Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Pin Up of WW II: Susan Hayward vs Veronica Lake (Round 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pin Up of WW II: Susan Hayward vs Veronica Lake (Round 2)

Susan Hayward

Susan Hayward (June 30, 1917 – March 14, 1975) Born in Brooklyn, she was out for the lead in Gone with the Wind, among others. Although she did not win the role, Hayward found employment playing bit parts until she was cast in Beau Geste (1939) opposite Gary Cooper. During the war years, she played leading lady to John Wayne twice, in Reap the Wild Wind (1942) and The Fighting Seabees (1944). She also starred in the film version of The Hairy Ape (1944)… huhm, what?

If you have seen any old movies, you have probably seen this face. If you have not, boy are you in for a treat!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Hayward

Veronica Lake

(November 14, 1922 – July 7, 1973) Lake was sent to Villa Maria, an all-girls Catholic boarding school in Montreal, Canada, from which she was expelled. Her breakthrough film was I Wanted Wings in 1941, a major hit in which Lake played the second female lead and was said to have stolen scene after scene from the rest of the cast. For a short time during the early 1940s Lake was considered one of the most reliable box office draws in Hollywood. She became known for onscreen pairings with actor Alan Ladd. At first, the couple was teamed together merely out of physical necessity: Ladd was just 5 feet 5 inches tall and the only actress then on the Paramount lot short enough to pair with him was Lake, who stood just 4 feet 11½ inches. A stray lock of her shoulder-length blonde hair during a publicity photo shoot led to her iconic "peekaboo" hairstyle, which was widely imitated. During World War II, she changed her trademark image to encourage women working in war industry factories to adopt more practical, safer hairstyles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_Lake

Who will advance to the next Round?

Vote!
    Susan Hayward
    52.75%
    Veronica Lake
    47.25%
    Last edited by Admiral; 09 Sep 11, 01:28. Reason: Best Pin Up of WW II:
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Susan is pretty but I went with Veronica.
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Another tough call.

Comment

Forgive me again Susan! How can any reader of WEB Griffin's Marine series NOT vote for Veronica?

Pruitt
        Last edited by Pruitt; 09 Sep 11, 11:50.
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Tough indeed. Veronica wins out though.
          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Yeah, tough one.

Susan
            Skip

Comment

A tough one...

Veronica.
              It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.-George S. Patton

Comment

Some have opined that Veronica is going to make it to the finals. If she's in this close of a race now, I'm not sure how she is going to make it to the end.

Comment

Hmmm, not fussed about either... so I voted for Susan.
                  "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                  Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Susan is lovely but Veronica is my top pick.

Oh my goodness I just bumped up lovely veronica to the lead 18-19.
                    God didn’t create evil. Evil is the result of when man does not have God's love in his heart.It's the cold when there is no heat.The darkness that comes when there is no light

Comment

Susan is great but it's Veronica for me.
                      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Susan and it's all knotted up at 22.
                        "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
                        And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

I saw that first picture and I heard this voice say "Susan". Phwoar, what a stunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion40 View Post
                            Some have opined that Veronica is going to make it to the finals. If she's in this close of a race now, I'm not sure how she is going to make it to the end.
                            I'm thinking much the same thing. Given the professed popular support for Veronica before this, I'm slightly surprised it's this close although there were a lot of members who waxed lyrical about Susan too, now I think of it.

Still, we only have about half the votes in so far. We'll see.
                            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

I just pushed Susan into the lead at 25-24.

Neither one could have been my vote. My pulse rate remains the same.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X