Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alexander the Great vs. Julius Caesar (Round II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander the Great vs. Julius Caesar (Round II)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Alexander the Great (July 20 356 BC–June 10, 323 BC), also known as Alexander III, king of Macedon (336–323 BC), was one of the most successful military commanders in history. The name 'Alexander' derives from the Greek words "alexo" (αλέξω, refuge, defense, protection) and "aner" (ανήρ, man). Before his death, he conquered most of the world known to the ancient Greeks. Alexander is also known in the Zoroastrian Middle Persian work Arda Wiraz Nāmag as "the accursed Alexander" due to his conquest of the Persian Empire and the destruction of its capital Persepolis. He is known as Eskandar-e Maqduni (Alexander of Macedonia) in Persian, Al-Iskander Al-Makadoni (Alexander of Macedonia) in Arabic, Alexander Mokdon in Hebrew, and Tre-Qarnayia in Aramaic (the two-horned one, apparently due to an image on coins minted during his rule that seemingly depicted him with the two ram's horns of the Egyptian god Ammon), al-Iskandar al-Akbar الاسكندر الاكبر in Arabic, Sikandar-e-azam in Urdu, Skandar in Pashto. Sikandar, his name in Urdu and Hindi, is also a term used as a synonym for "expert" or "extremely skilled".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great

Gaius Julius Caesar, (July 12 or July 13, 100 BC – March 15, 44 BC), often simply referred to as Julius Caesar, was a Roman military and political leader and one of the most influential men in world history. He played a critical role in the transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire. His conquest of Gaul extended the Roman world all the way to the Atlantic Ocean, and he was also responsible for the first Roman invasion of Britain in 55 BC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar
    Alexander the Great
    72.73%
    Julius Caesar
    27.27%

The poll is expired.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

BOY, HOW TOUGH IS THIS ONE..!!!

well, because i just watched a special on him on discovery, ill have to go with...Alex the great....

Comment

A battle between these two would have been spectacular! picked Alex though, he had the Macedonian phalanxes, the Companions and the Hypaspists, how cool is that?
      Last edited by Boonierat; 11 Mar 08, 02:41.

Comment

Conquering is easy...

…bastardizing a Republic into an Empire takes a perversion of innate talent, disabused ideals and that special something... an irresistible inner fire combined with a compulsion to reach for Empire/megalomania. (Though I have no doubt, it just seemed to be the right thing to do at the time. All the best "Losses of Freedom" occur that way... see the US Patriot Act...)
        Principles and rules are intended to provide a thinking man with a frame of reference. - Karl von Clauswitz, Vom Kriege, 1832.
        "Quality posts have a Quantity of value all their own." PH

Comment

Who could stand up to Ceasar's 8th Spanish legion???
          A good woodchipper solves a lot of problems. All hail Doctor Sinister

Comment

Caesar would be my favorite, but I still had to give the nod to Alexander!

Comment

I have to go with Alexander, the conqueror of most of the known world at that time.
              My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

I'll stick with Julie.
                Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyFromTexas View Post
                  Who could stand up to Ceasar's 8th Spanish legion???
                  the Macedonian Phalanx

Comment

Alexander for me.

In the grand scheme of all `what ifs', Alex basically invented tactics and demonstrated that a smaller, better trained force with good leadership could beat any mob of an army.

Julius did a great job of building on this premise, but Alex gets the credit (IMO) for laying the groundwork.
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

Now this is a real match. Both great generals on and off the field. They had to lead in battle and they both built an empire.

My knowledge on both is pretty limited. I'm tainted by being a big fan of the HBO Rome series. But... it's my understanding that Augustus had to clean up something of a mess left behind by Julius. Anyone have particulars on that?

My heart says Ceasar but my head says Alexander.

Comment

Alexander the GREAT
                        "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                        -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Much of Ceasars acomplishments were in the political sphere, does that enhance his status as a general in the field? Given that I voted for Ike I can't really level that one here I suppose.

Even still its Alexander for me.

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
                            BOY, HOW TOUGH IS THIS ONE..!!!

well, because i just watched a special on him on discovery, ill have to go with...Alex the great....
                            I have to agree on this on... tough... but I also went with Alex
                            CPT T
                            Field Artillery
                            BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
                            FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Originally posted by Redleg155 View Post
                              I have to agree on this on... tough... but I also went with Alex
                              Hee Hee, yeah this was tougher than it looks at the outset, but , good choice mate...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X