Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexander the Great vs. Ghengis Khan (Round III)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander the Great vs. Ghengis Khan (Round III)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Alexander the Great (July 20 356 BC–June 10, 323 BC), also known as Alexander III, king of Macedon (336–323 BC), was one of the most successful military commanders in history. The name 'Alexander' derives from the Greek words "alexo" (αλέξω, refuge, defense, protection) and "aner" (ανήρ, man). Before his death, he conquered most of the world known to the ancient Greeks. Alexander is also known in the Zoroastrian Middle Persian work Arda Wiraz Nāmag as "the accursed Alexander" due to his conquest of the Persian Empire and the destruction of its capital Persepolis. He is known as Eskandar-e Maqduni (Alexander of Macedonia) in Persian, Al-Iskander Al-Makadoni (Alexander of Macedonia) in Arabic, Alexander Mokdon in Hebrew, and Tre-Qarnayia in Aramaic (the two-horned one, apparently due to an image on coins minted during his rule that seemingly depicted him with the two ram's horns of the Egyptian god Ammon), al-Iskandar al-Akbar الاسكندر الاكبر in Arabic, Sikandar-e-azam in Urdu, Skandar in Pashto. Sikandar, his name in Urdu and Hindi, is also a term used as a synonym for "expert" or "extremely skilled".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great

Genghis Khan, or Temüjin by birthname (c. 1162[1]–August 18, 1227) was a Mongol political and military leader or Khan (Ruler) (posthumously Khagan (Emperor)) who united the Mongol tribes and founded the Mongol Empire (1206 – 1368), the largest contiguous empire in world history. Born to the name Temüjin in the Borjigin clan, he forged a powerful army based on merit to become one of the most significant and successful military leaders in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genghis_Khan
    Alexander the Great
    71.88%
    Ghengis Khan
    28.13%

The poll is expired.

Khan. Bigger empire, faster.

Comment

Khan. He didn't use daddy's army and daddy's tactics to win.

Comment

Alina, glad you're on board with the Horde this time!

...on board with the Horde... I didn't mean for this to rhyme..

Comment

Alexander all the way

Comment

Went for Alex.
            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Lets' go with the young greek...
              A ME LE GUARDIE
              "Di noi tremò la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Tough one...us Alexes got to stick together, you know? But It's Ghengis Khan...

Though this might be a good reason to vote against him...

The horror...the horror...

What are they Mongolian-German power rangers?
                Last edited by Tankboy; 27 Mar 08, 09:08.
                And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
                Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
                Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
                Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

Genghis was a genius, but Alexander beat everyone he faced in all kinds of conditions--Alexander was the best ever.

Comment

And Ghengis Khan didn't? Moreover Alexander the Great's army was designed and built by Philip of Macedon. The tactics Alexander used were pioneered by Philip of Macedon. What Ghengis Khan did, he built for himself. Alexander didn't. I don't think either of them is a candidate for greatest general of all time, but Alexander certainly isn't. He's the most overrated general of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Alina View Post
                      And Ghengis Khan didn't? Moreover Alexander the Great's army was designed and built by Philip of Macedon. The tactics Alexander used were pioneered by Philip of Macedon. What Ghengis Khan did, he built for himself. Alexander didn't. I don't think either of them is a candidate for greatest general of all time, but Alexander certainly isn't. He's the most overrated general of all time.
                      Napoleon didn't exactly rewrite the tactical rule book and he certainly didn't raise his own army for his First Italian campaign. As he said himself "I have fought sixty battles and I have learned nothing which I did not know at the beginning." He was however extremely adept at implementing existing thories to defeat his contempories, as was Alexander.

Alex for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
                        Napoleon didn't exactly rewrite the tactical rule book and he certainly didn't raise his own army for his First Italian campaign.
                        Whoa there...while he didn't "raise" the army, he forged victory with it. The Army of Italy was in shambles: broken, demoralized, hungry, and cold. Its like giving a chef half rotten ingredients and expecting him to make a full three course meal

(which this one did and it was delicious!)
                        Last edited by Tankboy; 27 Mar 08, 15:41.
                        And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
                        Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
                        Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
                        Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

Sorry, have to go with my Western bias, Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
                            Napoleon didn't exactly rewrite the tactical rule book and he certainly didn't raise his own army for his First Italian campaign. As he said himself "I have fought sixty battles and I have learned nothing which I did not know at the beginning." He was however extremely adept at implementing existing thories to defeat his contempories, as was Alexander.

Alex for me.
                            As Tankboy said, Napoleon's army in Italy was in shambles. Alexander started with an army that was used to victory in Greece, that had made sizable conquests, and that had a core of veteran troops.

Moreover, Napoleon wasn't exactly the greatest general of the period. He lost when it counted. I'd rate Wellington over Napoleon, and I'd rate either of them over Alexander. He wasn't a tactical innovator, and he wasn't even that creative at employing existing tactics. As I said before, his Persian campaign consisted almost entirely of an oblique advance that opened a gap in the Persian left, which he then exploited with the companions. That was pretty much it. Nothing new or exciting there. The difference lay in his army, and it was an army he had nothing to do with creating.

So, I definitely have to go with the Khan on this one. He organized the tribes, created a viable state, standardized his army with excellent innovations in battlefield communications. He used steppe tactics, but also learned to use siege warfare. He organized his army into a disciplined fighting force, rather than a mob of raiders. He did a lot of things Alexander never did, and he conquered more territory in the process. There's just no way any right-thinking person could give the nod to Alexander on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Alina View Post
                              ...Moreover, Napoleon wasn't exactly the greatest general of the period. He lost when it counted...
                              Is that all that counts? Who lost and who won? In my opinion Alexander and Napoleon are winners...they changed the world for good and there is a lot more literature on Napoleon and Alexander then on Genghis, Wellington or Nelson. They are remembered and respected by millions all over the world, even today !!!
                              One thing however is for sure...Alexander and Napoleon may have lost in your opinion, but Nelson and Khan will LOSE on ACG !!!!

Greets,
                              Stratego
                              Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X