X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inventions Quarterfinals - Blood Groups vs DNA

Blood groups (1902)

Why?
    Although often forgotten, the discovery of blood groups has saved many lives over the past 100 years. Not only thanks to the possibility it offered in terms of blood transfusion but also in terms of pregnancy and birth. With the introduction of organ transplants in the past 20 years it has become even more important. Knowing which blood group a person has, is the first prerequisite before any medical intervention can be performed.

DNA (1953)

Why?
    The discovery of Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) has revealed the starting template for every new life. For humans it is like a hard disk with all the person’s information on it. By knowing the exact sequence of DNA we can prevent diseases. Some people have mutations in their DNA that make them susceptible to certain diseases. By isolating these mutations we can identify people who are at high risk and take preventative measures. You can also use the sequence of DNA in population genetics to identify the routes humans traveled when they started populating the earth and where we all come from.
    DNA holds the answer to so many human questions!
    Blood groups (1902)
    75.00%
    DNA (1953)
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

I'm suprised that DNA got this far...
    Without the knowledge of the different blood groups all stops!
    It's the basis of modern medical treatment. DNA is just that extra...

Greets,
    Stratego
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post

Greets,
      Stratego
      I agree

Comment

I'll go along with the preceding posts as well. Without the proper typing of blood, the DNA discovery would have been interesting but limited in its applications.
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

While the blood types are of such importance, I look to the future and what DNA may do for us. It just may be this discovery that leads to the end of some of the worst diseases known to man. We've only cracked to the door open a miniscule amount in what this discovery may lead to.
          "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
          - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

The DNA, the next giant step.

Comment

Blood typing let's us save a life. DNA lets us create lives.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

DNA tech gets my vote. Close one though.
                Skip

Comment

Greets,
                  Stratego
                  Yep!

Regards,
                  Dennis
                  If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Greets,
                    Stratego
                    I agree.
                    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                    ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Greets,
                      Stratego
                      I agree- the benefits of DNA exist only in theory, and may not pan out at all. Whereas blood typing has saved countless lives, been the foundation of medical research, and has been a great boon to law enforcement.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X