Eisenhower vs. Moltke (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eisenhower vs. Moltke (Round 1)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Dwight David Eisenhower, born David Dwight Eisenhower (October 14, 1890 – March 28, 1969), nicknamed "Ike", was a General of the Army (five star general) in the United States Army and U.S. politician, who served as the thirty-fourth President of the United States (1953–1961). During the Second World War, he served as Supreme Commander of the Allied forces in Europe, with responsibility for planning and supervising the successful invasion of France and Germany in 1944-45. In 1951, he became the first supreme commander of NATO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke, (October 26, 1800 – April 24, 1891) was a German Generalfeldmarschall. The chief of staff of the Prussian Army for thirty years, he is widely regarded as one of the great strategists of the latter half of the 1800s, and the creator of a new, more modern method, of directing armies in the field. He is often referred to as Moltke the Elder to distinguish him from his nephew Helmuth Johann Ludwig von Moltke, who commanded the German Army at the outbreak of World War I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth...ltke_the_Elder
    Eisenhower
    60.94%
    Moltke
    39.06%

The poll is expired.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

No hesitation here, Ike all the way.

Comment

Moltke for me.

Comment

In the battle of the paper pushers; Eisenhower. He kept the few; we happy few marching on the Germans all the way into Germany and Austria.
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Moltke.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Ike. Keeping all the prim donas marching in the same direction and earning Sir Winston respect all at the same time was not a task for the weak of heart.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Ike
              "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
              -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Moltke. He was the mastermind behind the Prussian victories in the wars against Denmark (1864), Austria (1866) and France (1870-71).
                My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Eisenhower all the way, i love how this can set-up a final four match between Atlantic & Pacific theater commanders from The Big One.
                  History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                  _________
                  BoRG

Comment

I'm with Ike!

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                      Eisenhower all the way, i love how this can set-up a final four match between Atlantic & Pacific theater commanders from The Big One.
                      Perhaps we need a separate, All American version of this? I'm not speaking of you in particular but there seems to be a lot of voting along country lines rather than on the basis of accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
                        Perhaps we need a separate, All American version of this? I'm not speaking of you in particular but there seems to be a lot of voting along country lines rather than on the basis of accomplishments.
                        Who says i'm not voting on accomplishments? We all, as history enthusiasts tend to learn and dwell on the minutia of military persona & actions. However, we should never lose sight of the big picture.

On the biggest stage ever in the history of the world, Eisenhower and Nimitz continually performed well in the direst of situations.

D-Day alone puts Eisenhower in the forefront of all Generals for all time.
                        Nimitz as well for battles such as Midway & Coral Sea.

Anyways, i'm not the one who appointed them Supreme ALLIED Commanders.
                        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                          Who says i'm not voting on accomplishments?
                          I specifically said I wasn't criticizing you. However, when evaluating a general's talents it's probably best not to express a desire for a particular match up.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
                            I specifically said I wasn't criticizing you. However, when evaluating a general's talents it's probably best not to express a desire for a particular match up.
                            I am just trying to influence future decisions.

Nobody said this was supposed to be a fair fight, did they?
                            _________
                            BoRG

Comment

Nobody said this was supposed to be a fair fight, did they?
                              One of our members has the sig of

If you find yourself in a fair fight then you have planned wrong

HP
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X