Guderian vs. Nimitz (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guderian vs. Nimitz (Round 1)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Heinz Wilhelm Guderian (17 June 1888 – 14 May 1954) was a military theorist and innovative General of the German Army during the Second World War. Germany's panzer forces were raised and fought according to his works, best-known among them Achtung - Panzer! He held posts as Panzer Corps commander, Panzer Army commander, Inspector-General of Armored Troops, and chief of staff of the army (Chef des Generalstabs des Heeres). He rose to the rank of full general (Generaloberst) or Colonel General in July 1940. Although he never became a Field Marshal, Guderian is recognized as one of the most prominent generals of WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Wilhelm_Guderian

Chester William Nimitz (February 24, 1885 – February 20, 1966) was the Commander in Chief of Pacific Forces for the United States and Allied forces during World War II. He was the United States' leading authority on submarines, as well as Chief of the Navy's Bureau of Navigation in 1939. He was his country's last surviving Fleet Admiral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Nimitz
    Nimitz
    32.81%
    Guderian
    67.19%

The poll is expired.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Crikey that's a hard one - Nimitz' success vs. Guderian's theories.

Guderian for me I'm afraid - I read his book!

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Gudy for me too

Comment

Guderian. His application proved his theories.

Comment

As much as I hate it; Guederian. Papa Bear of the Panzerwaffe.
          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Guderian gets my vote.
            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Schnell Heinz for me!
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

This is actually kind of an interesting comparison as both leaders were visionary in their approach to strategy. Still, Guderian gets the nod from me as the effects of his thinking are still felt today.

Comment

I went with Nimitz. Guderian and the Panzers got all the buzz but War II was decided as much on the ocean as on land. Without the US ability to supply GB and the USSR, the war could have been much different.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberRanger View Post
                    I went with Nimitz. Guderian and the Panzers got all the buzz but War II was decided as much on the ocean as on land. Without the US ability to supply GB and the USSR, the war could have been much different.
                    But what did Nimitz have to do with that, exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
                      But what did Nimitz have to do with that, exactly?
                      Really nothing directly. We could argue his success in the Pacific enabled the Atlantic Fleet to operate without the temptation to pull vessels from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

I was really talking more generically. I think history in general focuses more on the land wars than on the naval battles. Yet, the wet battles can be just as important, especially when long watery supply lines are involved.

Comment

I went with the father of Panzer warfare
                        "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                        -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Airchallenged View Post
                          I went with the father of Panzer warfare
                          Marshal Tukhachevskii??
                          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Guderian, although he's not one of my favorites.
                            My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Nimitz.

This is where the popularity contests become confusing.

How does a Nazi General suck-up, rate higher than the Supreme Allied Commander, Pacific Theater (leader of the largest campaign in the entire HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!??!!???)
                              History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                              _________
                              BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X