's still in line to read.

Comment

Originally posted by DogDodger View Post
        Yeide's The Infantry's Armor and Gilbert's Marine Tank Battles in the Pacific would be good places to start. There's also Salecker's Rolling Thunder against the Rising Sun; that one's on my shelf but it's still in line to read.
        Just ordered Yeide's book as under 15 inc p&p . +1 shortly.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
          Three different longitudinal cross-sectional scale drawings in Baryatinskiy's volume on the T-34 (one on page 19; the second on page 42; the third on page 52), for different models of T-34/76, all clearly show a "firewall" (described as a 'bulkhead' in the book).
          The multiple question marks mean I am questioning my own recollection. Remember what I told you. I'll look in to it with what little I have.
          John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            Perhaps, but extraordinarily high crew survival rates for an assault tank speaks volumes.
            I don't doubt the protection level and higher survival rate. I offer it simply as factor which might help one go one way or the other. When I saw the drawing I remembered reading that Tal designed the Merkava with crew survival as a top priority and put it up front.
            John

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
              The multiple question marks mean I am questioning my own recollection. Remember what I told you. I'll look in to it with what little I have.
              I stand corrected. Don't let it happen again.
              John

Comment

"The multiple question marks mean I am questioning my own recollection. ... "
                Yeah, I know but I thought you might need a little help with the questioning.

"I stand corrected. Don't let it happen again."
                We shall both do our best, no doubt.
                "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

I went with the Tiger II on this one. The Matty II was way up there and almost swayed me. The only thing keeping from voting otherwise is the difference in the penetration power of other tank and AT guns between the two in their prime. As far as my knowledge goes (not very far) is that a Tiger II was never penetrated in combat.
                  Another thing that almost swayed me to the Matilda II was the mechanical reliability of the tiger II not being that great. A tank stuck in the field is as good as dead. However, primarily being crew protection and survivability, all other factor's being omitted, the Tiger II gets my vote.
                  "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                    I went with the Tiger II on this one. The Matty II was way up there and almost swayed me. The only thing keeping from voting otherwise is the difference in the penetration power of other tank and AT guns between the two in their prime. As far as my knowledge goes (not very far) is that a Tiger II was never penetrated in combat.
                    Another thing that almost swayed me to the Matilda II was the mechanical reliability of the tiger II not being that great. A tank stuck in the field is as good as dead. However, primarily being crew protection and survivability, all other factor's being omitted, the Tiger II gets my vote.
                    With the thing about Tiger II never being penetrated in combat, you need to add "no known proven instance" and "frontally"; i.e. there is no known proven instance of Tiger II being penetrated frontally during combat. It was penetrated from the sides and rear in combat on a very substantial number of occasions; and frontally under test range conditions.

That said, I believe Tiger II is indeed a very worthy candidate against this particular criterion. IMO, its protection was equal to or better than any other series production tank that served in combat in WW2. Outside of what would normally be thought of as protection, it also had the 'reach' to out-gun any of those opponents (even though that factor did not come into play very much during the last year of the war). Beyond protection, some attributes of Tiger II are dubious but those are for the other polls, not this one.

Thanks Chad, your score has been recorded.
                    Last edited by panther3485; 25 May 12, 02:38.
                    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      With the thing about Tiger II never being penetrated in combat, you need to add "no known proven instance" and "frontally"; i.e. there is no known proven instance of Tiger II being penetrated frontally during combat. It was penetrated from the sides and rear in combat on a very substantial number of occasions; and frontally under test range conditions.

That said, I believe Tiger II is indeed a very worthy candidate against this particular criterion. IMO, its protection was equal to or better than any other series production tank that served in combat in WW2. Outside of what would normally be thought of as protection, it also had the 'reach' to out-gun any of those opponents (even though that factor did not come into play very much during the last year of the war). Beyond protection, some attributes of Tiger II are dubious but those are for the other polls, not this one.

Thanks Chad, your score has been recorded.
                      Thank you for the elaboration on the instances about the penetration of the Tiger II Paul. I usually always leave something out of a statement, IE. "never known to be penetrated frontally in combat". Leaving out penetrations from the side and or rear leaves a door wide open to bite me in the a$$. Thanks again Panther.
                      Cheers,
                      Chad
                      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                        Thank you for the elaboration on the instances about the penetration of the Tiger II Paul. I usually always leave something out of a statement, IE. "never known to be penetrated frontally in combat". Leaving out penetrations from the side and or rear leaves a door wide open to bite me in the a$$. Thanks again Panther.
                        Cheers,
                        Chad
                        My pleasure, Chad, and thanks for your participation.

Comment

Benchmark: Tiger I

Excellent: Char B1 bis, KV-1, Matilda II, IS-2, Tiger II,
                          Churchill
                          Good: Valentine, Somua S-35, Panther, T-34 (76 and 85 combined), , Cromwell, PzKpfw 38(t), Type 97 Chi-Ha
                          PzKpfw IV (short & long guns combined)
                          OK: M3 Medium, BT-5/7, PzKpfw III, M4 Medium (all versions combined)

Poor: Crusader, M 13-40/14-41/15-42

I might have jumped a little hard to the 'survivability' side vice the 'protection' side of this equation, however, I will justify my logic.

Certainly for its period in the war the Matilda II was the most obscenely heavily armored SOB deployed (the Char I, I personally can't count as deployed since it showed up about like a drunk elephant at a party). However, your average fat man could keep up with a Matilda, if she was moving at speed. If she wasn't moving flat out she could be caught by a snapping turtle. Suffice it to say that on the attack only the Matilda was survivable. If she was needed for a mobile defense, she was screwed as every other tank out there could run circles around her, not to mention her gun didn't give her a lot of range to counter that lack of maneuverability with. Therefore my Benchmark is the Tiger I, superior protection, superior gun to let it engage the enemy where its protection made it nigh invulnerable, and enough speed to allow it to protect itself from being flanked operationally.

For the rest of my excellent category, they were great heavily armored tanks, but sacrificed in one or another area too much to make them truly 'survivable'. In the good category you have tanks that had an edge in survivability when they were first introduced, but lost it quickly....or started off without an edge and then a later version sigificantly pumped them up to a good level. The PzIV is an example of the latter, started off with poor protection, but the Ausf F and G models brought it up to state of the art, if only temporarily, for a medium tank. In the Ok category you have those that were well, ok. The III was never upgraded quite as much as the IV, so it fits here. The Sherman later on got some one-offs that made it better, but it was always outclassed in protection. The poor normally speak for themselves.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Thanks Robert.

All scores recorded.

Comment

It's the KV-1.
                              The Matilda Mk II and the Tiger II made me think hard, but generally speaking, at the time when it was first fielded, the KV-1 caused more consternation than the other two in those who had to pierce it.

One thing I remember from an Italian veteran's memoirs is that the botton hull of the Matilda was not that thick. They had learned that mines worked well, and additionally that if the Matilda had to cross over the small walls made of rocks that were often featured in the defense networks, that was the time when a 47mm ATG had a chance even against its front aspect.

Survivability alone might have swayed me towards the Tiger I, instead, also taking into account close-defense features, smoke cartridges, and what seem to be the chances of the crew to survive even in a disabled tank. But that was not a separate consideration.
                              Michele

Comment

Thanks Michele. Your vote for the KV-1 has been recorded.

This will be a tough one for me too and I'm not entirely sure which way I'll go just yet; but certainly the KV-1 is very worthy for the reasons you have given.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X