100 Generals Tournament Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 Generals Tournament Commentary

Get some time again, already. ACG is giving us members another voting tournament. Time for another ribbon for our profiles, and these are the guys who are going to get you a Victory-device for it. Here are the top 9 Generals from the four polls in this tournament. I like Ike. My little brother, the bookie, (Paul Von Mann IV), has computed the percentages, and given me the odds.

Alexander the Great - 2/1 odds

Napoleon - 2/1 odds

Robert E. Lee - 3/1 odds

Heinz Guderian - 5/1 odds

George S. Patton, Jr. - 5/1 odds

Dwight D. Eisenhower - 5/1 odds

Gustavus Adolphus - 5/1 odds

Genghis Khan - 6/1 odds

Julius Caesar - 6/1 odds

Now, where the hell is Bob Evans, so he can take the mic with some predictions....
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 23 Feb 08, 00:53.
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

The day has arrived to make your mark upon military history!

The Greatest Generals Campaign has begun!

Let the battles begin!

ATTACK!

ATTACK!

ATTACK!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Preliminary Highlight

Horatio Nelson 47.37%
      Washington 52.63%

Lee 95.00%
      Pershing 5.00%

Adolphus 89.47%
      Cromwell 10.53%

Patton 95.24%
      Giap 4.76%

Slim 54.55%
      Manstein 45.45%

Alexander the Great 89.47%
      William the Conquerer 10.53%

Right off the gun, General Robert E. Lee is throwing a harsh beating on "Black Jack" Pershing. It's a sound, and total lead with Lee at 90%. Adolphus, in a similiar but less severe fashion, is sending Cromwell back where he came from. (Where ever the that is)

In the epic retard fight of the century, Patton (the big tard) is crushing General Giap (it's like he caught a brain defect). I thought the cagey Giap would make a better showing, but it's like he's been fish-hooked and had Patton's boot rectal-fitted.

True horrorshow, with Giap holding less than 5% of the vote.

Bill Slim and Erich Manstien are having a good brawl. Of course Full Monty has sung the praise of Slim loud and clear, many, many, many, times..., so I went with Slim. Manstien, with the bigger name, carries the popular vote, and could pull off a victory here, but my money is with the limey.

Washington and Nelson are going to be a hard one to call too, they're running neck and neck.

Of course, early favorite Alexander the Great is putting away the first in what's expected to be a line of victories. Real gamblers are looking at those long-shot odds paying off with the early Ghengis Khan victory coming together. As of this post, only about 20% of the expected votes are in, so this all could change in a matter hours....

Last edited by Paul Mann III; 25 Feb 08, 14:05.
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Change in the Odds

Horatio Nelson 53%
        Washington 46%

Slim 50%
        Manstein 50%
        Voters: 42

Rommel 43%
        Zhukov 56%

Hannibal 45%
        Scipio Africanus 55%

Frederick The Great 41%
        Duke of Wellington 58%

Eisenhower 65%
        Moltke 35%

Patton 85%
        Giap 15%

Jackson 72%
        Forrest 27%

Adolphus 86%
        Cromwell 13%
        Voters: 36

Alexander the Great 94%
        William the Conquerer 5%

Lee 90%
        Pershing 10%

Julius Caesar 78%
        Charlemagne 21%

Grant 78%
        Sherman 21%

Nimitz 27%
        Guderian 72%

Napoleon 90%
        Shaka Zulu 10%

Ghengis Khan 76%
        Saladin 23%

Around half of the expected votes are in, and things are have take definite shape. We do have a gap in the voters though, with Adolphus vs. Cromwell only getting 36 voters in, and Slim vs. Manstien getting 42 voters to the poll.

Nelson has slightly over taken Washington, possibly due in part to Washington being defeated while a Colonel. Zhukov is pulling ahead of Rommel in a battle that should have been settled ala the movie "Patton", with the two engaging is tank-on-tank combat, alone, like a duel. Africanus has also squeeked into the lead, giving Hannibal a second dose of defeat centuries after the fact.

