Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

New Contest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the topic chosen was "Most Significant Event in the 20th Century" and the moderators were working on it but some things came up that has delayed it.
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Last Stands would be good but possibly tough to define. Would this mean combat where one side had no possibilty of retreat or immediate reinforcement where the defenders displayed outstanding courage?

Those that ended in both defeat and victory would have to be treated equally of course.

Some ideas
      • Rorkes Drift
      • Custer
      • Dien Bien Phu
      • The Glocesters (Korea)
      • Thin Red Line (Crimea)
      • Cameron (French Foreign Legion, Mexico)

There were of course many last stands by Japanese forces late in WW2, both on the Pacific islands and in Burma where huge forces fought until they were wiped out.
      What would Occam say?

Comment

You forgot the Alamo and Wake Island

Comment

Stalingrad, the German Festung Befehl and Berlin.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I would imagine that Stalingrad would be the clear favourite to be honest. Nothing else can really match it.
            What would Occam say?

Comment

....and here it is 2013...
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                ....and here it is 2013...

So it is...
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
                  I agree...I'd like some chance at earning a ribbon other than the 5-Year Service one.
                  Other than hanging around for five years or so, how does one get one?
                  Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
                  TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                  Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                    I believe the topic chosen was "Most Significant Event in the 20th Century" and the moderators were working on it but some things came up that has delayed it.
                    That concept holds some merit and potential. Hopefully, Dec. 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor makes the list. I just recently finished reading this book and think such would get my vote;
                    December 1941: 31 Days that Changed America and Saved the World
                    http://www.amazon.com/December-1941-.../dp/B00A16SFIM
                    Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Here's another subject for consideration;

Best twin engined, propeller driven, combat aircraft of World War II.

Excludes jets, flying boats, and transport/cargo types.
                      Would include fighter (day and/or night), fighter-bomber, attack/light bomber, medium bomber, recon, etc.
                      I know we have a couple of related threads already, so this could pick-up from there.
                      One question would be if they had to see operational use/combat; i.e. would some prototypes and developmental ones be excluded, as those entering service too late (like Grumman F7F Tigercat)?

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                        Here's another subject for consideration;

Best twin engined, propeller driven, combat aircraft of World War II.

Excludes jets, flying boats, and transport/cargo types.
                        Would include fighter (day and/or night), fighter-bomber, attack/light bomber, medium bomber, recon, etc.
                        I know we have a couple of related threads already, so this could pick-up from there.
                        One question would be if they had to see operational use/combat; i.e. would some prototypes and developmental ones be excluded, as those entering service too late (like Grumman F7F Tigercat)?
                        The Mossie already won.
                        "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
                          Last Stands would be good but possibly tough to define. Would this mean combat where one side had no possibilty of retreat or immediate reinforcement where the defenders displayed outstanding courage?

Those that ended in both defeat and victory would have to be treated equally of course.

Some ideas
                          • Rorkes Drift
                          • Custer
                          • Dien Bien Phu
                          • The Glocesters (Korea)
                          • Thin Red Line (Crimea)
                          • Cameron (French Foreign Legion, Mexico)

There were of course many last stands by Japanese forces late in WW2, both on the Pacific islands and in Burma where huge forces fought until they were wiped out.
                          Bushy Run...? Never heard of that one did you?

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                            The Mossie already won.
                            Yup! But it would be interesting to see which one would come in 2nd and 3rd place.

Comment

Significant event:

The Mosquito that bombed Berlin, and diverted the Luftwaffe from the RAF airfields and and to London.
                              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                              John Adams, 1770

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                                Other than hanging around for five years or so, how does one get one?
                                That's all it takes and you should have one by now. Mention it to a mod and you should get it.
                                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X