• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with IKE on this one.
    History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

I took Ike because he had a tougher job managing the coalition forces, and he had real 4 o'clock in the morning courage both on June 5--it's a go and when the Bulge occured--no frowns, we have an opportunity here. (Both obviously loose paraphrases).

Comment

I like Ike!
        CPT T
        Field Artillery
        BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
        FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Ha! I'm not sure either one could fight...they just sent others out to do it for them.
          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
          http://www.mormon.org
          http://www.sca.org
          http://www.scv.org/
          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Moltke....

Comment

Ike. Among other things for 'giving' the Russians the glory of taking Berlin, Vienna too for a while. To spare a lot of Allied lives and (unforeseen) so everyone could get a little taste of life under communism, then eventually reject it.

For what was needed politically and with Marshall maybe the best of all time. Monty supporters should maybe pause here since we're talking apples and oranges.
              Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
              (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Berlin

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                Ike. Among other things for 'giving' the Russians the glory of taking Berlin, Vienna too for a while. To spare a lot of Allied lives and (unforeseen) so everyone could get a little taste of life under communism, then eventually reject it.

For what was needed politically and with Marshall maybe the best of all time. Monty supporters should maybe pause here since we're talking apples and
                oranges.
                Ike let the Soviets expend 50,000 to 100,000 lives for a city they were going to get anyway. They wanted Berlin, let them pay for it in blood. Thousands of American and Brit lives saved, now that's worth votes for great generalship.
                God Save The Republic.

Comment

Ike could beat the Germans in any time period.

Comment

von Moltke I can understand

But why is Eisenhower even being considered as one of the greatest Generals ever?

Ok, Ok, he was the 34th President of The United States, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that he really didn't do anything during World War II except sit behind a desk or at a conference table.

Did he ever once even prove his worth in combat?

Forgive me for being new here and laying it out like this, but I have never read where Eisenhower was ever actually in combat before.

Help?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard 6 View Post
                      But why is Eisenhower even being considered as one of the greatest Generals ever?

Ok, Ok, he was the 34th President of The United States, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that he really didn't do anything during World War II except sit behind a desk or at a conference table.

Did he ever once even prove his worth in combat?

Forgive me for being new here and laying it out like this, but I have never read where Eisenhower was ever actually in combat before.

Help?
                      Ike held a coalition together under nearly impossible circumstances. Ike directed the war against Nazi Germany. Generalship covers more than directing men in combat. This 'battle' is of paper pushers. Their impact on their nations and the world at large is considerably more important than leading men in battle.
                      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                        Ike held a coalition together under nearly impossible circumstances. Ike directed the war against Nazi Germany. Generalship covers more than directing men in combat. This 'battle' is of paper pushers. Their impact on their nations and the world at large is considerably more important than leading men in battle.
                        But "Ike" never even saw any combat at all, not even in his younger days during World War I.

The closest he even came to combat was when he tackled Jim Thorpe in a football game.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard 6 View Post
                          But "Ike" never even saw any combat at all, not even in his younger days during World War I.

The closest he even came to combat was when he tackled Jim Thorpe in a football game.
                          I still don't see the problem. A general is a leader. Ike lead the western allies to victory. During WWI Ike was busy trying to set up US tank forces. Can you blame him for his doing what he was assigned to do? Ike flew over the D-day beaches in a 2 seat P-51. Now that is bravery in my book. Please remember Ike didn't lead an army or even an army group; he lead the armed forces of NATIONS in the war.
                          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X