Best Tank in action 1942 up to 1st El Alamein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, doing a TAG on this one.
    For me, it was tight between the T-34 and the PzKpfw III J, with the Grant running third.
    Went for the T-34.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

I'd either use a Sherman or a Valentine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
        Fair enough . I should have adjusted the timeline a few weeks earlier to exclude all the next generation of tanks, that appeared around this time.
        Staying within the intended timeline, I'd say T34. It has solid dual-purpose armament with AP that would still, at this time, knock holes in all the other tanks except the KV-1 beyond the distance where they would do damage to the T34. Protection is still good and mobility is still excellent. Creature comfort was never a big deal in the T34, but it ceases to matter much once you can move about in relative safety and most threats with ease.

Comment

Oh, c'mon gents. We have been down this road before. There has not been a tank to match the M3 Grant since,..., since,..., well, since the M3 Grant.

It is the shape of things to come. Ahead of its time and its time is coming again.

Remember,... you saw it here first.
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Okay, once again you fiends have stumped me to the point where I had to call my dad and get the 4-1-1. He said that at stage of the war the T-34 was incomparably the best ugly green fighting thingie...uh, sorry, "tank" . And I believe him, so there you go
            Will no one tell me what she sings?--
            Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
            For old, unhappy, far-off things,
            And battles long ago:
            -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post
              Okay, once again you fiends have stumped me to the point where I had to call my dad and get the 4-1-1. He said that at stage of the war the T-34 was incomparably the best ugly green fighting thingie...uh, sorry, "tank" . And I believe him, so there you go
              Wasn't early '42 the period where Stalin had the factories streamline production and made things so simple that the T-34 suffered tremendously?
              John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                Wasn't early '42 the period where Stalin had the factories streamline production and made things so simple that the T-34 suffered tremendously?
                IIRC from my reading, it was also a time of considerable disruption so small wonder the build quality suffered most at about this time.
                "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

As much as I wanted to vote for the Stuart, as she is the cutest tank ever, the choice was T34 in the end.
                  BoRG
                  "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                    Could have fooled the heck out of me. I'll call my dad and ask him. Because, you know, ugly green thingies that fight other ugly green thingies I know naught about
                    Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                    Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                    For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                    And battles long ago:
                    -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                      Oh, c'mon gents. We have been down this road before. There has not been a tank to match the M3 Grant since,..., since,..., well, since the M3 Grant.

It is the shape of things to come. Ahead of its time and its time is coming again.

Remember,... you saw it here first.
                      I have a weak spot for the M3 Grant/Lee as it was probably the best of the "land battleship" concept. I think if there were better training and doctrine for use of this weapon, it would have been proven more effective.

The T-34 is the most overrated (and most destroyed) tank in history. The early models were not so hot, with their bad optics and low velocity cannon.

However, the PkzIIIJ was a battle tested weapon that lacked the problems of both the M3 and T-34, and it was proven to be a more effective tactical weapon even against the Sherman M4s to come.
                      Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X