Do-17 vs Mosquito!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Acheron View Post
    From what I gathered, while the Do-17 was a nimble light bomber, the Do-217 somewhat deserved its Luftwaffe designation of heavy bomber, having a higher payload than any other German bomber worth mentioning (He-111, Ju-88, Ju-188, though the last one is debateable), so I would imagine the Do-217 to be rather sluggish in exchange.

EDIT: in tropical climates, I would prefer the Do-17 over anything but later Mosquitos. For all its faults, the Do-17 didn't tend to disintegrate mid-air.
    Yes, IIRC there were some issues with the Mossie in tropical climates.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

From what I gathered, while the Do-17 was a nimble light bomber, the Do-217 somewhat deserved its Luftwaffe designation of heavy bomber, having a higher payload than any other German bomber worth mentioning (He-111, Ju-88, Ju-188, though the last one is debateable), so I would imagine the Do-217 to be rather sluggish in exchange.

EDIT: in tropical climates, I would prefer the Do-17 over anything but later Mosquitos. For all its faults, the Do-17 didn't tend to disintegrate mid-air.
      There were only 'though rather unfortunate' a few incidences which was quickly solved so didn't really count againt what to many is the best all round combat aircraft of all time.

Many more Dorniers disintegrated due to having four 20mm cannons worth of shells smacking into them.

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

I like the Mosquito. The only other Allied aircraft that comes close would have to be the B-25.

Comment

The Mosquito problems in tropics were AFAIK post war and due to an unexpected feature of the glue used in their construction. This was the first of a long line of epoxy resins and gave a very strong bond so that the wood would give before the glue did.. Unfortunately after a given period of years it very quickly became very brittle sooner in tropical conditions but inevitably in all climates - that is why they all were eventually grounded. This was not known at the time it was designed and the prototype built (on which my late wife's father was a senior chippy)
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Depends on the model The 217 M had a top speed of 348 mph but the 217 P could hit 488 mph (but carried a much lighter bomb load) The earlier 217 E was much slower.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X