Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History’s 100 Greatest Commanders - Round One - Poll no 3 of 4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't made it that far yet, though I remember reading excerpts that he really shined on the Western Front. I am taking a break to read a 15-volume set on the US Navy's role in WWII. I wish I had more time to read history, if it weren't for military history I think I would already be in med school!

Comment

That sounds like what I snuck to school to read in class during the 8th grade (one at a time!). If it is the set by Samuel Morrison, keep in mind his son, Jim Morrison of the Doors!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Looks like Moltke wont have much chance on this american forum
        "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Get more Swedes and Germans to join.....

Comment

I think nationality skews all of our opinions much more than we would like to admit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite View Post
              Looks like Moltke wont have much chance on this american forum
              Some of us Yanks voted for him.
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Whoever voted for Eisenhower should hang their heads in shame.
                Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

Not really, Jester, he did direct the winning side in Western Europe. He defeated several good German Generals doing it. Ike would not have been in my top five, but since I voted for eight in this round, that had him about right.

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by thejester View Post
                    He did manage to control Patton, I think that was a pretty good victory.
                    FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

Originally posted by thejester View Post
                      Considering the ego's of many of his subordinates he did a great job just keeping the coalition together.
                      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                        Considering the ego's of many of his subordinates he did a great job just keeping the coalition together.
                        Even if we believe that the US-Britain coalition could somehow have been torn apart in SHAEF conference rooms (and I don't), this makes Eisenhower a good politician, not a good general. Maybe I'm doing him a disservice, but when did he ever show any kind of skill in the actual business of fighting? IMO his single greatest achievement whilst in uniform was having the courage to say 'Go' on that rainy night in June 1944, events afterwards in the European theatre were either out of his direct control or simply stumbled from attritional battle to attritional battle, until the Ardennes offensive, the Vistual-Oder operation and the change in Wehrmacht replacement policy made the task much easier.
                        Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

Jester,

He told Patton and Montgomery what they could do and when they could do it. He also was able to ride herd on DeGaulle. The Commander in Chief's job is not how to tell his guys how to do their job. It is to hear out proposals and decide which one he wants to do. Really it was similar to the job Marshall did back in the US.

Pruitt

Comment

I voted against, well didn't vote for, Moltke as he was more a planner than a fighting general. But I tried to make sure non-Americans or Non-British were included as well.
                            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Jackson
                              Lee
                              Grant
                              Sherman
                              Chuikov
                              Ike
                              "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                              -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Grant
                                Lee
                                Sherma
                                Pershing
                                Ike
                                http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X