Patton vs. Giap (Round 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patton vs. Giap (Round 1)

Here are some facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

George Smith Patton Jr. (November 11, 1885 – December 21, 1945) was a leading U.S. Army general in World War II in campaigns in North Africa, Sicily, France and Germany, 1943-45. In World War I he was a senior commander of the new tank corps and saw action in France. After the war he was an advocate of armored warfare but was reassigned to the cavalry. In World War II he commanded major units of North Africa, Sicily, and the European Theater of Operations. The popular image of "Old Blood and Guts", contrasts with the historians' image of a brilliant military leader whose record was also marred by insubordination and some periods of apparent instability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton

General Vơ Nguyên Giáp (born c. 1912)[2] is a Vietnamese general and statesman. Principal wars: First Indochina War (1946-1954) and Second Indochina War (1960-1975).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giap
    Patton
    85.29%
    Giap
    14.71%

The poll is expired.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

George gets my vote on this one.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

No idea what Giap is doing here in the first place, Blood & Guts all the way!

Comment

Patton for me. Both had their problems though.

Comment

Patton gets my vote.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Now what exactly did Giap do again?
            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
              No idea what Giap is doing here in the first place, Blood & Guts all the way!
              My feelings exactly

Comment

I'm not the biggest fan of Patton, but in this match up there is little question.

HP
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                  I'm not the biggest fan of Patton, but in this match up there is little question.

HP
                  Trust me HP; it's better than what it was.

Comment

Patton over giap just look at the guys record he beat two of the three biggest nations on the planet.

46-56 vs France ..Win
                    60-75 vs US and Allies ..Win
                    79 vs China ..win

the guy was the mastermind behind these battles and very few in this list could have achieved this.. It strikes me Patton was good but purely a tactician were Giap was an all round military genius at all levels.

Verbal

I bet that not 1 American voted for Giap and that is just pure vitriol.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                      Now what exactly did Giap do again?
                      Defeated the greatest military power in the world. Does that count?

I voted Giap simply because this particular match is far more lopsided than it should be. Patton was a great general, no doubt, but his successes all occurred in an environment where he had overwhelming air superiority with incredible amounts of materiel. Giap won with virtually nothing.
                      Last edited by DingBat; 25 Feb 08, 16:03.

Comment

Go Blood n' Guts!
                        "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                        -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Originally posted by verbaluzi View Post
                          Verbal

I bet that not 1 American voted for Giap and that is just pure vitriol.
                          I belive Dingbat has his country listed as the US so there goes your theory.
                          Patton got his victories away from home in N. Africa and in Europe. His performance at the Battle of the Bulge was extremly important. Giap launched the Tet Offensive which was similar to the attack by the Germans from the Battle of the Bulge and was soundly defeated. I don't think Giap could go away from home like Patton did and get the victories.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
                            Defeated the greatest military power in the world. Does that count?

I voted Giap simply because this particular match is far more lopsided than it should be. Patton was a great general, no doubt, but his successes all occurred in an environment where he had overwhelming air superiority with incredible amounts of materiel. Giap won with virtually nothing.
                            Except it can be argued, successfully I think, that the US defeated the US in Vietnam.

Comment

All Giap did was throw bodies at his problems. Any commander with his casualty rates working for a non totalitarian government would have been sacked early on.

For that matter, I doubt very seriously Napoleon would have tolerated such losses from one of his commanders either.

Patton would not have lasted a blink of an eye with Giap levels of casualties.

As for the Chinese invasion, that was a joke. China was simply expressing its displeasure with Vietnam. They didn't even use combined arms. It was not a serious attack on their part. If it had been Giap would have ended up in a Chinese Gulag at the very least.
                              Last edited by Miss Saigon; 25 Feb 08, 20:39.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X