Patton vs. Giap (Round 1)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
    That doesn't really answer the question. Also, those waves of Chinese soldiers didn't win the war. Giap did.
    But that is not the criteria. The criteria is best general. If you have to win to be considered one of them then we can eliminate all those famous Germans.

A general uses the tools he has at his disposal. Patton had overwhelming air supremacy, material resources his enemy could only dream of and was operating on what could be called a secondary front. Does that make him less of a general? That's a rhetorical question, btw.
    I will answer it anyway. It might. One could certainly make that argument. Just as some argue that Slim might have been a failure on the Western Front.

Who cares? Oh, I got beat by politics, no fair?
    We care because we are supposed to be evaluating the military skills of the people in these polls. Not whether they won or lost. This is l about military skills, not political skills or circumstances. Again, take away the politics and Giap wins nothing. Take away the politics and Patton maybe wins more.

I mean, let's be real here. Germany wasn't beaten by Patton..
    Right. Just as the US was not beaten by Giap.

So far as I know, there's nothing in this contest that says the best general must only be a great tactician.
    Actually, I thought that was the point.

And finally, I go back to a question I sort of raised in my last post: if I erased Patton from history, would the result of WW2 been dramatically changed? If I erased Giap?
    Probably the same. Now if you erased people like Churchill or Ho Chi Minh, that is different.

To me this poss is about who is the better general. Put the two head to head in battle on similar terms and who wins because of superior abilities. I think Patton.
    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 28 Feb 08, 15:04.

Comment

I am not fully up to date with Vietnam militay leaders, so will take my lead from you guys, and, by democratic process, will have to go with Patton , seems he was the better MILITARY leader of the two..

Comment

A lot of these 'tests' blur the line between tactics and strategy. I've got to go Giap because he knew what was needed long haul strategy. Patton would win on tactics, where if you gave him the fuel he'd give you the mileage.
        Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
        (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
          Patton would win on tactics, where if you gave him the fuel he'd give you the mileage.
          As long as he had an open road....
          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
            But that is not the criteria. The criteria is best general. If you have to win to be considered one of them then we can eliminate all those famous Germans.

To me this poss is about who is the better general. Put the two head to head in battle on similar terms and who wins because of superior abilities. I think Patton.
            I have to completely agree with MS on this one... Patton vs Giap... Completely different leadership styles in completely different fights... I think Patton would have wiped out Giap... hands down...

I agree... who cares if they one or lost... look at each man's abilities as a leader... and the comment about military vs. political victory... From a military standpoint, the US "won" the Viet Nam war... NVN simply "didn't loose"... The only reason VN is one country is because of US politics!

I dare anyone to study that conflict and make a good argument against that point!

To those who never returned...

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!
            CPT T
            Field Artillery
            BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
            FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X