Propaganda or stupidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propaganda or stupidity

You know, we could forgive the idiocy of Nazi propaganda speaking of victories right up until the Bunker was taken. That was a time of radio and the effects of propaganda were indeed strong.

Today however, I can't help but laugh at the statements coming out of Baghdad and I can't fathom who they are kidding in saying them. Just today, as coalition troops are on the edge of town we get this report from the Info Minister;

At a news conference, Sahhaf disputed coalition claims of battle successes. "All this is to cover their disappointment and inability," he said.

"They are not even 100 miles (away from Baghdad). They are not anywhere. They are like a snake moving in the desert. They have no foothold in Iraq. ... They do not even control Umm Qasr," the information minister said, referring to the southern port city held by British forces.

Is he getting glowing reports from field commanders, who, afraid to be shot for losing the war, are passing along only lies of victories for the Iraqi troops? Or, more sadly, does he somehow believe these delusional statements because he wants to believe them? Perhaps his family is being held hostage and kept alive only by him reporting glowing battlefield accounts? Even so, it is laughable how poor their propaganda has become.

Very interesting study to be done on this side of the war.
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

I think the info minister is the CIA source inside the regime

Comment

Shaking my head....

Hello,

Couldn't have these Iraqi officials give a briefing in an orderly manner and display the glowing professionalism of military for the public?

Why is it every time an Iraqi complete the briefing with fits of anger and negative comments about the US in general? It's like trying to imagine General Brooks, who is a one-star general, finishing up his briefing with a few coments like, "I think Iraqis are bastards, and I think they are nothing but animals fighting to get out of the cage we've put them in..."

But no, Brooks did it somehow professionally, "...these Iraqis are disregarding the lives of innocent people, and using terrorist tactics..." things like that, keeping it a bit more neutral.

I am wonder, did these Iraqis or ANY Arabs ever have a sort of Western-training public relations skill? I usually find these kind of pundits and officials lacking such skills anywhere in the world. Had these officials acted in reasonable manners, then some of it might be more believable.

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

What do you expect them to say?

"we're getting our ass whupped all over the place, great stuff guys!"

I dont think they are too happy with the Americans at the moment somehow, so again, it does not suprise me to see vindictive statements....
        Besides, its a whole different culture over there, thats how things are done/said

Having lived in Israel for 20 odd months, it did open my eyes a lot on how completely different cultures express themselves.
        There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that dont...

Comment

I've just seen this news conference given by the Iraqi Propaganda Minister Sahhaf. It struck me as odd somehow that, although he still sported his lopsided grin he had a nervous itch of his left eye. Has anyone else noticed that? (I wonder if that means anything? )

Comment

Originally posted by Fishotter
            I've just seen this news conference given by the Iraqi Propaganda Minister Sahhaf. It struck me as odd somehow that, although he still sported his lopsided grin he had a nervous itch of his left eye. Has anyone else noticed that? (I wonder if that means anything? )
            LOL, he probably said something like "those aren't US tanks at the Bagdhad airport, those are glorious new decoy units your savior Saddam has created to trick the western devil media into believing they are in our invincible city!" (c) by me, in case he tries to steal my idea

Comment

I saw this guy, he seemed like he was telling the truth. Makes it hard to tell when someone is telling the truth or lying.
              "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

One thing that was especially hilarious was the claim that Iraq "shot down"several hundred cruise missiles.

Also, there was a report that most of the microphones in front of him when he speaks are not even plugged in. They are just taped to the podium for show. lol
                "Speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European as well, it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated Europeans. They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and ignorant and so on. And they've taken as their own Michael Moore, as their representative American, someone who actually embodies all of those qualities." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Re: Shaking my head....

Originally posted by Cheetah772

Why is it every time an Iraqi complete the briefing with fits of anger and negative comments about the US in general?
                  Well, I think this is certainly linked to the fact that they know they are losing the war and that the enemy is about the enter their capital. Brooks can certainly behave like the professional and cold-headed military officer: he knows he is winning the war. No need to put out a freak show.

Think about it Cheetah: if an enemy would be encircling and hammering Washington and would be about to enter it anytime soon, I am quite sure General Brooks would lose its self-confidence and cool, wouldn't he? We would probably see desperate military officers in press conference trying to put out an extreme patriotic freak show to encourage citizens to a last stand. This is what Iraq is doing of course.

It is pathetic, as pathetic as any nation becomes in such situations.

Comment

Re: Re: Shaking my head....

Originally posted by Tzar

It is pathetic, as pathetic as any nation becomes in such situations.
                    Makes me wonder if during WW2 you heard such desperate broadcasts coming from Paris?

"Uh yeah, it is just silly to suggest German panzers are doing laps around the Eiffel tower! In fact they are nowhere in our territory. It is merely a staged show for the German populace at home. Thank you, carry on. PS - moving to Vichy!"

Comment

Reminds you of Hitler's "Phantom Division" in 1945. They existed and he was giving orders...they just didn't contain any men anymore.

Comment

Many have already seen this...but it fits well in this thread.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X