Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Pin Up Of WW II: Jane Russell vs Rita Hayworth - FINAL ROUND!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pin Up Of WW II: Jane Russell vs Rita Hayworth - FINAL ROUND!

GRAND FINALE

May The Best Lass Win!

Jane Russell

(June 21, 1921 February 28, 2011) was an American film actress and was one of Hollywood's leading sex symbols in the 1940s and 1950s. Her father had been a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army, and her mother had been an actress with a road troupe. In 1940, Russell was signed to a seven-year contract by film mogul Howard Hughes and made her motion picture debut in The Outlaw (1943), a story about Billy the Kid that went to great lengths to showcase her voluptuous figure. Although the movie was completed in 1941, it was released for a limited showing two years later. With measurements of 38D-24-36 and standing 5'7", she was so statuesque that Bob hope said; "Culture is the ability to describe Jane Russell without moving your hands"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Russell

Rita Hayworth

(October 17, 1918 May 14, 1987) was an American film actress and dancer who attained fame during the 1940s as one of the era's top stars. She appeared in 61 films over 37 years and is listed as one of the American Film Institute's Greatest Stars of All Time. Hayworth had an awkward transition from teen nightclub dancer to major movie star. She was a dancer first and foremost; acting was an afterthought seen as a way to earn a living. In 1939, Cohn pressured director Howard Hawks to use Hayworth for a small but important role as a man-trap in the aviation drama Only Angels Have Wings, in which she played opposite Cary Grant and Jean Arthur. A large box-office success, fan mail for Hayworth began pouring into Columbia's publicity department and Cohn began to see Hayworth as his first and official new star. When the U.S. joined World War II in December 1941, Hayworth's image was admired by millions of servicemen, making her one of the top two pin-up girls of the war years, the other being blonde Betty Grable. In 2002, the satin nightgown she wore for the picture sold for $26,888. For three consecutive years, starting in 1944, Rita Hayworth was named one of the top movie box office attractions in the world.

Who Will Be The Champion Pin Up Of WW II?

Vote!
    Jane Russell
    30.43%
    Rita Hayworth
    69.57%
    Last edited by Admiral; 30 Sep 11, 00:47. Reason: Best Pin Up of WW II
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

I'd almost be swayed by Jane's physique alone, not to mention that compelling pic in the hay with the gun .... but Rita for me has the edge on the facials, as well as that sultry look down pat.

So for me, it's Rita - albeit by a slender margin.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
      I'd almost be swayed by Jane's physique alone, not to mention that compelling pic in the hay with the gun .... but Rita for me has the edge on the facials, as well as that sultry look down pat.

So for me, it's Rita - albeit by a slender margin.
      For me I can't help but think about those beauties that have gone by the board,leaving us to deal with the best of what is left. lcm1
      'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Rita; she beat Yvonne de Carlo. Any other vote would be disrespectful to Ms. de Carlo.
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Rita...all the way. If the objective is to identify the quintessential pin-up from WWII, then good, bad, or indifferent...Rita's classic pin-up shot is that pin-up. Ton's of lovely ladies got tossed to the wayside during this shooting match but when you get right down to it...what's the first name a layman spouts, when asked the same question that we have belabored here?

Not Yvonne DeCarlo...that I will guarantee you.

Rita Hayworth or Betty Grable...those will be 90% of the answers...

...the "less sapient" will say "Marilyn Monroe", and that's probably another 5% there...

And that doesn't leave much room for the Gene Tierney's (and all the rest), no matter how smokin' they were back in their day.

Thanks for all the work gents...it's been a hoot.

Cheers, Ron
          48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
          __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

For me it's gotta be...

Rita.
            It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.-George S. Patton

Comment

Gotta go with Rita on this one.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Jane...........thanks for all the pennies!

Philip
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

I felt that Rita was going to win from the start. She still gets my vote.
                  History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                  _________
                  BoRG

Comment

Rita, but if I was 50 years older I'd do them both.
                    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Rita is the one for me!
                      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

Jane. Any women worth Howard Hughes' inventive genius is worth a vote.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                          Rita; she beat Yvonne de Carlo. Any other vote would be disrespectful to Ms. de Carlo.
                          My sentiment's exactly. Rita it is, no contest.
                          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Rita = Righta!
                            Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                              Rita, but if I was 50 years older I'd do them both.
                              If you are anything like me when you are 50 years older,you will find that that chance would be a good thing (followed by ability of course!) lcm1
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X