X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inventions Round 1 - Plastic vs Space flight

Plastic (1909)

Why?
    No material has changed our lives in the past 100 years as much as plastic and its many derivative forms: PVC, Plexiglas, nylon etc… We live in a plastic world and plastic seems to be everywhere. Imagine a world without?

Space Flight (1961)

Why?
    Space flights are the first human steps beyond our own planet and represent one of the great expansions of human horizons. Over the past 40 years, space flights have gathered a wealth of information about our own planet and the cosmos. Major physics, biology, medicine and astronomy theories have been reshaped and rebuilt based on data collected by these manned flights.
    Plastic (1909)
    90.00%
    Space flight (1961)
    10.00%

The poll is expired.

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

I went for plastic...although not a very 'green' invention, I see in it much more use than expensive Space flight. I'm happy with earth, what do I care of what goes on in the universe?

Greets,
    Stratego
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

Can you have space flight without plastic?

If, you could have spaceflight without the use of plastics and if travelling to other worlds are actually possible, then I would choose space flight.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Plastic as it is more universally applicable.
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Plastic...but I think it's time to make it biodegradable.
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I vote plastic... now if only our species would stop using a semi-permanent substance in temporary roles.
            BoRG
            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Now this one suprises me...I thought there would be more supporters for Space flight ands Sci-Fi...

Greets,
              Stratego

BORG

Comment

Space Flight,

Plastic very important but it can choke our environment.

but with Space Flight one can can hope of finding New Frontiers.

Comment

Originally posted by vikram72 View Post
                  Space Flight,

Plastic very important but it can choke our environment.

but with Space Flight one can can hope of finding New Frontiers.
                  Space Flight with out plastics? No way.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Plastic, definitely, since it makes space flight possible in many ways.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I use plastic more than I have been on a space flight so plastic wins.
                      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                      ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Plastic, definitely, since it makes space flight possible in many ways.
                        I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          Space Flight with out plastics? No way.
                          I think this is why we're going with plastic on this one.
                          BoRG
                          "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

I would say without plastics space flight would not have been possible.

Comment

Apologies for responding to this more than 3 years late!
                              I would have voted for plastics for the same reasons as given by others.
                              I would also have done so because I don't regard space flight as an "invention".
                              I regard it as a human activity or ability, that was enabled by a series of inventions and developments.
                              (Among these, of course, was plastics.)
                              OK, just me being Mr. Pedantic again!
                              Last edited by panther3485; 16 Sep 17, 23:26.
                              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X