No announcement yet.

Horatio Nelson vs. Washington (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horatio Nelson vs. Washington (Round 1)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, KB (29 September 1758 – 21 October 1805) was a British admiral famous for his participation in the Napoleonic Wars, most notably in the Battle of Trafalgar, a decisive British victory in the war, during which he lost his life.[1] Nelson went against the conventional tactics of the time by cutting through the enemy's lines. Nelson was noted for his ability to inspire and bring out the best in his men, to the point that it gained a name: "The Nelson Touch". His actions during these wars and his heroic image as a one-armed, one-eyed patriot, ensured that before and after his death he was revered like few military figures have been throughout British history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Nelson

George Washington, (February 22, 1732 – December 14, 1799) was the first President of the United States, (1789–1797),[4] after leading the Continental Army to victory over the Kingdom of Great Britain in the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783). Washington was chosen to be the commander-in-chief of the American revolutionary forces in 1775. The following year, he forced the British out of Boston, but was defeated when he lost New York City later that year. He revived the patriot cause, however, by crossing the Delaware River in New Jersey and defeating the surprised enemy units. As a result of his strategy, Revolutionary forces captured the two main British combat armies — Saratoga and Yorktown. Negotiating with Congress, the colonial states, and French allies, he held together a tenuous army and a fragile nation amid the threats of disintegration and failure. Following the end of the war in 1783, Washington retired to his plantation on Mount Vernon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington
    Horatio Nelson
    53.85%
    Washington
    46.15%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Admiral; 22 Feb 08, 00:51.
    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Nelson here.

Comment

Nelson for me.

Comment

One won many battles and got a pigeon roost in the middle of London.

One lost more battles than he won and left the start of a free and independent country.

No contest for me.

The last good George we had.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Lord Nel gets my vote.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Very,very tough. I go with the father of my country. But I do admire and respect Nelson too. Hard to pick.
            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

George triumphed against a continental army with an army put together on the fly.
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I tied it up for Nelson
                "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Very tough to choose... but I have to go with Nelson.
                  My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Washington. Nelson was great, but usually had much superior forces.

George had to improvise. Never had a chance logistically and still won.
                    Yes, he lost more engagements then he won, but he also knew the value of picking his battles. Morale and perceived victories were more important to keeping the Revolution going.

I dare say, George won more Hearts & Minds than Horatio.

(Interesting as well, I grew up on the corner of Saratoga & Trafalgar, street names in my neighborhood. My address was Saratoga, maybe influenced me a little)
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                      Washington. Nelson was great, but usually had much superior forces.

George had to improvise. Never had a chance logistically and still won.
                      Yes, he lost more engagements then he won, but he also knew the value of picking his battles. Morale and perceived victories were more important to keeping the Revolution going.

I dare say, George won more Hearts & Minds than Horatio.

(Interesting as well, I grew up on the corner of Saratoga & Trafalgar, street names in my neighborhood. My address was Saratoga, maybe influenced me a little)
                      True Nelson had the better trained crews, but at the Nile the ships were about even in numbers, at Trafalgar the British had 27 ships to the combined fleets of 33, and i think Nelson was well loved by his nation and crews.
                      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Washington is getting alot of votes out of patriotism and becuase he is such a central figure in US history. I think if Nelson and Washington were both American, or if they were from different countries, then Nelson would get more votes.

It almost feels un-American to vote against Washington.

Comment

Originally posted by Post Captain View Post
                          True Nelson had the better trained crews, but at the Nile the ships were about even in numbers, at Trafalgar the British had 27 ships to the combined fleets of 33, and i think Nelson was well loved by his nation and crews.
                          I didn't mean to step on any toes. Sorry.

I think you know that Nelson had far superior ships in both size, crew, & guns.

and Washington is still winning Hearts & Minds of revolutionaries the world over. People as diverse as Giap, Mao, & Yamamoto copied the way he led his Army and the way he communicated with the public.

That being said, I think you know it is hard for me to vote against the Ultimate Navy Man!
                          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                          _________
                          BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                            I didn't mean to step on any toes. Sorry.

I think you know that Nelson had far superior ships in both size, crew, & guns.

and Washington is still winning Hearts & Minds of revolutionaries the world over. People as diverse as Giap, Mao, & Yamamoto copied the way he led his Army and the way he communicated with the public.

That being said, I think you know it is hard for me to vote against the Ultimate Navy Man!
                            It's your opinion, you are not stepping on any toes, i am bound to be bias, just look at my avatar.
                            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Hard, Hard to choose. Nelson: Won more battles and effectivly stopped Napoleon from getting to Britain.

Washington: Lost more then he won, but forced the surrender of the most British troops to that date.

I'm going to go with.....Nelson.
                              History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X