Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Best Pin Up of WW II: Gene Tierney vs Lana Turner (Round 3)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pin Up of WW II: Gene Tierney vs Lana Turner (Round 3)

Gene Tierney

Gene Eliza Tierney (November 19, 1920 – November 6, 1991) was born into a prosperous family in Brooklyn, New York. At the age of 17, Gene visited Warner Bros. studios. The director Anatole Litvak was very taken by her beauty and told her that she should become an actress. To begin with, Tierney studied acting at a small Greenwich Village acting studio in New York with Benno Schneider. She performed on Broadway and received considerable praise. Columbia Pictures signed her to a six-month contract in 1939 but they failed to find Tierney a project; so, she returned to Broadway and starred as Patricia Stanley to critical and commercial success in 'The Male Animal' (1940). In The New York Times, Brooks Atkinson wrote, "Tierney blazes with animation in the best performance she has yet given". She was the toast of Broadway before her 20th birthday and was featured in Life magazine.

Tierney signed with 20th Century-Fox and her motion picture debut was in a supporting role as Elenore Stone in Fritz Lang's western 'The Return of Frank James' (1940), opposite Henry Fonda. A small role as Barbara Hall followed in 'Hudson's Bay' (1941) with Paul Muni. After that she had a good number of more notable roles but is best remembered for her performance in the title role of 'Laura' (1944) and her Academy Award-nominated performance for Best Actress in 'Leave Her to Heaven' (1945); 20th Century-Fox's most successful film of the 1940s. Gene continued to produce critically acclaimed performances in a substantial number of movies through the 1950's and into the 60's.

Gene was married twice and had two daughters from the first marriage but there was personal tragedy when she contracted Rubella during one of her pregnancies and as a consequence, her daughter Daria was born severely handicapped. Gene suffered badly from depression and mental health problems. At times, this hampered her work. For example, she dropped out of 'Mogambo' (1953) to be replaced by Grace Kelly. However, she made a comeback of sorts and also performed in TV shows. Gene passed away in 1991 from emphysema in Houston, Texas. For her contribution to the motion picture industry, Tierney has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. But aside from her fame and very considerable acting success, she was acclaimed as one of the great beauties of her day. Certainly one of my favourites!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Tierney

Lana Turner

Lana Turner (February 8, 1921 – June 29, 1995) was born Julia Jean Turner in Wallace, Idaho. Until her film career took off, young Julia Turner was known to family and friends as "Judy". Hard times eventually forced her family to re-locate to San Francisco, where her parents soon separated. Later, Lana and her mother moved to Los Angeles in 1931. Turner's discovery at a Hollywood drug store is a show-business legend. As a sixteen-year-old student at Hollywood High School, Turner skipped a typing class and bought a Coke at the Top Hat Cafe located on the southeast corner of Sunset Boulevard and McCadden Place, where she was spotted by William R. Wilkerson, publisher of The Hollywood Reporter. Wilkerson was attracted by her beauty and physique, and referred her to the actor / comedian / talent agent Zeppo Marx. Marx's agency immediately signed her on and introduced her to film director Mervyn LeRoy, who cast her in her first film, 'They Won't Forget' (1937). Turner earned the nickname "The Sweater Girl" from her form-fitting attire in that movie.

Lana played featured roles in such films as 'Love Finds Andy Hardy' (1938). During the early 1940s she established herself as a leading actress in such films as 'Johnny Eager' (1941), 'Ziegfeld Girl' (1941) and 'Somewhere I'll Find You' (1942). She is known as one of the first Hollywood scream queens thanks to her role in the 1941 horror film 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde', and her reputation as a glamorous femme fatale was enhanced by her performance in the film noir 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' (1946). Her popularity continued through the 1950s, in such films as 'The Bad and the Beautiful' (1952) and 'Peyton Place' (1957), for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress. Lana made a number of television appearances, her final one being in 1991. She passed away from throat cancer in 1995.

During WW2, Lana had become a much admired pin-up girl due to her outstanding looks and her popularity in films. She even had a B-17 Flying Fortress - the Tempest Turner - named after her. Meanwhile, Turner was receiving much publicity for her personal life, and her career was one of the very few to be furthered by this. MGM boosted this by changing the title of one of her films to 'Slightly Dangerous' (1943). Turner was well known inside Hollywood circles for dating often, changing partners often, and for never shying away from the topic of how many lovers she had in her lifetime. She was married eight times to seven different husbands. Lana later famously said, "My goal was to have one husband and seven children, but it turned out to be the other way around."
    Lana Turner has to be one of the hottest sex symbols of her era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lana_Turner

Who will advance to the next Round?

Vote!
    Gene Tierney
    49.47%
    Lana Turner
    50.53%
    Last edited by Admiral; 15 Sep 11, 21:24. Reason: Best Pin Up of WW II
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

I think it will be a Gene Tierney & Jane Russell final if there is any justice in the world. Never mind Gene, second isn't too bad.

Comment

Gene is a Hottie!!

Comment

I was dreading this moment.....

Lana.
        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.

Comment

Go Gene!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

This is a tough matchup but I went with Gene.
            “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
            ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Tough choice, but I went with Gene too.
              "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
              — Groucho Marx

Comment

Went with Lana. She look's like the underdog...for now.
                It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.-George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................
                  "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Comment

Sticking with Lana.

Comment

Ugh, mighty rough choice. Had to go with Gene.
                      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Gene, cause its in the genes...hee hee....

Comment

These two are both top favourites for me, so I'm gonna struggle with this one the most.

Thinking about it now, voting later.
                          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Horrible choice to have to make, but...

Lana Turner
                            Skip

Comment

The toughest choice in this round. In the end, I went with Lana. Against anyone else, I probably would have gone with Gene. Hey, isn't Gene a dude's name???!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X