Iraq, Where to from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq, Where to from here?

With the job of occupying and pacifying Iraq becoming an increasingly difficult proposition how do you think this situation will turn out? How will the US military and the Bush (potentially Kerry?) administration deal with the quickly unraveling plans.

Some points of interest: UN sponsered Iraqi government with veto power over US military operations.

Troop deployments, extentions of tours of duty and the strain on the soldiers.

The use of former Ba'athist Party members to prop up iterim government.

The discreditation of Ahmed Chalabi and potential political fallout.
    "War is the extension of politics by other means." - "On War" Carl Von Clauswitz

Re: Iraq, Where to from here?

Originally posted by Xenophon
    With the job of occupying and pacifying Iraq becoming an increasingly difficult proposition how do you think this situation will turn out? How will the US military and the Bush (potentially Kerry?) administration deal with the quickly unraveling plans.

Some points of interest: UN sponsered Iraqi government with veto power over US military operations.

Why does everyone think that its still bad in Iraq, I think we are doing well theres been a real drop in vilence, and the transfer ofpower is going off fine. Of course the terrorests are going to keep attacking a free Iraq is there death Nail. 800 to 900 GIs dieded more US troops died in the first day of Operation overloard then in the whole war so far:bang: god maybe the Terrorests are right that modern Americans cant handle taking casuallties and will just run away If Kerrys elected thats what will happen just like what Clinten did all through the 90's and it didnt work, No we
    need to fight them over there not over here. Say what you want about Bush atleast he has a vision or Idea of what to do about Iraq, I have yet to here anything from Kerry about what he would do other than go to the UN which is worthless what the hell can France or Germanys do?

Comment

This situation is not remotely akin to WW II, Afghanistan was the right move Iraq was not, unfortunately we're stuck with it.
      Personally I'd pull out and let the chips fall where they may, as it is Iraq won't be a threat for decades. This way no more US troops need die, let Iraqi troops die instead.
      OOPS!!! Sorry if we did that Haliburton would lose all those juicy government contracts, which of course are paid for out of our pockets. I don't think Iraq is worth $1 US or 1 US life.
      And what about gas prices we take all that oil so the price goes up, talk about price gouging, I hope Georgie likes his new Rolls.

Comment

Re: Re: Iraq, Where to from here?

Originally posted by foster
        Why does everyone think that its still bad in Iraq, I think we are doing well theres been a real drop in vilence, and the transfer ofpower is going off fine. Of course the terrorests are going to keep attacking a free Iraq is there death Nail. 800 to 900 GIs dieded more US troops died in the first day of Operation overloard then in the whole war so far:bang: god maybe the Terrorests are right that modern Americans cant handle taking casuallties and will just run away If Kerrys elected thats what will happen just like what Clinten did all through the 90's and it didnt work, No we
        need to fight them over there not over here. Say what you want about Bush atleast he has a vision or Idea of what to do about Iraq, I have yet to here anything from Kerry about what he would do other than go to the UN which is worthless what the hell can France or Germanys do?

You're 23, not 5, stop that. I had to read it twice.

As much as people complain about the situation, it happened. We can't stop it. If you want to try, run for President, and good luck!

Comment

I don't agree with having gone there, but now that we're there it is our responsibility to stay until things are more stable.
          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by paul mullin
            Personally I'd pull out and let the chips fall where they may...
            Yeah, and you'd get another Afghanistan in return - a quaint little training area for terrorists with a government that supports them. Wouldn't that be nice?
            Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Kerry just like Bush has no plan for Iraq. Kerry already stated that U.S. troops would remain as long as need be. Hell I'm slated to go back in September.

One thing I noticed is the global intelligence data (From CNN and Fox News) stating that Al-Qaeda wants to effect the elections outcome through terrorist activities i.e. getting Bush out of office and Kerry in. Now I'm no bush fan so to speak but if they want him gone that means he must be doing something right to really hurt and hinder thier operations. Just something to think about.

Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Marines
                Kerry just like Bush has no plan for Iraq.
                I’m not sure why people continue to say this. Do folks just not want to admit the truth? Or are people truly ignorant of the situation? Anyhow, President Bush set out the "five steps" in the recent address to the nation: the transfer of authority to a sovereign interim Iraqi government; the spread of security throughout the country; the reconstruction of Iraq's infrastructure; a diplomatic push to gather more international support for the effort; and the move toward national elections no later than January 2005.

Granted, he didn’t go into extreme detail (individual units involved, specific operations to be undertaken) but that’s not really what the address was for. The bottom line is this – there is a plan, and so far we are actually on schedule… contrary to popular belief.

Comment

Or maybe it's a princess bride type game.

We think they want him out.

But maybe they want us to think that they want him out so that we keep him in.

But we know this so we can get him out because we think that they want us to think that they want him out so that we'll get him out when they really want him in..

Or maybe...
                  “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
                    Or maybe it's a princess bride type game.

We think they want him out.

But maybe they want us to think that they want him out so that we keep him in.

But we know this so we can get him out because we think that they want us to think that they want him out so that we'll get him out when they really want him in..

Or maybe...
                    Inconceivable!

Comment

All we need now is a big rodent.

Comment

::just imagines the terrorists sitting in caves thinking up that one!::

Comment

They are not sitting some cave my friend they are sitting in houses and apartments next door to us.

Perhaps I was to vague. Bush and his staff have a plan but its up there with Kerrys so to speak.

Semper Fi

Comment

Nah, the people next door to me tend to just have long parties get drunk and leave their front door open all night while they're passed out asleep.

Comment

Re: Iraq, Where to from here?

Originally posted by Xenophon
                              What's unravelling? Nothing here is "increasingly difficult" except getting the press to tell the truth about Iraq. We whipped Fallujah last month and how US Marines patrol the streets there at will. Yesterday Sadr agreed to a cease fire and withdrawal of his forces in Najaf. I'm not saying these places won't flare up again -- it's impossible to guarantee that -- but I can guarantee that these problems will face a hot response by coalition forces and will not succeed.
                              You're getting the cart before the horse. The Prime Minister just submitted his request to the UN yesterday for coalition forces to remain in Iraq. There is no agreement yet on what control the government of Iraq will have over US forces, but so far there has been no discussion -- ZIPPO -- of Iraq having "veto power" over US operations.
                              Life isn't pleasant here, but I feel fine. No poor morale on my patch. We're motivated and ready.
                              Gosh -- wonder where they got that idea? From Patton? Keep in mind that everyone here -- including elementary school teachers -- was in the Ba'ath Party.
                              I'm waiting to see how that one turns out.

JS
                              Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                              Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                              http://www.mormon.org
                              http://www.sca.org
                              http://www.scv.org/
                              http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X