Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Pin Up of WW II: Lana Turner vs Elyse Knox (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pin Up of WW II: Lana Turner vs Elyse Knox (Round 1)

Lana Turner

Lana Turner (February 8, 1921 – June 29, 1995) was born Julia Jean Turner in Wallace, Idaho. Until her film career took off, young Julia Turner was known to family and friends as "Judy". Hard times eventually forced her family to re-locate to San Francisco, where her parents soon separated. Later, Lana and her mother moved to Los Angeles in 1931. Turner's discovery at a Hollywood drug store is a show-business legend. As a sixteen-year-old student at Hollywood High School, Turner skipped a typing class and bought a Coke at the Top Hat Cafe located on the southeast corner of Sunset Boulevard and McCadden Place, where she was spotted by William R. Wilkerson, publisher of The Hollywood Reporter. Wilkerson was attracted by her beauty and physique, and referred her to the actor / comedian / talent agent Zeppo Marx. Marx's agency immediately signed her on and introduced her to film director Mervyn LeRoy, who cast her in her first film, 'They Won't Forget' (1937). Turner earned the nickname "The Sweater Girl" from her form-fitting attire in that movie.

Lana played featured roles in such films as 'Love Finds Andy Hardy' (1938). During the early 1940s she established herself as a leading actress in such films as 'Johnny Eager' (1941), 'Ziegfeld Girl' (1941) and 'Somewhere I'll Find You' (1942). She is known as one of the first Hollywood scream queens thanks to her role in the 1941 horror film 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde', and her reputation as a glamorous femme fatale was enhanced by her performance in the film noir 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' (1946). Her popularity continued through the 1950s, in such films as 'The Bad and the Beautiful' (1952) and 'Peyton Place' (1957), for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress. Lana made a number of television appearances, her final one being in 1991. She passed away from throat cancer in 1995.

During WW2, Lana had become a much admired pin-up girl due to her outstanding looks and her popularity in films. She even had a B-17 Flying Fortress - the Tempest Turner - named after her. Meanwhile, Turner was receiving much publicity for her personal life, and her career was one of the very few to be furthered by this. MGM boosted this by changing the title of one of her films to 'Slightly Dangerous' (1943). Turner was well known inside Hollywood circles for dating often, changing partners often, and for never shying away from the topic of how many lovers she had in her lifetime. She was married eight times to seven different husbands. Lana later famously said, "My goal was to have one husband and seven children, but it turned out to be the other way around."
    Lana Turner has to be one of the hottest sex symbols of her era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lana_Turner

Elyse Knox

Elyse Knox (born December 14, 1917 in Hartford, Connecticut) was named Elsie Lillian Kornbrath by her parents, Frederick and Elizabeth Kornbrath. She was not the daughter of U.S. Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox, despite many sources suggesting this. She studied at the Traphagen School of Fashion in Manhattan then embarked on a career in fashion design. Her good looks enabled her to model some of her own creations for Vogue magazine that led to a contract offer from Twentieth Century Fox film studio in 1937.

Elyse performed mainly in minor or secondary roles until 1942 when she had a leading role with Lon Chaney, Jr. in 'The Mummy's Tomb', one of the series of Mummy horror films made by Universal Studios. Knox appeared as herself in the Universal Studios 1944 production 'Follow the Boys', one of the World War II morale-booster films made for both the soldiers serving overseas as well as civilians at home. Knox also became a well liked pin up girl during the War, appearing in such magazines as YANK, a weekly put out by the United States Military. In late 1945, she was signed by Monogram Pictures to portray Anne Howe, the love interest of fictional boxer Joe Palooka in 'Joe Palooka, Champ'. Based on the very popular comic strip, the instant success of the May 1946 film led to Elyse Knox appearing in another five Joe Palooka productions. After acting in thirty-nine films, Elyse Knox retired in 1949 following her performance in the musical film 'There's a Girl in My Heart'.

In the WW2 years, Elyse had continued to do modeling work and while appearing on the Bing Crosby radio show she met football star Tom Harmon. They became engaged, but broke up when Harmon entered the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1942. That year, Knox married fashion photographer Paul Hesse, who had shot many of her print ads and magazine covers. The marriage was brief. Following her divorce and Tom Harmon's return from World War II (during which he survived two plane crashes and being lost in the jungle), she and Harmon married in 1944. Knox's wedding dress was made from silk from the parachute Harmon used when bailing out of his crippled plane. The couple had three children, and remained together until Tom's death in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elyse_Knox

Who will advance to the next Round?

Vote!
    Lana Turner
    82.35%
    Elyse Knox
    17.65%
    Last edited by panther3485; 27 Aug 11, 13:07.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Lana's going all the way!!!

Comment

Hello Lana! how could I not vote for her?
      BoRG
      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Lana
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Been in love with Lana Turner for over 50 years...whadda gal.
          Skip

Comment

C'mon, Lana all the way.
            "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Lana, but it was a tougher choice than I thought it would be!

Regards,
              Dennis
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Lana wins out over Elyse.
                “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Lana Turner wins this one but It's tough to go against Agent Gibbs' Mom.
                  God Save The Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                    Lana, but it was a tougher choice than I thought it would be!

Regards,
                    Dennis
                    Agreed.
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

First tough one for me, too. I gave Elyse my vote for two reasons: 1) I figured she needed the help and 2) she's from Connecticut. :-)
                      "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
                      And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

Against many of the others, I could easily pick Elyse.

Against Lana? No way.

Lana.
                        Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Lana's eye's got me straight away,... who was the other woman again?
                          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                          Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                            Lana's eye's got me straight away,... who was the other woman again?
                            Exactly, and if the eyes aren't quite enough there's plenty more.

Comment

Lana is one of my favorites in this contest...she looks like one of the girls I dated in my 20's

Greets,
                              Stratego
                              Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X