Lack Of good news from Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack Of good news from Iraq

Lately it seems that there is a lack of good news from Iraq. You do not hear any thing about the good things. All you hear is that some peaple got killed buy a road side mine. I just wish the press whould do more storeys about the good we are doing over in a Iraq.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice" - Sidney Freedman

Yeah....like cleaning up after "some peaple got killed buy a road side mine."

:thumb:

Comment

Well there are two theories on why you don't.

The vast majority here would probably like to say it's because of the vast and horrible liberal bias in the media.

I'd argue it's economics. A story about opening a new school in Iraq isn't going to draw attention. Ever notice how they regulate the human interest stories to the little odd moments? News from Iraq is reported the same as local news. Death, destruction, and action first, and then if we have some time we'll throw some feel good story in.
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

The good news is -

this lady medic treated this Iraqi detainee

who was wounded

after he was mauled by this dog

_______
        Recompense injury with justice, and recompense kindness with kindness.
        -Confucius
        I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
        -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

It depends on where you are looking for your news. The latest that I heard was that it was a good week in the middle east because we are finding Saddam's WMD delivery vehicles in scrap metal that was sold to various neighboring countries.

Our ground troops in Afghanistan are making good progress and Pakistan is making a real concerted effort to go after terrorists in their country. I'm sure that one reason why you haven't heard much good news is because of Reagan's funeral and of course the Lib media.

To me this is pretty good news...

Brad
          "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."- Ronald Reagan at the D-Day Anniversary

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7/fe0df62e.jpg

Comment

Re: Lack Of good news from Iraq

Originally posted by craig_c
            Lately it seems that there is a lack of good news from Iraq. You do not hear any thing about the good things. All you hear is that some peaple got killed buy a road side mine. I just wish the press whould do more storeys about the good we are doing over in a Iraq.
            The lack is in the reporting, not in the occurrence. The generally knee-jerk liberal media report stories that fit their politicla agenda, and the success of our forces and the Iraqis are not a part of their agenda. To get a more balanced perception, you must dig.
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

I think Fox News did it right when they had troops talking about the sucesses in Iraq . It gives a totally different picture of what really goes on.You won't get that perspective on ABC ,NBC , or even CNN(clinton news network). What was said earlier , Its not on the liberal medias' agenda. The only people who really know what goes on are those troops on the ground.

Comment

I'm telling you people, it's not politics, not at the heart at least.

Welcome to the real world: It's $$$$$
                “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by flatfoot2
                  I think Fox News did it right when they had troops talking about the sucesses in Iraq . It gives a totally different picture of what really goes on.You won't get that perspective on ABC ,NBC , or even CNN(clinton news network). What was said earlier , Its not on the liberal medias' agenda. The only people who really know what goes on are those troops on the ground.
                  Fox is the only network that asks the question: Can you get up in the morning and NOT assume that the United States is wrong? If they can’t answer yes they don’t get hired.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

I'm not saying that Fox news is always right, but there is definitly a different perspective.

Comment

I'd have to say the fox news interview is really:

"Can you get up in the morning and assume that the United States is always right?" :P

And why do they seem rather conservative: Because it's a market they can tap and make money on.

*gasp* That's right! These are businesses and businesses are profit maximizers!

Comment

Exactly why R. Murdoch is now richer than T. Turner. :P

______
                        Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
                        -Abraham Lincoln
                        I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
                        -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

Well, that and quality programming such as American Idol and the Bachelor...

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer

I'm telling you people, it's not politics, not at the heart at least.

Welcome to the real world: It's $$$$$
                            What is it then? Your "economics" theory, if you'll pardon my bluntness, is sheer lunacy, and utterly indefensible.
                            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

What is it then? Your "economics" theory, if you'll pardon my bluntness, is sheer lunacy, and utterly indefensible.
                              Funny, I was thinking that the assessment that it's simply the reporters and CEO all having a bias and wanting to put it in the news is a little simplistic and convenient. What you have to remember is that in the real world things tend to interact with each other, and lots of different factors join in to create results.

Why would a news agency exist if the people weren't interested in the news they showed? If there was an alternative that people preferred they'd watch that.

However, there's no feel-good-patriotic-news-station because your average person would get bored and flip it off. The average person wants to hear something interesting. All the better if it promotes the reporter's bias.

If the news agencies were so biased, I'm pretty sure I would turn on the news and watch story after story of how some shelter in the inner city is helping hundreds of people, and how it was paid for by a democratic plan.

Instead I turn on the news and see that some guy robbed a convenience store in Philly. Quick, let's play the exciting security camera footage. Oooohh, now the viewers are all excited and angered.

Guess which news is going to win if they go face to face, the one always showing the cute human interest stories and focusing on them, or the one showing all the bad stuff that happens.

There are three factors that I can think of off of the top of my head that have made the media the way it is.

1) Culture - the US culture thrives off this crap. As a whole they like to watch bad things happen, just look at the shows and movies that they watch. I'm not saying it's everyone, but as a whole, the demand is for the exciting, the sensationalistic, etc.

2) Economics - companies meet said demand

3) Politics - some decide to advance their personal politics in the framework provided by the supply and the demand.

But I guess none of this is defensible and is sheer lunacy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X