Slim vs. Manstein (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slim vs. Manstein (Round 1)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Erich von Manstein (November 24, 1887–June 10, 1973) served the German military as a lifelong professional soldier. He became one of the most prominent commanders of Nazi Germany's armed forces (Wehrmacht). During World War II he attained the rank of Field Marshal (Generalfeldmarschall).

He was the initiator and one of the planners of the Ardennes-offensive alternative in the invasion of France in 1940. He received acclaim from the Nazi-German leadership for the victorious battles of Perekop Isthmus, Kerch, Sevastopol and Kharkov. He commanded the failed relief effort at Stalingrad and the Cherkassy pocket evacuation. He was dismissed from service by Adolf Hitler in March 1944, due to his frequent clashes with Hitler over military strategy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manstein

Field Marshal William Joseph Slim, 1st Viscount Slim, KG, GCB, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, DSO, MC, (6 August 1891 – 14 December 1970) was a British military commander and the 13th Governor-General of Australia. He fought in both World War I and World War II. He was wounded in action three times during his career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Slim
    Slim
    42.86%
    Manstein
    57.14%

The poll is expired.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

I went for Slim who I think tends to get ignored.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Slim for me. A successful officer with a great record.

Comment

Manstein for me, Slim wouldn't stand a chance against him.

Comment

Went for Slim.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Like Lee; Slim did so much with so little and is so badly unrecognized it's not funny. Manstein, imnsho, is overrated.
            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

I think any officer that get relieved by Hitler for disagreeing on strategy is a superior officer.

Comment

For as much as I like Slim, Manstein was a jack of all trades.
                If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

How can Slim be leading.
                  Wisdom is personal

Comment

Slim is a better general. He didn't get a free ride to write his memoirs without proof other than what his side could supply.

Comment

I have to admit, when you consider Manstein's accomplishments I'm surprised this is even close.

- Significant input on the initial plan for the attack on France
                      - The siege of Sevastopol
                      - Saving what was left of Army Group South after the disaster of Stalingrad
                      - Actually getting Wintergewitter underway amidst the chaos
                      - The "Backhand Blow"

I certainly agree with those here who say that Slim is underrated and ignored, but I just can't see how you can ignore Manstein's accomplishments. For me, saving Army Group South ranks as one of the greatest military achievements of all time.

Comment

Manstein for me.
                        My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Manstein for me.

I have to admit here again that I was unfamiliar with Slim until Armchair General covered him recently. He was a great leader, that can't be questioned, but in the long run, Manstein was more effective on a grander scale.
                          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                          _________
                          BoRG

Comment

Slim - don't know why he doesn't get more attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                              Manstein for me.

I have to admit here again that I was unfamiliar with Slim until Armchair General covered him recently. He was a great leader, that can't be questioned, but in the long run, Manstein was more effective on a grander scale.
                              According to Manstein.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X