Jackson vs. Forrest (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson vs. Forrest (Round 1)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson, (January 21, 1824[1] – May 10, 1863) was a Confederate general during the American Civil War, and probably the most revered Confederate commander after General Robert E. Lee.[2] He is most famous for his audacious Valley Campaign of 1862 and as a corps commander in the Army of Northern Virginia under Robert E. Lee. Confederate pickets accidentally shot him at the Battle of Chancellorsville on May 2, 1863, which the general survived, albeit with the loss of an arm to amputation. However, he died of complications of pneumonia eight days later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_Jackson

Nathan Bedford Forrest (July 13, 1821 – October 29, 1877) was a lieutenant general in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War. He is remembered both as a self made and innovative cavalry leaders of the war and a figure in the postwar establishment of the Ku Klux Klanorganization apposing the military occupation and rule. A cavalry and partisan (guerrilla) commander in the war, Forrest is also one of the war's most unusual figures. He is the only solder in either army to enlist as a private and end the war as a general officer. He discovered and established new doctrines for mobile forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest
    Jackson
    67.69%
    Forrest
    32.31%

The poll is expired.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Ol' Blue Light for me.

Comment

Jackson. Not keen on the Ku klux uniform.

Comment

Jackson.
        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Both guys are as nutty as fruitcake, but I give the edge to Jackson's Foot Cavalry than Forrest's Horse Cavalry. Another way to look at it is who's death would hurt the Confederacy most? Answer: Jackson's would and did.
          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

I went with Forrest. He truly understand the emerging form of modern warfare. Jackson had some serious bad moments (Peninsula and the 7 Days) while Forrest was always excellent whether as part of a larger force or in independent command.

Comment

Went with Stonewall. His loss was a setback to the Confederacy.
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Yeah Stonewall
                "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Stonewall Jackson.
                  My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

As much as it pains me to vote for the KKK founder, Forrest was the more innovative commander, with real battlefield success.
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

Forrest was more innovative. Too bad these guys had to go head-to-head in the first round. They both should be advancing.

Comment

It seriously is ripping me in two!

The man who slept his way through the Seven Days and refused to hold council of wars, or the man who was the Wizard of the Saddle?

AHHH! I'll take.......Forrest.
                        History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                          Forrest was more innovative. Too bad these guys had to go head-to-head in the first round. They both should be advancing.
                          Agreed, these two head to head makes for nasty choice, but I went with Forrest.

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                            As much as it pains me to vote for the KKK founder, Forrest was the more innovative commander, with real battlefield success.
                            This is a tough one... Lee's right arm or his right leg... I think I'll have to go with Jackson...

and for the record, the group Forest started was not founded on the racist bigitry of the Klan today... He was opposed to Carpet Baggers and the unjust military post-war occupation... the only justice was "mob justice"

Once they started getting out of hand, he distanced himself from them as much as he could... but the label stuck with him...
                            CPT T
                            Field Artillery
                            BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
                            FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Tough call. Man.

Wow. That's a tough one.

Had to go with Old Blue Light.
                              Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                              Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                              http://www.mormon.org
                              http://www.sca.org
                              http://www.scv.org/
                              http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X