Senior Iraqi al-Qaeda leaders killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Iraqi al-Qaeda leaders killed

Odds that these guys were fingered by the locals? Pretty good.

Mr Maliki said on national TV that the Iraqi al-Qaeda leader Abu Ayyub al-Masri and Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, who led an affiliate group, were dead.
    The US military later confirmed the two had been killed by Iraqi forces.
    Mr Maliki said both had been killed in Thar-Thar, Salaheddin province, west of Baghdad, by Iraqi agents with US help.
    Iraqi TV showed pictures of both men before and after their deaths.
    More from the BBC > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8630213.stm
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post

[email protected] fine work that!
    Later - Tater
    "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Odds that these guys were fingered by the locals?
      It makes sense if they were. If you had a psycho serial killer living up the road and for the first time in a long time you knew you could make a phone call and get him arrested/taken out wouldn't you?

For the first time in a long time the average Iraqi has a little faith in the system and they are sick and tired of the nutters who want to drag them back into the stone age.

Bully for them and I hope they can keep it going.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Good riddance to the bastards and nice work on the Iraqis.
        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

"It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood, a wonderful day for killing pricks!"

D1
          "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
          - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

This would make , what the 5th and 3rd announcements (respectively) of their demise?

Somebody's got to get lucky sometime. He's had a good run, three years and change since the al-Baghdadi took over from the last dead Emir.

Comment

Iraqis are for the most part pretty fed up with insurgents coming into their country. The Al Queda group has worn out their welcome a long time ago. The only places they exist now is where they can afford to make bribes for silence.
              "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Just to confirm, didn't AQ used to be non grata in iraq under Saddam?
                "We have no white flag."

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
                  Just to confirm, didn't AQ used to be non grata in iraq under Saddam?
                  Under Saddam's pervasive security system, AQ was not viewed as a threat while they viewed Saddam as apostate and a legitimate target. There is evidence that AQ had dealings with Iraqi intelligence but exactly who was using who is still debated. They had the common goal of blowing up Americans and alliances have been based on less.

Comment

Third Iraqi al-Qaeda leader killed: Iraqi military

Ahmed al-Obeidi died in an operation in the northern province of Nineveh, Iraqi military spokesman Maj Gen Qassim al-Moussawi said.
                    The news comes the day after the government announced two leading insurgents had been killed.
                    more from the BBC > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8632239.stm

Comment

Yes, but were AQ allowed to operate inside Iraq?
                      "We have no white flag."

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
                        Yes, but were AQ allowed to operate inside Iraq?
                        Some did pass through Iraq IIRC. I believe some also had Iraqi passports. What they did while they there is where the arguments start. Several members discussed this at length a few years ago. Perhaps one or more will drop by later to add their comments.

Comment

usually when they say "iraqi's took them down" it means a bunch of American SOF and the token take along iraqi his britches.
                          Last edited by GCoyote; 20 Apr 10, 12:15.

Comment

Not odd at all Bro; those kill many more civilians than our folks do; probably because they do it on purpose, although it seems like the media never pays attention to that.
                            Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                            Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Some did pass through Iraq IIRC. I believe some also had Iraqi passports. What they did while they there is where the arguments start. Several members discussed this at length a few years ago. Perhaps one or more will drop by later to add their comments.

I think AQ agents pass through different countries, but from what I know, the AQ weren't welcome in Iraq under Saddam who sees them (rightly) as a threat. Now this doesn't mean there wasn't collusion between them, just that he likes to keep them at a distance (if what I heard is true).

Thanks GCoyote.
                              "We have no white flag."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X