Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History’s 100 Greatest Commanders - Round One - Poll no 1 of 4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History’s 100 Greatest Commanders - Round One - Poll no 1 of 4.

The March 2008 issue of Armchair General (on news stands NOW) features a list of the 100 greatest military commanders of all time.

To tie in with this feature article, we are holding a series of polls to find the single greatest commander of all time - according to our readership.

Here is poll 1 of 4 in the first round of this contest featuring the first 25 commanders in chronological order (or alphabetical order for later eras).

Details of each commander can be found in the pages of your copy of Armchair General magazine.

You are able to vote for multiple generals in each poll, but in order that we might get meaningful results, we would ask you to restrict your votes to your top 5 from each poll.

At the end of this preliminary "elimination" round, we will be taking the top 8 commanders from each poll and then creating brackets to finish the competition like our normal tournaments.

So who is history's greatest commander? YOU decide!

Don't forget to vote in the other polls!

Poll 2.

Poll 3.

Poll 4.

Dr. S.
    Joshua
    0.73%
    Miltiades
    0.73%
    Leonidas
    2.20%
    Themistocles
    2.20%
    Philip II
    2.20%
    Alexander the Great
    19.41%
    Qin Shi Huang
    1.47%
    Hannibal
    9.16%
    Scipio Africanus
    8.79%
    Julius Caesar
    10.26%
    Marcus Agrippa
    1.10%
    Arminius (Hermann)
    1.47%
    Attila the Hun
    3.66%
    Flavius Belisarius
    2.56%
    Khalid ibn al-Walid
    1.10%
    Charlemagne
    4.40%
    William the Conqueror
    4.03%
    Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar
    0.37%
    Saladin
    6.59%
    Genghis Khan
    10.26%
    Subutai (Subudai)
    1.47%
    Alexander Nevsky
    1.83%
    Edward I
    1.47%
    Tamerlane
    1.83%
    Mehmed II
    0.73%

The poll is expired.

Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Is it supposed to be mulitple choice?

And where is Jim Gavin? I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't rate the top 100....
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 01 Feb 08, 13:59.
    "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Voted for the obvious ones, Alexander, Hannibal etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
        Is it supposed to be mulitple choice?

And where is Jim Gavin? I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't rate the top 100....
        Yes. Says so in my opening post.

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
          Yes. Says so in my opening post.

Dr. S.
          Sorry, I missed it. I followed a link and I'm speed reading between classes....
          Last edited by Paul Mann III; 01 Feb 08, 14:02.
          "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I choose the founding father of my family and the man who stopped Roman Expansion: Arminius (whose Germanic name, Hermann, is the father of the Harmon name and bloodline.)

The Conquerer of Gual and winner of immposible victories: Gaius Julius

The destroyed of the Persian Empire: Alexander the Great

The man who stopped the Crusades in thier tracks: Saladin

The man who destroyed more Roman armies then any other: Hannibal

The man who destroyed Hannibal and Hasdrubal, destroying Carthage as a military force: Scipio Africanus
            History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

This one is a little harder than just picking one guy over the other, but its a great concept. Thanks for putting this on ACG!

Paul,
              What degree are you working on?

Comment

Who would stop Hannibal from destroying Rome? That would be Scipio Africanus!
                "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

Voted for Philip II over Alexander. He built that fantastic army, Alexander only used it. Scipio, Tamerlane, Charlemagne and Ghengis round out the top 5 here.
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

The poll said choose so I did and then found out it was suppoosed to be multiple choice. I suspect the results will be a bit skewed because I'm not the only who only chose one /poll.

Comment

the following five stick out for me in this poll,..

Alexander.

Saladin.

Scipio Africanus.

Genghis Khan.

and lastly, Hannibal.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Brigade View Post
                        The man who stopped the Crusades in thier tracks: Saladin
                        Tell that to Richard the Lion Heart who defeated Saladin EVERY time.
                        Strangely enough it seems that struck up some kind of 'friendship'.
                        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

I misreadthe part where it said you can vote up to five names and thought the 5 top names would go one. So my ONE pick for this round is Alexander.
                          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Watch out for Lionhearted "friendships"!

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                            Tell that to Richard the Lion Heart who defeated Saladin EVERY time.
                            Strangely enough it seems that struck up some kind of 'friendship'.
                            If Richard was so fond of Saladin, why did he offer his sister to him in marriage? His sister had come along with some "friends" and they thoroughly scandalized the more religious of the Crusaders. I vaguely recall an instance where the "ladies" showed up topless!

So Saladin offered Lion Heart a magnificent Arabian Mare at a truce and Richard offers him his sister? I hear Richard really liked that horse. Since his sister inherited more than a little of Eleanor of Aquitaine's personality and mores, I bet he liked the horse better than his sister...

I think the local culture also caught Richard's attention. The locals locked away their women and sometimes were seen strolling around hand in hand (men). Since Richard left his favorite minstrel behind, he was probably a bit lonely as well. The Crusaders did not get along too well at times, either.

Enough about Lion Heart, I prefer English Kings that spent a little time in England.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

My top 5:

Alexander the Great
                              Hannibal
                              Scipio Africanus
                              Julius Caesar
                              Genghis Khan
                              My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X