Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Pin Up of WW II: Yvonne de Carlo vs Rita Hayworth (Round 4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pin Up of WW II: Yvonne de Carlo vs Rita Hayworth (Round 4)

Yvonne de Carlo

(September 1, 1922 – January 8, 2007) In1940, when De Carlo was first runner-up to "Miss Venice Beach" and was hired by a showman as a dancer at the Florentine Gardens. She had been dancing for Granlund only a short time when she was arrested by immigration officials and deported to Canada, but in January 1941, Granlund sent a telegram to Canadian immigration officials pledging his sponsorship of De Carlo in the United States, and affirmed his offer of steady employment, both requirements to reenter the country. n December 1941, the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor signaled America's entrance into World War II. During this period she engaged in morale boosting performances for U.S. servicemen. De Carlo was a favorite leading lady in the 1940s, and a recipient of many letters from GI's …. But most of you probably remember her as Lilly Munster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvonne_de_Carlo

Rita Hayworth

(October 17, 1918 – May 14, 1987) was an American film actress and dancer who attained fame during the 1940s as one of the era's top stars. She appeared in 61 films over 37 years and is listed as one of the American Film Institute's Greatest Stars of All Time. Hayworth had an awkward transition from teen nightclub dancer to major movie star. She was a dancer first and foremost; acting was an afterthought seen as a way to earn a living. In 1939, Cohn pressured director Howard Hawks to use Hayworth for a small but important role as a man-trap in the aviation drama Only Angels Have Wings, in which she played opposite Cary Grant and Jean Arthur. A large box-office success, fan mail for Hayworth began pouring into Columbia's publicity department and Cohn began to see Hayworth as his first and official new star. When the U.S. joined World War II in December 1941, Hayworth's image was admired by millions of servicemen, making her one of the top two pin-up girls of the war years, the other being blonde Betty Grable. In 2002, the satin nightgown she wore for the picture sold for $26,888. For three consecutive years, starting in 1944, Rita Hayworth was named one of the top movie box office attractions in the world.

Who will advance to the next Round?

Vote!
    Yvonne de Carlo
    39.58%
    Rita Hayworth
    60.42%
    Last edited by Admiral; 23 Sep 11, 03:21. Reason: Best Pin Up of WW II

Yvonne vs Rita:

Let the contest begin!
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

I would pick Lana or Jane (or Gene)before either of these two ladies.

Throw Gene in as a wildcard and make it a 3-way race!!!

Comment

Rita Hayworth.
        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
        — Groucho Marx

Comment

I have to stay with my #1 choice. Yvonne gets my vote hands down even though she is losing pretty badly right now.
          Come on fella's, don't let her down.
          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Rita

Comment

you youngsters don't know beauty. Yvonne

Comment

I went with Rita.

Comment

It's gotta be...

Rita 4me.
                  It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.-George S. Patton

Comment

I took Rita over Yvonne but it was a tough choice.
                    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                    ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Yvonne de Carlo
                      Skip

Comment

I voted for Yvonne.

I'm kinda stunned its not a lot closer. Come on Team Yvonne get in the game!
                        "Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton

Comment

...Rita, and i believe you have your overall winner right there too....

Comment

Yvonne for me.
                            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                            Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

This the easier semi final - Rita.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X