Letter from an Iraqi.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from an Iraqi.

Found this in the latest edition of Private Eye (a UK bi-weekly satirical magazine).

I make no comment either way, just thought it was interesting...

Sir,

I am a UK citizen of Iraqi origin and have been a keen reader of Private Eye for many years. I have supported the war on Iraq as it was the only option available for removing the dictatorship in Iraq. I have been in Iraq recently after 21 years of exile and can assure you that despite all the difficulties, the majority of Iraqis are happy with the change in Iraq, oppose the violence of the insurgents and feel optimistic about the future of Iraq.

I note with regret that you keep attacking Bush and Blair regarding the war in Iraq despite the fact that the coalition forces, supported by so many countries, are doing their best to help establish democracy in Iraq. You even had space to publish alleged corruption by the INC but you never seem to bother mentioning anything about the dark forces of Muqtada Al-Sadr, the former regime agents and the Al-Quaeda agents who have already caused huge suffering in Iraq and who intend to turn the country back to the days of Tyranny.

More importantly, you never mention anything about the negative rule (sic) of most of the Arab media, particularly Al-Jazeera, and their direct colluding with the insurgents. This was clearly evident in recent pictures of kidnapping of foreign hostages. I find this surprising from a satirical paper which keeps a watchful eye on what other media outlets publish.

AMIR RAHIM,

London.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Re: Letter from an Iraqi

Very interesting Dr. S, and rather gratifying for all involved in operations in Iraq. Certainly this does not mean that our presence has been all sunshine and roses (especially in light of recent allegations), but it does mean that someone felt strongly enough about our actions to feel they needed to let others know about them. In a nutshell, that is "why we're there". We aren't in Iraq for any personal agenda, though certainly we will benefit in many ways. Our prime and motivating purpose has been to try to present an example to Iraqis (and others in the region), of what their nation can be. Many (I would say a considerable majority) have noted and acknowledged this, and while they may questions the means, they welcome the results. When democracy is firmly rooted in Iraq, it will be only the second democracy in the Middle East (joining Israel). As much as we may value our friends (allies seems inappropriate) in the region, NONE of them are democracies, nor do they show any predisposition towards democracy. Having visited each of them, I can comment on what a stark contrast there is between the average European nation, and the average Middle Eastern nation (excepting Israel).

I know that "crusade" is a poor choice of words in the Middle East, but I would like to think that this is how our presence is viewed in Washington DC, London, Rome, Warsaw, Canberra and many other capitals across the planet. It is a crusade to prove that democracy is not limited to Europe, America, Australia. If the Iraqis can embrace and sustain democracy, this will be proof that it can work also throughout the Middle East, in Africa, Asia, anywhere. The iron is hot, and waiting for the Iraqi polity to strike.
    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Dr. S post a link where you found this or give me a description of where it came from so I can show this to others.

Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Marines
        Dr. S post a link where you found this or give me a description of where it came from so I can show this to others.

Semper Fi
        Well, as I said, the magazine is called "Private Eye" and they have their website here:

Private Eye

But they don't have "current" content online - certainly none of the letters in the magazine are on their site.

The letter is in issue 1105, 30 April - 15 May 2004.

I could probably E-mail you a scan of the page if required. But the text of the letter is as per my original posting.

Regards,

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X