No announcement yet.

Hannibal vs Scipio Africanus (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hannibal vs Scipio Africanus (Round 1)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Hannibal, the son of Hamilcar Barca, (247 BC – c. 183 BC;[1][2][3][4][5]) was a Punic military commander and politician, later also working in other professions, who is popularly credited as one of the finest commanders in history. He lived during a period of tension in the Mediterranean, when Rome (then the Roman Republic) established its supremacy over other great powers such as Carthage, Macedon, Syracuse and the Seleucid empire. He is one of the best-known Carthaginian commanders. His most famous achievement was at the outbreak of the Second Punic War, when he marched an army, which included war elephants, from Iberia over the Pyrenees and the Alps into northern Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal

Scipio Africanus, Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus Major (Latin: P·CORNELIVS·P·F·L·N·SCIPIO·AFRICANVS¹) (236–183 BC) was a general in the Second Punic War and statesman of the Roman Republic. He was best known for defeating Hannibal of Carthage, a feat that earned him the surname Africanus, the nickname the Roman Hannibal and recognition as one of the finest commanders in military history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scipio_Africanus
    Hannibal
    46.15%
    Scipio Africanus
    53.85%

The poll is expired.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Hannibal had elephants, enough said

Comment

Scipio for me. Elephants didn't scare him.

Comment

Scipio Africanus....the man who was THE ROMAN LEGIONAIRE.
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Scipio got my vote.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Has to be Hannibal for me. Purely for his ability and vision to be able fight so many different and innovative styles of battle in a world of set piece warfare.

Comment

Zama all over again?

I went with Hannibal.
              My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Hannibal.

Won when he shouldn't have. Even after fighting his way through all of Southern Europe, the Romans still underestimated him and got beat good!!!

Scipio was just the man in charge of the retaliation campaign and copied Hannibal's tactics.
                History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                _________
                BoRG

Comment

Scipio for me.

Comment

This match pairs one who defeated the other in battle!

As it was... so it is, for me.

Scipio Africanus

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Scipio defeated both Hasdrubal and Hannible, both were geniuses, and both of his battles are turning points in history. Duh!
                      History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

Hypothetical question alert!

Would we even know who Scipio is if he hadn't defeated Hannibal?

I feel it is the greatness of his well known and acknowledged opponent who made Scipio a hero.

Rocky wouldn't have been a good story without acknowledging how great Appollo was.
                        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

I don't know that well-known always correlates to great. Look at Slim. Alot of people have never heard of him and he fought as recently as WWII.

Comment

Hannibal....because he had the stones to kill himself before being taken by the Roman intelligence agents who had hunted him down. More imaginative than Scipio....and afterall, no one ever tracked Scipio down to put a dagger in his ear, long after the fighting was done....sorta speaks to the danger of Hannibal's brilliant mind long after his state was kaput.

Comment

Originally posted by TrenchRat View Post
                              and afterall, no one ever tracked Scipio down to put a dagger in his ear, long after the fighting was done....sorta speaks to the danger of Hannibal's brilliant mind long after his state was kaput.

You could also use that point to show why Scipio was better; his state survived the war and he beat Hannibal.
                              And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
                              Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
                              Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
                              Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X