Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq Prisoner Images Anger Arabs, Bush

By NADIA ABOU EL-MAGD, Associated Press Writer

CAIRO, Egypt - Arab outrage flashed across the Middle East on Friday as TV stations showed graphic images of naked Iraqi prisoners being humiliated by smiling U.S. military police. President Bush condemned the mistreatment, saying he shared "a deep disgust that those prisoners were treated the way they were treated."

The Arab TV stations led news bulletins with the photos of hooded prisoners piled on top of each other in a human pyramid and simulating sex acts, with their genitals blurred. Two U.S. soldiers standing near the prisoners hammed it up for the camera.

At the White House, Bush said the mistreatment of prisoners "does not reflect the nature of the American people. That's not the way we do things in America. I didn't like it one bit."

But many in the Middle East saw the mistreatment as the latest example of American disregard for Arabs.

"They were ugly images. Is this the way the Americans treat prisoners?" asked Ahmad Taher, 24, a student at Baghdad's Mustansiriyah University. "Americans claim that they respect freedom and democracy but only in their country."

Last month, the U.S. Army announced that six members of the 800th Military Police Brigade faced court martial for allegedly abusing about 20 prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad. The charges included dereliction of duty, cruelty and maltreatment, assault and indecent acts with another person.

Their boss, Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, commander of the 800th Military Police Brigade, and at least seven others have been "suspended" from their duties at Abu Ghraib prison.

In Baghdad, military spokesman Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt said the commander of the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detention facility, Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Miller, was being sent to Iraq (news - web sites) to take over the coalition detention facilities.

Kimmitt said the Army is taking "very aggressive steps" to minimize the chances of such acts happening again, and "we are also taking a hard look at interrogation practices."

The photos, taken last year, were inflammatory in an Arab world already angry at the U.S. occupation of Iraq. Arabs consider public nudity dishonorable.

"I was disgusted and angered by those humiliating pictures," Egyptian insurance agent Omar Boghdady said. "The scenes were really ugly."

One of the photos showed a hooded prisoner standing on a box with wires attached to his hands. CBS reported the prisoner was told that if he fell off the box, he would be electrocuted, although the wires were not really connected to a power supply.

Bathsheba Crocker, an expert on Iraqi reconstruction at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, said the images are likely to "fuel the feeling of anti-American, anti-occupation sentiment among Iraqis."

"It doesn't help a situation in which the United States is already viewed very badly. From a public relations perspective, it is yet another image for Arabs to add to pictures of civilians being killed in Fallujah," she said.
    Rest of story:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...prisoner_abuse

---------------------------
    These US prison guards do have a sick sense of humor.
    What do you think is the most appropriate punishment for these 7 misfits given the great damage they had caused to the US image as a supposedly benevolent occupying force? :nonono:
    I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
    -Lou Chiafullo

And the Brits are into this mess too.

URINATED ON: A British soldier urinates on an Iraqi prisoner in a vile display of abuse. The captive was beaten and hurled from a moving truck.

BUTT IN GROIN: A rifle is cruelly jabbed in the young man's groin as his eight-hour nightmare goes on.
    I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
    -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

If the Arabs are pissed, they ain't seen nothing yet. Time or MSNBC published a interview with Gen Karpinsky in which she did everything but take responsibility for her Brigade. Well her head is on the damn block... Every trooper, NCO, Officer, and civilian that particpated, instigated, or had knowledge of this should at a minimum receive a Special Court Martial and DD with a Federal Felony convinction. Fort Leavenworth may be short on space but I don't give a ****. Civilians should be prosecuted in any forum available.

The 800th MP Bde should be stricken from the rolls of the Army, its colors cased and burned. The remaining troops should be then spilt up among other units.

This has me a little pissed off....

Comment

But most probably only the E ratings will get the punishment. The O's will almost surely find means to evade this mess.
        -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

Originally posted by RetPara

The 800th MP Bde should be stricken from the rolls of the Army, its colors cased and burned. The remaining troops should be then spilt up among other units.

This has me a little pissed off....
          This very scenario occured to the Canadian Airborne Regiment after a prisoner was tortured and murdered in Somalia.

The whole incident left a bad taste in many people's mouths; especially since the only person to have ever served prison time for it was the private who first broke news of it.:crazy:
          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Geeky Nerd
            [B]And the Brits are into this mess too.

URINATED ON: A British soldier urinates on an Iraqi prisoner in a vile display of abuse. The captive was beaten and hurled from a moving truck.

