Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iraqis now mounting counterattacks...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Iraqis now mounting counterattacks...

    Hello everybody,

    Recently, I just read the latest news claiming that the Iraqis are now mounting a major counterattack with more than 1,000 vehicles in a convoy on way to south of Baghdad, engaging the US Marines. The Iraqis come from the elite Republican divisions, so that's something to be concerned given the US Marines are lightly armed, and have only a few heavy units in close support.

    I suspect the Iraqis are attempting to push back the US Marines, and creating a logistical nightmare for the Coalition. The Iraqis had to realize they couldn't defeat the Coalition in a set-piece battle, but what they are doing is to drag this war out indefinitely and hoping that the US public will in time become the Coalition's worst enemy.

    Given the resources at Iraqis' disposal, that's what I would have done. At least the Iraqis would taken advantage of sandstorms and heat to slow down the Coalition troops. If that's the case, then we could be in for a long haul...

    Or else we're about to witness the biggest battle of 21st century...something that's gonna cost a lot of lives. Hopefully this can be avoided at all cost for both sides...

    I am deeply concerned, but my support for the US troops is very strong and still believe that we are doing the right thing.

    Best regards,
    Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

    "Aim small, miss small."

  • #2
    Re: Iraqis now mounting counterattacks...

    Originally posted by Cheetah772
    Hello everybody,

    Recently, I just read the latest news claiming that the Iraqis are now mounting a major counterattack with more than 1,000 vehicles in a convoy on way to south of Baghdad, engaging the US Marines. The Iraqis come from the elite Republican divisions, so that's something to be concerned given the US Marines are lightly armed, and have only a few heavy units in close support.

    I suspect the Iraqis are attempting to push back the US Marines, and creating a logistical nightmare for the Coalition. The Iraqis had to realize they couldn't defeat the Coalition in a set-piece battle, but what they are doing is to drag this war out indefinitely and hoping that the US public will in time become the Coalition's worst enemy.

    Given the resources at Iraqis' disposal, that's what I would have done. At least the Iraqis would taken advantage of sandstorms and heat to slow down the Coalition troops. If that's the case, then we could be in for a long haul...

    Or else we're about to witness the biggest battle of 21st century...something that's gonna cost a lot of lives. Hopefully this can be avoided at all cost for both sides...

    I am deeply concerned, but my support for the US troops is very strong and still believe that we are doing the right thing.

    Best regards,
    Dan
    The UK and their allies the US will win through Dan. Don't be too worried. The Iraqi's will be mincemeat, they have already demonstrated their will to fight - unfortunately for them it is usually to the death and for no great gain.

    UP THE COALITION _ DOWN WITH SADDAM




    Comment


    • #3
      Isn't this what we want them to do? I would think that Gen. Franks would be asking for some tissue after hearing this news, not to mention another pair of pants.

      Comment


      • #4
        They're attacking in the midst of a huge sandstorm which will negate much of our technological, and training, advantages. It is on terrain, and in an environment, of which they are more intimately familiar. These types of battle favor those with superior numbers. I fear this battle will not be the cakewalk that so many are optimistically hoping for.
        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

        Comment


        • #5
          My bet is that they are reinforcing Al Kut in the face of the 1st MEF advance rather than counter-attacking.

          Comment


          • #6
            Surely it's better to get them out in the open, than to try and winkle them out of a city?
            "Teamwork is essential - it gives the Enemy someone else to shoot at"

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Re: Iraqis now mounting counterattacks...

              Originally posted by Marko


              The UK and their allies the US will win through Dan. Don't be too worried. The Iraqi's will be mincemeat, they have already demonstrated their will to fight - unfortunately for them it is usually to the death and for no great gain.

              UP THE COALITION _ DOWN WITH SADDAM




              Will the pod-people please give us back the real Marko.

              Comment


              • #8
                I can't believe they would take such a risk. We want them to fight us in the desert. I believe we still have the tactical advantage. The weather isn't so bad we can't fly our helicopters. We obviously saw them rolling out. And there are reports the weather was not as bad as yesterday.

                The Iraqi military have a timing problem. They are likely mounting this attack based on outdated weather conditions. I predict a Coalition victory. I relly don't think they know the British 1st AD is out there. I REALLY DON'T. Man will they get a surprise.
                "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

                Comment


                • #9
                  Visibility is increasing, Our equipment has thermal igamining gear to hit the vechiles, Some of our airpower can operate now. Fierce battle wfor sure but a little too late for the iraqis. 12 hours ago might have been another story.

                  _Tim
                  "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If the Iraqis are foolish enough to go head-to-head with American forces, let them do it. That's just what Central Command is waiting for.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It seems that it's not a counterattack. The Iraqis are repositioning forces in the south. Yet, it's still in the open where we can attack them without concern for civilian casualties.

                      The US appears to be preparing to open the Northern Front now. The 173rd Airborne Brigade dropped seized a critical airbase. Now the US is set to airlift in forces. There has been a rumor for sometime that 2nd ACR-L is going to deploy.
                      "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yup

                        Hello Deltapooh,

                        Yup, it looks like the Republican Guard units are merely repositioning themselves in preparation for a major onslaught by the elements of 7th Cavalry of 3rd ID division.

                        But, another breaking news came out, in Basra, a column of 70 or more Iraqi armored vehicles are attempting to break out, but have been caught in crossfire by the British artillery and tanks.

                        But the question remains, were they the soft targets or a real tank column coming out to counterattack the British attacks?

                        Since I have no TV in my dorm room, I suspect a major battle is already underway, can anybody confirm this?

                        I don't like CNN, but I do occasionally watch the CNN news online, but the problem is that the CNN tends to repeat the same information all the time, which is really annoying to say at least.

                        I usually subscribe to worldnetdaily.com and globalsecurity.org

                        Dan
                        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

                        "Aim small, miss small."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think an Iraqi counter offensive would be a huge tactical error on their part. They would be destroyed out in the open especially now that the sandstorm is almost over. It would be great news for the U.S. and U.K. if Iraq decided to move significant numbers their republican guard forces from Baghdad to the open desert.
                          "Speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European as well, it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated Europeans. They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and ignorant and so on. And they've taken as their own Michael Moore, as their representative American, someone who actually embodies all of those qualities." - Christopher Hitchens

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Will Saddam ever understand?

                            Originally posted by kid kool
                            I think an Iraqi counter offensive would be a huge tactical error on their part. They would be destroyed out in the open especially now that the sandstorm is almost over. It would be great news for the U.S. and U.K. if Iraq decided to move significant numbers their republican guard forces from Baghdad to the open desert.
                            Hello kid kool,

                            Will Saddam ever understand the magntitude of his mistake?

                            I recall how Saddam actually viewed himself as the Mother of All Battles before the start of Persian Gulf War I. He must have thought the only real tactics employed were the human waves and some minimial outflanking maneuvers.

                            I'm not sure what Saddam is thinking right now, I guess, Saddam is thinking, "Let's attack the US forces, because the public and politicians have shown no stomach for growing casualties. We might lose the battle, but if we can kill a lot of these guys, then we could sue for peace without losing my face. Or to destroy the US supply lines south of Baghdad, let's make it hard for them to attack Baghdad with one hand tied behind."

                            If this were true, then unfortunately for him, he is tragically mistaken if he thinks we don't have the will to finish this once for all....

                            Onward to Baghdad!

                            Dan
                            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

                            "Aim small, miss small."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kid kool
                              I think an Iraqi counter offensive would be a huge tactical error on their part.
                              Stop right there...say no more. "Huge tactical error" is Iraqi-speak for, "Hey, lets do it!"
                              :laola:

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X