Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History’s 100 Greatest Commanders - Round One - Poll no 2 of 4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History’s 100 Greatest Commanders - Round One - Poll no 2 of 4.

The March 2008 issue of Armchair General (on news stands NOW) features a list of the 100 greatest military commanders of all time.

To tie in with this feature article, we are holding a series of polls to find the single greatest commander of all time - according to our readership.

Here is poll 2 of 4 in the first round of this contest featuring the first 25 commanders in chronological order (or alphabetical order for later eras).

Details of each commander can be found in the pages of your copy of Armchair General magazine.

You are able to vote for multiple generals in each poll, but in order that we might get meaningful results, we would ask you to restrict your votes to your top 5 from each poll.

At the end of this preliminary "elimination" round, we will be taking the top 8 commanders from each poll and then creating brackets to finish the competition like our normal tournaments.

So who is history's greatest commander? YOU decide!

Don't forget to vote in the other polls!

Poll 1.

Poll 3.

Poll 4.

Dr. S.
    Suleiman I
    1.04%
    Ieyasu Tokugawa
    3.46%
    Francis Drake
    2.77%
    Maurice of Nassau
    1.04%
    Gustavus Adolphus
    10.03%
    Oliver Cromwell
    4.15%
    Turenne
    1.04%
    Duke of Marlborough
    2.77%
    Maurice de Saxe
    0.35%
    Frederick the Great
    9.34%
    George Washington
    9.00%
    John Jervis
    0.35%
    Mikhail Kutuzov
    1.04%
    Horatio Nelson
    9.34%
    Andre Massena
    1.38%
    Michel Ney
    1.38%
    Napoleon
    17.65%
    Duke of Wellington
    7.27%
    Francisco Pizarro
    1.73%
    Hernando Cortez
    2.08%
    Simon Bolivar
    2.42%
    Shaka Zulu
    3.81%
    Geronimo
    2.42%
    Louis Botha
    1.38%
    David Farragut
    2.77%

The poll is expired.

Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

My top 5 for this round:

Napoleon
    Frederick the Great
    Nelson
    Gustavus Adolphus
    George Washington

Comment

My boys for this round are:

Napoleon: He's the greatest military mind in history, and only lost a very few battles, mostly due to nature conspiaring against him.

George Washington: Although he thought about plans that his militia army couldn't do, he ended up making his army such a match for the British army, he fought them to a draw then destroyed thier last effort to take back America.

Horatio Nelson: Never lost a battle at Sea (unless there's one I've never read about) and destroyed any chance for England to fall to Napoleon.

Fernando Cortez: Led 600 men, and destroyed a nation on millions of warriors.

Duke of Wellington: Although he lost his first battle splendidly, he learned from his mistakes, and won battles by simply letting the enemy wear themselves out.

Fransico Pizzaro: Destroyed the Incas with only a few hundred men and in a few years.

Simon Bolivar: Won massive victories against the Spanish, spelling the end of their South American Empire.
      History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

Some of mine were a little deficient in votes, others were doing well:
        Nelson
        Duke of Wellington
        Mikail Kutuzov
        Napoleon
        Gustavus Adolphus

Comment

The Thirty Years War generals (Gustavus and Turenne) were founders of the rise of professional armies (plus I'm researching the Thirty Years War)!
          "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

Wow, 5 out of this group is tough.

Frederick the Great
            George Washington
            Napoleon
            Wellington
            Farragut
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I thought 5 out of every group was tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                I thought 5 out of every group was tough.
                I didn't have a problem with the first poll, but then it got progressively harder to choose.
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Mmmm, certainly tough to just pick five....

Napolean.

Horatio Nelson.

Federick the great.

Francis Drake.

and Fransico Pizarro.

Comment

Nelson
                    Washington
                    Napoleon
                    Wellington
                    Adolphuis

(In not particular order.)
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Napoleon
                      Turenne
                      Frederick the Great
                      Duke of Marlborough
                      Nelson
                      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

My top 5.
                        Alexander The Great
                        Hannibal
                        Frederick The Great
                        Napoleon
                        Ghengis Khan

Although I am a fan of George Patton, it must be remembered that he always had the advantage in men, airplanes, and tanks. Some men, such as Alexander, was almost always outnumbered, but never lost a battle.

Comment

wow

gosh alot of people like Napoleon. I personally think of him as a villain rather than a hero... also a stupid stradigist, in MY OPINION. please do not harrass me over this. I mean come on. The Russains sloughtered his army like sheep and pigs. They took Napoleon in further and further into Russia untill the cold choked them with pneumonia and froze their bodies till they blackened with frost bite, leaving Russian troops to kill/capture any survivers. The Russians goal to starv the French army and nuturalize ammo depots was achieved by burning their own abandoned villages before Nepoleon got to them. Nepoleon should of rethought his plans before attacking.
                          "Since when do you have to tell the enemy when he has won?"
                          -Mazer Rackham to Ender ("Ender's Game" pg. 262)

Comment

I don't think hero or villian is playing into anyone's vote here, just great commanders. Napoleon isn't one of my favorites, but you can't deny his place in history as one of the greats.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                              I don't think hero or villian is playing into anyone's vote here, just great commanders. Napoleon isn't one of my favorites, but you can't deny his place in history as one of the greats.
                              Yea I know people look beyond good or evil, villian, or whatever. I just think he had a major fault, but didn't they all now that I look at Ceaser, Rommel, Lee, and many others. I's just a matter of what they accomplished, not how evil it was or how wrong it was or that they faught for the south and such. It's about the Commanders in general. They all had faults.

So your right, Nepoleon can be and is one of the greats to many people.
                              "Since when do you have to tell the enemy when he has won?"
                              -Mazer Rackham to Ender ("Ender's Game" pg. 262)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X