The hottest poll is the battle between Bill Slim and Erich Von Manstein, still running at a dead tie at the time of this post. I haven't looked into the thread yet, but I suspect a hot debate is running alongside this fight.

Alexander the Great, Napolean, Robert E. Lee, George S. Patton and Gustavus Adolphus have dominated the First Round, and have a the Final Four positions locked square in their sights. It will take a real upset to move any of these contenders off the list. Napolean won the March Offensive and Adolphus won the Summer Offensive of 2007, both are bonified Champions. In light of these developments, the odds for Adolphus have been lowered to 3/1, taking him out of the "long-shot" category....
        Last edited by Paul Mann III; 26 Feb 08, 17:46.

BoRG

Comment

The heck with the odds, thank heaven we don't have to wrestle with the brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
            The heck with the odds, thank heaven we don't have to wrestle with the brackets.
            Yeah, I didn't even try to submit one. I could've used an easy to fill out form.

The new Odds are....

Alexander the Great - 2/1 odds

Napoleon - 2/1 odds

Gustavus Adolphus - 3/1 odds

Robert E. Lee - 3/1 odds

Julius Caesar - 4/1 odds

Heinz Guderian - 5/1 odds

George S. Patton, Jr. - 5/1 odds

Dwight D. Eisenhower - 5/1 odds

Genghis Khan - 6/1 odds

BoRG

Comment

So, what gives? Around 55 people have voted in the tournament so far, that's it. Where is everybody?

BoRG

Comment

Just speaking as a newbie to this forum, I would have to say that the reason voting is so minimal is that it is not so easy to navigate this site. I had to jump to some conclusions on my own on how this campaign works and it is certainly not a user friendly ballot system.

(but maybe that keeps the riff-raff out?)
                History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                _________
                BoRG

Comment

SO Far So Good

So far my picks are proceeding rather nicely. My guys are only behind in three contests. Does this make me a military genius? Hardly. Just like the NCAA basketball tournament,( coming soon!) the first round is always the easiest. Besides, some aspects of this contest are based on emotion and patriotism. I would have voted for Nelson if were not opposed by George Washington. Have to give George the nod in the first round.
                  I'll probably get hammered in round II just like March Madness. Oh well... go IKE.
                  God Save The Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                    Just speaking as a newbie to this forum, I would have to say that the reason voting is so minimal is that it is not so easy to navigate this site. I had to jump to some conclusions on my own on how this campaign works and it is certainly not a user friendly ballot system.

(but maybe that keeps the riff-raff out?)
                    Trying to use the brackets was even worse

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
                      Trying to use the brackets was even worse
                      Yeah, I still don't know if I submitted mine correctly.
                      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                      _________
                      BoRG

Comment

From Siberian HEAT

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post

You can follow the global progress here;

Tournament Brackets
                        Thanks, Chief. Tournament Brackets

BoRG

Comment

24 Hours to go in Round One

Alexander the Great 91%
                          William the Conquerer 8%

Napoleon 90%
                          Shaka Zulu 9%

Lee 87%
                          Pershing 12%

Patton 84%
                          Giap 15%

Adolphus 82%
                          Cromwell 17%

Ghengis Khan 81%
                          Saladin 18%

Julius Caesar 79%
                          Charlemagne 20%

Grant 77%
                          Sherman 22%

Eisenhower 61%
                          Moltke 38%

Horatio Nelson 54%
                          Washington 45%

Slim 44%
                          Manstein 55%

Jackson 66%
                          Forrest 33%

Nimitz 33%
                          Guderian 66%

Hannibal 46%
                          Scipio Africanus 53%

Frederick The Great 53%
                          Duke of Wellington 46%

Rommel 46%
                          Zhukov 53%

Last edited by Paul Mann III; 05 Mar 08, 20:16.

BoRG

Comment

So when does Round 1 end and Round 2 begin?

Comment

Originally posted by stjohn View Post
                              So when does Round 1 end and Round 2 begin?
                              I think Round One ends tonight....

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X