No announcement yet.

The 100 Generals (now 32) Contest [brackets available - voting Feb 25]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant wait to go and sink my teeth into this , Siberian heat....

Comment

Are we getting Ribbons for this?
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
        Definitely.
        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
          Definitely.
          Are we required to submit brackets this time, or is voting in every poll still enough to get the ribbon?
          "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

So brackets are available Feb 25? When do they need to be submitted by?
            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
              So brackets are available Feb 25? When do they need to be submitted by?
              Brackets are available now, they need to be submitted before Feb 25 when the polling will start.

Comment

Are we required to submit brackets this time, or is voting in every poll still enough to get the ribbon?
                You don't have to submit brackets to get your ribbon, just vote in all polls will do. A "V" device will go to the one who submitted the winning brackets form however, see FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
                  Q. What do I need to do to get a ribbon?
                  A. Be a member of our community and vote in ALL 5 rounds of the tournament.
                  As in the past (Summer Campaign)... I believe missing a poll is OK, but you must vote in at least 1 poll in each of the 5 Rounds.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Patton can beat everybody except maybe napolean

Comment

Don't Forget these guys...

This being my first post on Armchair General, I want pleasant and civilized discussions. Being what one would call a "Cash Poor" Student, I am not subscribed to Armchair General Magazine. When I look on the newstands in Barnes and Noble, I see if it talks of something that is of interest to me. I love Military History. I particularly love learning about the great captains, generals, leaders, and heroes of Military History. The recent issue of Armchair General did have my list of whom I personally consider the Top 10 Great Captains:
                      1. Napoleon Bonaparte
                      2. Alexander the Great
                      3. Gaius Julius Caesar
                      4. Genghis Kahn
                      5. Hannibal Barca
                      6. Saladiin
                      7. Gustavus Adolphus
                      8. Frederick the Great
                      9. John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough
                      10. Ulysses S. Grant
                      (Military History's Most Wanted, M. Evan Brooks).
                      And I think the vast majority of those on the Top 100 List of the recent issue deserve a place, but I think we could afford to include a few "Honorable Mentions" if you will.

1. Charles Martel - On October 23, 732 AD, he stopped the Muslim invasion of Europe from extending in the west beyond Spain. At the Battle of Tours/Poiteirs his strong and patient defensive tactics broke the heavy cavalry advances of the enemy and saved the Christian roots from which his grandson Charlemange (who dose deserve his place on the list) would start to bring Europe out of the Dark Ages.

2. Jan Zizka - National Hero of the Czechs he led a religious rebellion against the Catholic Church. The first and greatest leader of the "Hussite Rebellions", despite being old and having only one eye, he was an experienced soldier and leader. He won many victories against overwhelming odds using "Wagenburg" tactics and strategies that predated tank warfare. Though he died of the plague before the end of the Hussite Wars, his tactics and strategies beat
                      numerous Catholic Crusades and was a precursor to the Reformation.

3. George H. Thomas - A native Virginian who remained loyal to the Union during the Civil War, he won the nickname "Rock of Chickamauga" for saving the Union Army at that battle from annihilation and got revenge at Chattanooga. He also desicively smashed the Confederate Army under John B. Hood at Nashville. An overachiever in defensive and offensive battles, his carreer demands a close examination.

I could go on with those whom I think deserve a place on the list, but I will instead say whom I am rooting for as the best General ever. If you havent guesed already...it is Napoleon Bonaparte. Who else had an entire era of warefare named after them? He rose from a non-royal house to rule over an Empire that had over 70 million people within. He along with many other great commanders, changed the rules of fighting and didn't tell his opponents (who the heck would?).

Comment

The day has arrived to make your mark upon military history!

The Greatest Generals Campaign has begun!

The submission of brackets has ended.

Let the battles begin!

ATTACK!

ATTACK!

ATTACK!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

How can anyone possibly beat Alexander The Great. Lee isheads over heels over Grant, who is a butcher. Almost anyone could have won with the vast sheer numbers of men that he had.

Comment

Originally posted by Godfrey of Utah View Post
                            but I think we could afford to include a few "Honorable Mentions" if you will.

1. Charles Martel - On October 23, 732 AD, he stopped the Muslim invasion of Europe from extending in the west beyond Spain. At the Battle of Tours/Poiteirs his strong and patient defensive tactics broke the heavy cavalry advances of the enemy and saved the Christian roots from which his grandson Charlemange (who dose deserve his place on the list) would start to bring Europe out of the Dark Ages.

2. Jan Zizka - National Hero of the Czechs he led a religious rebellion against the Catholic Church. The first and greatest leader of the "Hussite Rebellions", despite being old and having only one eye, he was an experienced soldier and leader. He won many victories against overwhelming odds using "Wagenburg" tactics and strategies that predated tank warfare. Though he died of the plague before the end of the Hussite Wars, his tactics and strategies beat
                            numerous Catholic Crusades and was a precursor to the Reformation.

3. George H. Thomas - A native Virginian who remained loyal to the Union during the Civil War, he won the nickname "Rock of Chickamauga" for saving the Union Army at that battle from annihilation and got revenge at Chattanooga. He also desicively smashed the Confederate Army under John B. Hood at Nashville. An overachiever in defensive and offensive battles, his carreer demands a close examination.
                            I would add to your list Prince Eugene of Savoy, definitely one of the best general ever, pretty comparable to Marlborough
                            Last edited by Piccolo; 26 Feb 08, 18:35.
                            "Another such victory over the Romans and we are undone".

Pyrrhus of Epirus

Comment

Round II begins!

The 100 Generals Contest - Round II

All votes for round I are in, you can now start voting for round II !!!
                              (Voting for round II will close March 25)

ATTACK!

ATTACK!

ATTACK!

Last edited by Boonierat; 11 Mar 08, 02:11.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X