100 Greatest Generals! [Begins Feb. 1, 2008]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
    Fair enough, let me look for a few sources. Unfortunately, most of my books are at home and everything will have to come off the internet.

http://www.stratfordhall.org/rel.html?HISTORY

http://www.answers.com/topic/robert-e-lee#copyright

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-4122/Robert-E-Lee

Its a little weak as its all from a 2 year period, but he did spend the greatest part of his career in a peace time capacity.
    Ok, but what You want to prove by these links?
    I know who Lee was. His greatnes is non discusion, but as a commander non a horseback...what??? Jokey?
    Regards
    - Your Highness, the enemy is so numerous... they outnumber your army.
    - My friend, first I beat 'em then I'll count 'em
    (Polish King Jan III Sobieski during his campaigns)

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Ok, but what You want to prove by these links?
      I know who Lee was. His greatnes is non discusion, but as a commander non a horseback...what??? Jokey?
      Regards
      You questioned his credentials on horseback. I provided links in response, though admitted them a tad weak. Don't really see anything else to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
        You questioned his credentials on horseback.
        Where?

I just couriuos what "Best on horsebck" mean, and why Lee is here.
        See next position - "Best on "Tankback"". It mean the best "tank driver" or "armoured formations commander"?
        I think Lee was a great leader, probably the best in his epoch, but not in this category. There were many more and greatest cavalry generals, in my oppinion.
        I wonder those critery. Let's wait till 22'th, and we will see what horseback mean.
        Regards

Comment

Can't wait for this.....go Mannerheim!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Where?

I just couriuos what "Best on horsebck" mean, and why Lee is here.
            See next position - "Best on "Tankback"". It mean the best "tank driver" or "armoured formations commander"?
            I think Lee was a great leader, probably the best in his epoch, but not in this category. There were many more and greatest cavalry generals, in my oppinion.
            I wonder those critery. Let's wait till 22'th, and we will see what horseback mean.
            Regards
            Sorry about that. I have been ill and one would think it would make me more docile. Apparently, I have been on a tear. This is my second apology. Will make a note to the chill the heck out!

Comment

Sounds great!
              I have yet to earn a ribbon because I could not participate in the last two offensives.
              "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

You're not alone in bein' out of ribbons but there's other ways to get ribbons you know. I expect to have a ribbon in 6 weeks time just by participating in the German groupbuild in the modellin' forum.
                The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
                ----
                We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Sounds really interesting. I'm down with a cold but maybe I'll drag myself out for a coffee and pick up a copy.
                  AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                  The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

What abour Alexander Suvorov?

Dear ACG,
                    I just read the latest issue with the article about the 100 greatest generals in history. I guess the trouble with any list is someone is bound to be left out. In my view, just such a person who deserves to be among the top 100 is Alexander V. Suvorov, (1729-1800), Field Marshal of Russia. He was highly regarded as a military genius of his day and certainly rivaled Napoleon (beating several of his generals), until his death in 1800. Suvorov wrote his "Science of Victory" for both officers and enlisted troops (unheard of at the time). He fought against Turks, Poles, Austrians, Italians, Swiss & French & beat them all. His masterful fighting withdrawal through the Swiss Alpine passes against overwheming odds matches Hannibal's feat.

Comment

Armor Clad generals.....Horse Driven Generals........Generals with Swords........Generals onboard.....It all sound fun to me!!!
                      The free world knows, out of the bitter wisdom of experience, that vigilance and sacrifice are the price of liberty.
                      Dwight D. Eisenhower
                      April 16, 1953

Comment

Finally got my hands on the issue today! Can't wait to read it.
                        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                          Admirals=Generals. Self explanatory, I thought.
                          Not really. Naval command is arguably a totally different paradigm to that on land, Napoleon being an obvious example of a brilliant land commander who failed utterly to appreciate the differences in naval command, and in any case you could easily draw up a list of 100 best admirals/naval commanders.
                          Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

The term "General" is being used in the broadest way. For example Geronimo wasn't a "General" and some of the ancient commanders didn't use that exact title either.

We are loosely using the term "General" to mean "Senior Military Commander"...but "General" fits on the cover better.

I think most people get the concept so we were not too worried about the semantics of it all.
                            Publisher
                            Armchair General Magazine
                            Weider History Group

Comment

I STILL protest the exlusion of Richard the Lion Heart.
                              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

I did't read it yet, so I ask You gentelman. Is there my signature patron?

Comment

Working...
                                X