BUTT IN GROIN: A rifle is cruelly jabbed in the young man's groin as his eight-hour nightmare goes

Not much can be said here - the photos and and video say it all, The mind boggles at what these troops (US and British) had in mindwhen they set out to inflict this ritualized abuse.

Did they think of the fall-out, the consequences? I can't imagine that they truly thought they would get away with it. Following that, I do not if or how they thought they would escape punishment.

In the final analysis, the damage to our crdibility and national standing are inestimable. Certainly the various terrorists and extremists have a ready list of volunteers, most or all willing to "bocome a martyr for Allah" The majority of Arab/Islamic nations have perhaps their worst opinion of us than they ever had - and who can blame them? No doubt several coalltion members, NATO Allies, and other non-involved nations would like an explanation.What can we tell the

For my knowledge, six soldier are in custody, withn possibly 2 to 8 under investigation. As well, seven officers also are invesitigated. The possbiltiies are well-know, it remains for the legal process to wind its way. Stay tuned. . .
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Nerd- the O Zone ain't going to be able to hide from this one.

The BG in command of the Bde has been relieved. The Article 32... read as Grand Jury is running the investigation. Its going to get uglier as it goes.

The World Tribune has an unconfirmed report that contracted interoggators from CACI International and Titan Corp were working in the prison.

Seymour Hersh (take ten points off for credibility) has a article in the New Yorker that is worth a read.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040510fa_fact

The article is widely based on a investigation report by Major General Antonio M. Taguba, the DCG Spt for Third Army.

One civilian lawyer widely quoted in the report was one of the defense team who Lt William 'My Lai' Calley off. While he might bring all the **** to the surface of this cess pool... he's gonna try the 'following orders' defense again..

Comment

I think this mess goes beyond the 7 already accused. These acts were not merely done by bored MPs for the sake of having fun as this recently released image shows:

Look at the terrified, naked Iraqi, why would supposedly well-trained and disciplined military dog handlers would set their dogs upon this poor defenseless man? He is unarmed, as naked as a bird and obviously showing no resistance. This fiasco goes deeper and more will surface in the coming days as Rumsfeld warned.

_____
                Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                -Unknown
                -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

"They were ugly images. Is this the way the Americans treat prisoners?" asked Ahmad Taher, 24, a student at Baghdad's Mustansiriyah University. "Americans claim that they respect freedom and democracy but only in their country."

How quickly Ahmad Taher went from requesting that he not be judged based on the acts of a few Muslims to generalizing about Americans via these horrible acts of a few sadist jerks, is something that only God knows.

While the morons who committed these acts should be prosecuted to the full limit of military justice, in the end no amount of convincing is going to turn the Ahmad Tahers of the Middle East into anything resembling objective observers.

Anyone want to put $5.00 on whether or not good old Ahmad was one of the Iraqis cheering the WTC disaster?

Again, the mistreatment of prisoners cannot be tolerated, but if the Ahmads in Iraq outnumber those who have the intellectual ability to figure-out that they've been liberated from tyranny, then the coalition's efforts are doomed to failure. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

Comment

My question is: Why take photographs? A testosterone filled event maybe? Wanting to brag to their buds? It's beyond me. It is the same as robbing a bank and taking your photos doing it.... Beyond me.
                    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Tip of the iceberg...

Lawmakers Say New Abuse Photos Even Worse

1600 images...these morons love to take pictures more than Japanese tourists in Rome...

"I don't know how the hell these people got into our army," said Colorado Republican Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell after viewing what he called a fraction of the images.

"I saw cruel, sadistic torture," said Rep. Jane Harman, D-Calif., who said some of the images were of male prisoners masturbating. She said she saw a man hitting himself against a wall as though to knock himself unconscious.

Others said they saw images of corpses, military dogs snarling at cowering prisoners, women commanded to expose their breasts and sex acts, including forced homosexual sex.

And between themselves too...

Some questionable photos appeared to have nothing to do with prisoners, including several that lawmakers believed were of sex between male and female U.S. troops.

Raunchy bunch eh?

Full Story
                      _______
                      With fame I become more and more stupid, which of course is a very common phenomenon.
                      --Albert Einstein

-Lou Chiafullo

Comment

Originally posted by Geeky Nerd
                        But most probably only the E ratings will get the punishment. The O's will almost surely find means to evade this mess.
                        No, the one MP Commander has all but been told that her career is over. She has been charged, essentially, with not having a proper command relationship over her troops.

Comment

Not to minimize anything, but it does occur to me that a veritable flood of images are coming to light only after the big furor. Makes me wonder if some are not manufactured by someone not named in any charge - maybe someone with an ax to grind, or who feels they may have something from all this. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X