This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee vs. Eisenhower (Round II)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Robert Edward Lee, (January 19, 1807 – October 12, 1870) was a career United States Army officer, an engineer, and the most celebrated general of the Confederate forces during the American Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E_Lee

Dwight David Eisenhower, born David Dwight Eisenhower (October 14, 1890 – March 28, 1969), nicknamed "Ike", was a General of the Army (five star general) in the United States Army and U.S. politician, who served as the thirty-fourth President of the United States (1953–1961). During the Second World War, he served as Supreme Commander of the Allied forces in Europe, with responsibility for planning and supervising the successful invasion of France and Germany in 1944-45. In 1951, he became the first supreme commander of NATO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower
    Lee
    45.71%
    Eisenhower
    54.29%

The poll is expired.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Two guys i know the least about..

Have to go with Lee here...

Comment

As much as I admire Lee I voted for Ike, he liberated us from the nazis and I'll never forget.

Comment

General Lee is a God to us Southerners.
        A good woodchipper solves a lot of problems. All hail Doctor Sinister

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyFromTexas View Post
          General Lee is a God to us Southerners.
          Well I'm a Northerner but I can appreciate an innate talent for War... he was also true to his Soldiers and they loved him for it.
          Principles and rules are intended to provide a thinking man with a frame of reference. - Karl von Clauswitz, Vom Kriege, 1832.
          "Quality posts have a Quantity of value all their own." PH

Comment

Gotta go with the namesake for my high school and hero since birth...Robert E. Lee!

Comment

Originally posted by Prussian Havoc View Post
              Well I'm a Northerner but I can appreciate an innate talent for War... he was also true to his Soldiers and they loved him for it.
              Well said. Lee for me.
              My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

As a "Southerner" I must go with Lee, but I believe this to be a difficult choice. They are two different types of General. On the field of battle I have no doubt Lee would win, but in managing a coalition of free states in war Ike has to be the best there ever was and was without doubt necessary for victory in WWII in the west. .

Comment

Lee.
                  Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Eisenhower.

While Lee was good (very, very good), many of his successes against the stronger union were aided very much so by the early incompetence of Union leadership and the politicians having a hand in the war.

Eisenhower, however, would find himself fighting some of Germany's best generals and some of their most elite troops. But his true genius was in being able to hold the allies together to fight with cohesion and common purpose. Not to mention that the scale of the war in Europe was on a much grander scale than what we see in the US Civil War.

Both have their merits, and it was a close decision, but I like Ike.

While I Ike.

Comment

Close yes, but I went with IKe because he had both Lee's audacity and Grant's never stop moving traits and the 2'Oclock courage any great commander needs. He also had Lee's ability to get oversized egos to work together. When you figure he managed all that even though he never led troops in combat--it may be the most amazing example of generalship ever.

Comment

Eisenhower.

For scale of victories and no glaring losses like Gettysburg.
                        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

Eisenhower for the scope of his leadership.
                          Lee's periods of melancholy really crippled him. He was brilliant in retreat but had some terrible defeats. When he was under preasure on the attack he choked. Gettysburg was mismanaged and Lee must take the fall for that.

Comment

Had to vote for Lee. He was definitely a soldiers general.
                            "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                            -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

I had to go with Lee...

Ike was a great Allied Commander - and was able to hold all of his subordinates together... but how much of Ike's greatness was really Ike... or was it that he had superior generals under him.

the same could be said about Lee... His generals aer among some of the greatest of all time... but Lee had more "hands-on his soldiers" simply because he was closer to the lines and most of the time close to the front... That's one reason Napoleon was such a great commander - he was always there - making those critical on the spot decisions...

That's my 2-cents!
                              CPT T
                              Field Artillery
                              BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
                              FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Beirut
                                by casanova
                                Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                Today, 00:47
                              • casanova
                                Nuclear battleheads.
                                by casanova
                                A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                Yesterday, 23:58
                              • casanova
                                German Navy
                                by casanova
                                250 german marines are going to the mediterianian sea by the German frigate Hamburg to watch the weaponembargo against Libya. It's a EU military mis...
                                Yesterday, 23:48
                              Working...
                              X