Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexander the Great vs. Napoleon (Round IV)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander the Great vs. Napoleon (Round IV)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Alexander the Great (July 20 356 BC–June 10, 323 BC), also known as Alexander III, king of Macedon (336–323 BC), was one of the most successful military commanders in history. The name 'Alexander' derives from the Greek words "alexo" (αλέξω, refuge, defense, protection) and "aner" (ανήρ, man). Before his death, he conquered most of the world known to the ancient Greeks. Alexander is also known in the Zoroastrian Middle Persian work Arda Wiraz Nāmag as "the accursed Alexander" due to his conquest of the Persian Empire and the destruction of its capital Persepolis. He is known as Eskandar-e Maqduni (Alexander of Macedonia) in Persian, Al-Iskander Al-Makadoni (Alexander of Macedonia) in Arabic, Alexander Mokdon in Hebrew, and Tre-Qarnayia in Aramaic (the two-horned one, apparently due to an image on coins minted during his rule that seemingly depicted him with the two ram's horns of the Egyptian god Ammon), al-Iskandar al-Akbar الاسكندر الاكبر in Arabic, Sikandar-e-azam in Urdu, Skandar in Pashto. Sikandar, his name in Urdu and Hindi, is also a term used as a synonym for "expert" or "extremely skilled".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great

Napoleon, Napoleon I (born Napoleone di Buonaparte, later Napoléon Bonaparte) [1] (15 August 1769–5 May 1821) was a French military and political leader who had significant impact on modern European history. He was a general during the French Revolution, the ruler of France as Premier Consul of the French Republic, Empereur des Français, King of Italy, Mediator of the Swiss Confederation and Protector of the Confederation of the Rhine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon
    Alexander
    34.62%
    Napoleon
    65.38%

The poll is expired.

THIS is really a hard one.

Nappy's defeats played the key roll in my vote going to Big A
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Napoleon got my vote.
      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Boney for the win!

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
          Boney for the win!
          Why does that surprise me..............................not.

HP
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Napoleon. The world was a more complex place in his time.

Comment

le emporer...!!!!!!!!! ( and no i dont mean Cantona here..!!!!! )

Comment

Napoleon! This is where the spoiled rich kid with daddy's army steps off.

Comment

Originally posted by Alina View Post
                  Napoleon! This is where the spoiled rich kid with daddy's army steps off.
                  You still haven't studied Alex's campaigns, and Napoleon also inhierited a reformed army.

Comment

Napoleon for me.

Vive L'Empereur!
                    My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
                      You still haven't studied Alex's campaigns, and Napoleon also inhierited a reformed army.
                      A reformed army in bad shape.
                      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
                        Actually, I have. I hope you did post-grad courses on ancient warfare too, with a professor who specialized in the ancient Greek army, so that you actually have some basis for making a claim like that.

Comment

Alexander all the way. Nappy tried and failed. Alexander tried, suceeded but then died.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

It's a re-match! http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=49859

Will Napoleon win again???

Comment

Originally posted by Alina View Post
                              Actually, I have. I hope you did post-grad courses on ancient warfare too, with a professor who specialized in the ancient Greek army, so that you actually have some basis for making a claim like that.
                              Then why have you been hiding your light under a bushel? All you have discussed about Alexander have been the battles against the Persians.I've mentioned his actions in the mountains, on ther steppes and in India and you never commented one way or the other. I even mentioned how his crossing a guarded river is still studied and you didn't say, well, it wasn't that impressive and here's why.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X